Recovery Assessment

Q5: C
Q6: C

Currently 21 points

5C
6A

I really need to do better with my efforts toward question 5.

Bah! I can handle a water war… I like easy to remember guidelines and if they make you think about your own habits- then great! Even better if you find them to be incorrect and know the WHY behind it.

Sounds like we share the need for more vegetables?!?!

2 Likes

Ah! That is why I love this reality check occasionally- helps me make a few conscious improvements.

The typical recommendations are based upon a 140lb (64kg) adult… which is clearly not everyone! There are so many variables such as lean body mass and sympathetic nervous system activity… not to mention temperature and humidity.

1. B
  2. C ….difficult to judge though. Probably one meal a day with protein over 10g. Will usually have a protein shake after indoor sessions but often forget on recovery days

Have realised there’s a lot of room for improvement! Last couple of days have already started drinking a lot more water and less tea/coffee

2 Likes

Ah! Sorry I missed these specific questions!

Yes! Water during exercise does count- and will likely put you over the 10-8oz servings. And as for the caffeine servings it is 1 cup of coffee, or 1 cup of tea or 1 can of soda or shot of espresso.

Little reality check, right?

1 Like

Ooopppsss! I will totally change that if I give this quiz again… it should be 3 or more- thank you for pointing that out!

1 Like

It is already Day 4 of our recovery assessment week!

Here are the point totals for yesterdays questions.

Q#5: How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you typically eat each day?
A. more than 5 per day = 10 points
B. 4-5 per day = 8 points
C. 2-3 per day = 5 points
D. fewer than 2 per day = 1 point

Fruits and vegetables provide the vitamins and minerals essential for maximum recovery from exercise. They reduce the free radicals produced from high intensity training, provide antioxidants that decrease inflammation, and assist in the optimal function of motor nerves.

Q#6 How frequently do your daily meals and snacks include a serving of protein (minimum 10 grams)?
A. always = 10 points
B. often = 7 points
C. occasionally = 4 points
D. rarely = 1 point

High-quality protein is critical to repair muscle tissue that was broken down during training and to stimulate muscle protein synthesis for muscle adaptation.

And now the questions of the day!

QUESTION #7/10:
How many servings and how many days/nights per week do you drink beverages that contain alcohol?
note: includes beer, wine, and distilled liquor (vodka, gin, tequila, rum, whiskey, brandy)

A. 0 servings; never
B. 1-2 servings; 1-2 days/nights per week
C. 1-2 servings; 3 or more days/nights per week
D. 3 or more servings; 3 or more days/nights per week

QUESTION #8/10:
How many days per week (minimum of 10 minutes) do you practice mind-body exercises?
note: includes meditation, deep breathing, tai chi, stretching, hatha yoga, kundalini yoga

A. 6-7 days per week
B. 4-5 days per week
C. 2-3 days per week
D. 0-1 days per week

Running total of points is now 51.

Q7: A I never touch alcohol
Q8: C probably twice a week on average

Q1 - Q6 = 45 pts
Q7 = B
Q8 = A

Yes! I definitely need to eat more vegetables.

4 years ago my cholesterol was close to 280 and my doctor gave me one last chance to lower it naturally. I knew I had been eating maybe one or two servings of vegetables per week. Yes, per week! Most days I ate none at all. My wife and I did the Whole 30 challenge. So suddenly I was eating at least 6 servings a day. In just 6 months when I retested I had dropped my cholesterol over 60 points!

I’m better at getting at least one or two servings a day on most days. But I can definitely serve to do a lot better!

2 Likes

Recovery Score at this point: 30

Q#5 C
Q#6 A

Recovery Score at this point: 30

Q#5 C
Q#6 A
Q#7 B
Q#8 B

Recovery Score Q#1-6: 45
Q#7 B
Q#8 B

1 Like

Now for questions 7 & 8…

Points from #1&2: 9
Points from #3&4: 20
Points from #5&6: 20
Current total: 49

#7: C - This one is hard. I usually have 1 drink every night and that’s it. But, sometimes (like the last 3 weeks) I have had none at all. But since once a night is the norm, I’ll just go with C.

#8: B

Adding on…
Q1 B = 10
Q2 B = 7
Q3 C = 5
Q4 A = 10
Q5 A = 10
Q6 B = 7
—————-

Q7 A
Q8 A

@coach.jinger.g You might find the below article from a few years ago interesting. The increased flexibility was something that really impressed me.

I am scoring 57 points through 6 questions.

What Happens When You Drink a Gallon of Water a Day?

@emacdoug I had the same issue and fixed it with oatmeal, veggies, legumes, exercise and avoiding saturated fat.

1 Like