Strength Training - Favorite and Worst Moves

I’ve been doing the SUF STR programme for over a year now. What’s become clear is that there are moves that I LOVE doing (they make me feel strong, accomplished, badass) and those that I HATE doing (they make me feel weak, dumb, uncoordinated and frustrated…or they bore me). For me, mine are:

LOVE: Around-the-clock lunges (Hip hinges with reach and shoulder press are a close second). I just really like the movement, I can tell they help with my strength and they go by really quickly.

HATE: Side planks. I’m way better at them than I used to be, but these are always at the end of the workout and I’m tired and just want the session to be over. They’re still a weakness, but I don’t think I will ever love these.

7 Likes

I absolutely cannot do the planks with arm raises and I hate them. I’m trying hard to think of an exercise that I like but nothing comes to mind

4 Likes

Quadraped isn’t too bad! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Press-ups! They also ruin high side planks if they follow too.

If it’s the first session of a block then side lunges and squats also ruin you for a few days afterward. Still not solved that

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I forgot about press-ups. I still do them on my knees, actually, because I can get a lot more reps in. I guess I don’t hate them – although they’re hard – because I know I really need to do them and I’m (very) slowly getting stronger. But when there is that pressup + high planks + back extension with arm extensions…ouch.

1 Like

Another move I was struggling with but in just the last block seem to have nearly cracked two sets of is the knee to opposite elbow. Usually I’d get to about 10 reps and my core would be screaming like it’s the ninth hammer!

2 Likes

Favourites: Bulgarian squats, Reverse lunges with leg raise/arm press, Split-leg squats. All great moves and feel like they are getting me stronger.

Worst: Press-ups - I have no upper-body strength, Single-leg hip bridge with leg rotation (although i hate most variations of single-leg hip bridge), and High planks with legs to elbows. They all hurt and i get zero pleasure from them.

2 Likes

Loving the side planks. Why? Because I have the feeling they work immediately and transform my body instantly :sweat_smile:
Also, compared to the side planks used in the Yoga sessions (strong arm) they are a piece of cake!
:muscle:

Hate the Lateral Lunge with Extended Hands. Just doesn’t feel right and troubles me all the time…

3 Likes

Now that you mention Bulgarian Squats…I hate them. I really don’t enjoy those. The leg that is on the chair always ends up too tense and I can’t figure out how to get that leg to relax. I’m always happy when these are over.

1 Like

what about standard planks instead?
perhaps doing prone planks for a while instead of the side planks will gradually increase your core stability. later those side planks should become much easier!

1 Like

It’s better to do them raised than on your knees. So use yoga blocks under for your hands, or a low bench. This way, you can maintain the full and correct form and core strength while reducing intensity. Gradually lower the angle down to the floor as you improve and you’ll have the form and technique already dialed down.

2 Likes

LOVE: Bulgarian Split Squats, for sure. Best all around bodyweight leg exercise.

HATE: Romanian Dead Lifts? My balance laughs at me the whole time.

2 Likes

Ok. Already I’m loving this new forum. That’s reminded me about the suf strength. Side planks wobble wobble wobble.

Lunges ok. Now to set the plan up again :blush:

2 Likes

Favourite … (difficult term so I’m going to decide that favourite means most effective) - things like goblet squat (is never seen that before) and all the various lunge/reach with a bottle stuff that all in theory work my glutes.

Hate … whatever move has left me unable to sleep since Tue. There’s something going on in there (and I’ve been at this for months and months) that has started hurting me, but only next day.
A few weeks ago I got that super constant sore/stiff neck/shoulder thing that one sometimes gets … but it only lasted 48hrs so I didn’t put it down to STR, just lying badly or something but it was the day after STR. Then it went away.
Happened again this week. Woke up the morning after INT 3B and have been in pain most of the day and night since.
So there’s one move I hate. I just don’t know what it is

1 Like

Ah, DOMS, how I love to indulge in thee :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Ah sadly not. This is pain vs DOMS :frowning:
Something is torn/trapped etc. Sad day.

Oh dear, take care then!

1 Like

Not good! Might be time to see a physio/osteo just to get checked out? I get over to the chriopractor every couple of weeks myself as I’m trying to get back into proper alignment.

1 Like

Yup - would be straight there if I could find one - day 7 is a bit much. We’re still al shut though - so fine if i’s a medical emergency - go to hospital - that’s fine, but not things like physio and chiro :frowning:
I checked at the weekend - all closed and no plans to reopen soon (the one’s I tried). Bit of a pest

Good shout on regular trips - be interested t hear any long’ish term changes

Just started the triathlon all in plan for 4 weeks - Swim Strength 1A my new favourite strength session. Really enjoyed that and a really good plan in general for me to drop a few long runs in and keep me on track for my running with a bit of variety. Ditched my other plans (Training Peaks/Strava etc) etc and going with this for a month. Wherever you go there’s no place like home. IWBMATTKYT

2 Likes