Rival Update Schedule

@Fletcher I’m contemplating giving Suunto a try instead…

1 Like

I came from a suunto watch before using a rival the last couple of years. I really liked it and am considering going back to the new Suunto Race. The thing I loved about the Rival was having everything in one ecosystem however all the promises I came to the rival for (hrv, resting hr, etc.) never came to fruition and at this point I don’t think ever will. If wahoo paired with Suunto (or similar) like hammerhead teamed up with Suunto I would buy a Suunto (or similar) in an instance.

2 Likes

The Race is such tremendous value, and gained the functionality I wanted (HRV/RHR).

2 Likes

The race does lol incredible. I used to be a Suunto fan boy. They have the best app IMO.

For me. What let them was the gps accuracy and the watch kept failing, freezing mid workout etc.

From what I hear they’ve come come through all those problems…

3 Likes

Hi, after reading all the review i have a lot of doubts to buy the Rival watch. It is at a great discount of 100€…Recently bought the Bolt and I’m quite satisfied with it. The watch will be used for biking to have an HR monitor and will also be used to track my weekly running to keep me motivated.

Worth to buy or is this a dump (100€) for a new model or due to no longer support

1 Like

It depends on how accurate you want your data, how serious you take your running and if you’ll be doing structured workouts from TP.

It’ll definitely track your runs. The GPS is okay, I generally would lose 500m(ish) off my 10km loop.

I wouldn’t rely on the in watch HR. For me it was rubbish. Chest strap or bicep optical all the way.

If you want a no thrills watch then sure, but if you’re like me, you’ll start to get frustrated with the lack of running specific features. RHR and basic mapping being my main issues. Also mirroring data to bolt feature is (for me) problematic. It crashed twice in my last Ironman.

For £99 it’s really cheap, most likely the cheapest sports watch out… there’s a reason for that, you get what you pay for!

1 Like

We still have hope to Rival update, right? :innocent:

1 Like

Wahoo employees actively use it, I follow them on Strava and see it, so I’d expect updates here and there as engineers potentially scratch their own itches on problems or things.

1 Like

For that price, it’s a steal. It’s a decent watch, just lags behind on some of the more advanced features. Yeah, hr consistency isn’t great, but watch based hr rarely is… Add a Tickr and you’ve got a great setup

2 Likes

Just recognizing we had exactly ONE upgrade for all of 2023, if I recall correctly. I was on the Oct 2022 version until Sept/Oct, I think.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

@Fletcher Ended up ordering a Pace 3 since it’s so cost effective, and what you’ve mentioned are the things I care about too. Plus I prefer light things on my wrist. Also can upload activities into COROS easily and include it in their training load/etc (for better or worse). Will give it a whirl.

1 Like

Cool, hope you get on with it. I very nearly went for the pace.
Currently apps like zwift can’t write to the Coros ecosystem.
I end up recording it both on zwift and coros then delete the duplicates in Strava.
You can import (and bulk import past data) into coros. But there’s a lag between training loads being calculated. I’ve attached I pic of a zwift ride I did so you can see the layout.

Also coros uses training load rather than TSS.

1 Like

I’m fine with the import lag on calculations, I imported my ride from today into it.

1 Like

Just one thing. you can’t add FTP and power zones for cycling. Only HR and pace zones. As a cyclist you may find that important

2 Likes

I don’t when it comes to my watch so no woes there. :smiley:

1 Like

@jcolp Just as an aside, keep us posted here (any of you) on the Pace - I’ve an interest to pick one up this year if the price is right…

Can do! It’s coming from the other side of Canada to me, so it’s a bit :man_shrugging: for when it’ll arrive. I’ll start a new thread once I start using it and link it here. Will also see if their arm optical HRM likes me or not.

1 Like

Doesn’t everything? :wink:

My daughter is up in Newfoundland, it seems like we always play the waiting game for things to get to her from “the west”. I’m guessing with the weather of late the ferries have had a tough time - they’re short on everything at the moment.

You’re not wrong! I was surprised by how fast at Christmas some gifts got to my brother in NFLD from here in NB. Basically over the weekend.

2 Likes

I created the thread over here: COROS + Wahoo

2 Likes