Post Covid

It is now 8 weeks since covid, energy has been very low and so exercise for me has been stirring my tea, and the occasional trip upstairs to the loo.
I loaded in the new routine training, as it seemed the easiest way to start back.Yesterday 17 mins zone 1 with some low z2. I was getting very alarmed about being able to finish, but I made it, and boy, did I sleep well last night.

7 Likes

That’s a great start. Add in some Yoga to open up the chest with deep breathing. I had to do that after suffering a near fatal hiking fall that left me with a set of broken ribs AND a broken collarbone that we let heal naturally.

1 Like

@alchurch I’m in the same boat as you. I took my booster 8 days ago. My resting HR is 8-10 strokes high and my HRV is very low. It’s really frustrating to only do Z1 and Z2 exercises, but they’re essential to restoration of your cardio capacity. I’m doing yoga every day and short Z1 rides 3x/wk. As @jmckenzieKOS mentioned, walking daily is excellent. The aim is to keep exercising and gently challenge your heart.

Consider heart supplements for longer term care. I’ve added
Vitamin K2-MK7: 100 mcg
Magnesium Glycinate: 400 mcg
Taurine: 1000-1500 mg - split 2 or 3 doses.
CoQ10 200 mg

3 Likes

Thanks Sir jm. It is times like this we realise how fragile the human body is, and what a fine balancing act gaining fitness can be.

3 Likes

Each jab knocked me back also, I have never got back to pre jab numbers

2 Likes

Don’t rush it. I guess the virus affects everyone differently.

In my case, I have had it two times. First time I lost all fitness for three months. Could do nothing but recovery rides for my HR not to climb to zone 5. I have heard of people suffering the same effect at that time.

Second time (after vaccine), nothing happened. Went back to training hard after a week with no noticeable fitness losses.

1 Like

Excellent plan. Just remember to keep tracking your heart. That’s one of two major organs affected by COVID. If things don’t start improving soon, get ahold of your medical team and see if there is anything else to be looked at.

1 Like

Interesting to hear that some have lost fitness due to the vaccination. I’ve had 4 Covid shots (2 Moderna and 2 Pfizer). I had a pretty strong reaction to each lasting maybe 36 hrs, but was fine after that. I’m looking forward to getting the new bi-valent booster! Just kidding. I guess we’re in the minority now, but my wife and I haven’t gotten covid yet, at least not that we know of.

1 Like

Me and my wife are the same: we haven’t gotten COVID that we know of. That’s particularly weird because my wife is a high school teacher and is exposed to lots of COVID.

1 Like