OMG - stunned by van der Poel's Strade Bianche performance

" For the final stinging attack in which he distanced Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck QuickStep) and Egan Bernal (Ineos Grenadiers), Van der Poel saw his peak power for the day, reaching 1,362 watts, continuing to put out 1,105 watts for 15 seconds, before averaging 556 watts for the remaining one minute and 23 seconds of the climb." (from Cycling News)

4 Likes

@afolpe Yes - I watched that race too. The whole race was really extraordinary in so many ways but the finish was unreal and those power numbers are hard to fathom. I have been on some of those roads many years ago and would love to ride that course.

3 Likes

…they practice a sport which I’m unfamiliar!!

8 Likes

@ronburgundy Well said!

1 Like

I nearly matched 50% of Ganna’s FTP for a whole minute once

9 Likes

Going to have to use this footage in a future SUF video!

20 Likes

That would be amazing. I know we are starved for races recently, but that race was a lot of fun to watch.

His numbers were mind blowing. For the last 90 minutes and 60km he averaged 470w I think I read. I just didnt want to believe it. At 75kg, he is a beast.

I heard wout van aert rode 150-200km a day with 3000 to 5000 meters a day for the three weeks prior in tenerife then flew over for the race and still managed to get 4th.

Absolutely bonkers.

2 Likes

I had to watch the finish 3 times - just amazing. I can’t imagine having that kind of power or energy after riding that course the way they did. Truly amazing.

2 Likes

Amazing race. Unreal performance by MvdP!

Just hit a new peak of 1418 for my NM in FF today, so in a few years…!! First just need to work a little on my AC. And MAP. And FTP… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

3 Likes

New immersive Norway-style video?

1 Like

One vote here for a Strade Bianche video done in the style of Cobbler. I know there is a vote here for one like Norway (which is cool), but I prefer “structured training”. Norway is more like racing, which I can do outside, or on other online platforms. A nice long (90 min) Strade Bianche workout with lots of Tuscan scenery would be phenomenal.

9 Likes

Blimey, an immersive experience trying to keep up with that beast?! 9H will seem tame in comparison.

2 Likes

MVDP’s attacks on those 2 climbs were insane. Completely unreal to watch him snap the cord on Alaphilippe of all riders. Julian is usually the one doing that to everyone else. Watching MVDP is a real treat.

A Strada Bianca video would be incredible, especially that last climb, which would be soooo painful for all us mere mortals. He did it in 20 seconds at 1004 watts. Would take most of us over 2 minutes to do that same climb!

1 Like

He is also on Strava :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just tying to master this…

3 Likes

Haha! I had that problem today. Found myself riding with my shoulders up by my ears. :see_no_evil::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thinking about that amazing sprint, he done it after a hard day in the saddle, I bet he could turn out some high numbers if he were fresh

1 Like

Yes, he should keep up this whole biking thing. He has potential.

5 Likes

Hi @afolpe.

I moved this topic into the Nine Hammers Tavern (category) and gave it a more search-friendly title. If you feel like it mismatches your intention, you can always change it again.

1 Like