Roubaix! (Hommes y Femmes)

46.841kph. Holy hell.

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

10 Likes

Itā€™s insane! Deserved a look at historical recordsā€¦

Imagine in a few years on bikes as light as air with perfected fueling strategies. That has to be close.

5 Likes

Stewards inquiry for van der Poel and Philipsen doubling up on Degenkolb ā€¦

3 Likes

Yip yip. If Iā€™m going that fast, Iā€™ve got a very VERY strong headwind or Iā€™m descending and in both cases, it would only be for a few minutes. And thatā€™s on reasonably decent tarmac with 0 cobbles.

Amazeballs!

Also, yay Canada! Alison Jackson ROCKS! Pun intended.

6 Likes

Right? Donā€™t want to neglect credit for a great Femmes race as well this year. Finally getting enough distance on the route pre-cobbles to make it a proper event. A great ride and she was VERY happy!

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2023/04/paris-roubaix-champion-alison-jackson-the-antidote/

:woman_cook:t3: :kiss:

#velofemmes

10 Likes

Yeah, nearly 30mph? I could sprint that, for about 10 seconds. On flat. And also 0 cobbles.

5 Likes

Tailwind, surely?

Or is this a ā€œdivided by the same languageā€ thing ā€¦ ?

4 Likes

Iā€™m a Sufferlandrian so, headwind was correct. My error was saying descending, I obviously meant to say ascending.

:man_facepalming:t3:

7 Likes

ā€¦both ways.

3 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

7 Likes

My ā€œeyeballā€ of the regression is that the trendline is much flatter until about 2011 when the average really starts trending up. Interestingly, the biggest aero change happened in 2010 which is an outlier ā€œslow yearā€ (headwind). Cancellara became the first person to win Roubaix on deep carbon rims, and every winner since has been on carbon wheels. I donā€™t think anybody even starts on alloy rims now.

4 Likes

Thanks to @LVDD for spotting the original. I couldnā€™t help doing a modification.

Chris

8 Likes

Yay Photos!

3 Likes

I still like the Matt Hayman look of utter shock (hat tip: Butter)

5 Likes

Just the gift that keeps on giving, this one.

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

#notArockTHErock
#morethanyou

9 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

Many teams WERE using inserts at Roubaix. Then the riders complained about the weight. Now they are complaining about blowoffs. Thereā€™s a solution: 28mm tubulars.

1 Like