Recovery Assessment

Q3: D
Q4: D
Not so good as my sleep

Currently 20 points

Qq @coach.jinger.g
For #3 - does water taken during exercise count (with whatever tabs go in)? Or is it outside that?
For #5 - I will often use caffeinated stuff before tough workouts. Are you measuring a serving as 100, 200, 300 ‘things’ of caffeine?

Q3 - A
Q4 - A
So, I’m at 17 points so far… Hoping these two will bump that up some more!

Q3. B (A in summer and C on non active days)
Q4. C

Interesting. Did the Ntl Sleep Foundations study specifically consider active to very active individuals? Would think that a total workload would be more indicative of sleep needed. If a non-Sufferlandrian Needs 7-9, then a Sufferlandrian slogging it out in the dungeons burning 900-1400 calories a session may need more recovery sleep. And that’s just rides. Add weight training, yoga, etc, your sleep requirements go up. While sleep is extremely personal, I simply can’t do my current load with anything less than 9.5-10. I’ve read about pro cyclists who get 10+ a night and still try to get a nap in mid-day. I’m not saying I’m pro, just that 20-25 hours of training per week on top of work and life require some serious sleep hours.

Also, water intake is very personable too. Some people barely break a sweat. Others sweat buckets. Being extremely active and riding a lot - especially in this heat - means you’re going to be sucking down more water and electrolytes, etc.

3 - an oz per lb of body weight a day
4 - A/C 2-3 before 3

1 Like

Points from #1&2: 9

#3 A

#4 A

I definitely make it a point to do both of these well almost every day.

Q3: C
Q4: D

Currently 14 points

1 Like
  1. B
  2. B
  3. A
  4. B

Some days I have caffeine in the evenings, but mostly before lunch. Depends on how I’m feeling that day.

UGH… sending you restful vibes tonight… I hope we did not jinx you!

YES! Sleep, nutrition, water, exercise, and relaxation… all super personal. And the awesome part about your reply is that you know your body and what you need. I believe taking the time to understand your personal mental and physical health is way more important than knowing any guidelines.
Keep up the critical thinking- love it.

3.C
4.C (can’t wait for the total coffee question, this should be fun)

2 Likes

Late to the party…
Q1: 5-7 C 5pts
Q2: 2-3 B 7pts
Interim score: 12 pts
Q3: 8-10 B
Q4: 0-2 A
I have a mild intolerance to caffeine so limit myself to 2 mugs of tea a day usually in the morning.

1:C
2:A
3:D (<5 on a rest day, much more if working out)
4:D

Q1 B = 10
Q2 B = 7
Q3 C - drink to thirst
Q4 A

1. B (10)
  2. A (10)
  3. B - most days at least
  4. A

Day three of our peak into how our lifestyle habits influence our training recovery!

Here are the point allocations from your answers yesterday. Reminder… we will be adding up our recovery score throughout the week.

Q#3: How many 8-ounce (.25 Liter) glasses of water do you drink per day?
A. more than 10 = 10 points
B. 8-10 = 8 points
C. 5-7 = 5 points
D. fewer than 5 = 2 points

The recommendations are 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women. Or the easy to remember rule of 8 x 8 oz glasses per day. These guidelines are for adults who exercise 30 minutes x 3 times per week inside. Training outside for multiple hours in various climates can definitely require significant modifications.

Q#4: How many servings per day and when do you drink beverages that contain caffeine?
A. 0-2 servings; before 3pm = 10 points
B. 1-2 servings; anytime, including after 3pm = 5 points
C. more than 3 servings; before 3pm = 5 points
D. more than 3 servings; anytime, including after 3pm = 2 points

According to the US Food and Drug Administration, caffeine can be part of a healthy diet for most people, but too much caffeine may pose a danger to your health. Depending on factors such as body weight, medications, and individual sensitivity, the recommendations can vary from person to person. Up to 400 milligrams of caffeine a day appears to be safe for most adults.

12 oz can of a caffeinated soft drink = 30-40 mg
8 oz cup of green or black tea = 30-50 mg
8 oz cup of coffee = 80-100 mg
1 oz espresso = 55-75 mg
8 oz energy drinks = 40-250 mg

And our NEW questions for the day-

QUESTION #5/10:
How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you typically eat each day?
note: does NOT include juice but does include full fruit or vegetable smoothie ingredients

A. more than 5 per day
B. 4-5 per day
C. 2-3 per day
D. fewer than 2 per day

QUESTION #6/10:
How frequently do your daily meals and snacks include a serving of protein (minimum 10 grams)?
note: includes beef, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, soy, legumes, beans, nuts

A. always
B. often
C. occasionally
D. rarely

When I drink that much water day, it is a lot of nature breaks (all clear). @coach.jinger.g Is the 8-10 recommendation based on a specific ideal height and weight?

Q1 B = 10
Q2 B = 7
Q3 C = 5
Q4 A = 10
Q5 A
Q6 B (I don’t measure this so it might be A)

Generally, I see water recommendations of approx half of your weight in lbs. (e.g. 180lbs = 90oz). The 8x8oz of water rule of thumbs seems to not be based on any particular science and has been argued to death. I’m surprised you use it. But, it is a good minimum. And depending on what we eat we can get a lot of our water requirement from our food. But I don’t want to start a water war, so feel free to ignore me. :slight_smile:

On to questions 5 & 6…

Points from #1&2: 9
Points from #3&4: 20
Current total: 29

#5: When I have my morning smoothie: A. Any other day, probably C.

#6: A - Every meal needs a protein, a carb, and a healthy fat. They should also include at least 2 fruits/veggies, but that’s unfortunately the one I usually forget and need to do better at. I make up for it on the days I have my whole fruit smoothie.

1 Like

Running total is 24. Turns out my water and caffeine intake are both at rock bottom.

Q5: A I eat a LOT of veg. Should eat more fruit tho
Q6: B I’m hyper aware that I don’t eat enough protein so I work quite hard to ensure I get this at every meal and often for snacks. Classic snacks for me are carrot sticks a hummus. Or Greek yoghurt and berries. On a bad day might be nut butter on toast

2 Likes
  1. B (10)
  2. A (10)
  3. B (8)
  4. A (10)
  5. B (No smoothies or juice. Most days I think I get to 5+, but I’ll give myself a B here.)
  6. B