Defender is evil

This is just a sadistic workout… 2mins MAP followed by 8 mins stewing in your own lacate which clears so painfully slowly… What makes it so hard is that slightly sub-ftp 8 min period is juuust doable but is extremely uncomfortable so is a real test of mental toughness. I could hold the average power for the ten min intervals fairly readily if a constant effort, but the first 2 mins at MAP make the subsequent 8 tortuous. Add in the short recoveries and 4 repeats in the hour… Bravo to whoever came up with that beast of a workout! So much more challenging and engaging than a simple 4x10 @ftp :ok_hand::exploding_head::hot_face:

20 Likes

Gaaaahhhhh. I HATE Defender. HATE it I tell you. HATE HATE HATE it.

5 Likes

You can do some yoga instead, then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

:joy: I HATE yoga. HATE it I tell you. HATE.HATE HATE it.

That’s why I love the SUF Yoga (don’t tell @abicarver aka GvA). 15 minutes I can do. Sometimes barely.

4 Likes

Sir Glen you know you LOVE the AGONY…you don’t want to admit it to yourself though.

Nope. Sir @jmckenzieKOS I can 100% in all honesty say I HATE Defender. If someone gave me a choice of Defender or taking a kick in the balls I’d take the kick (provided it gave the same training stimulus).

Edit: never mind. I’d take the kick even without the training stimulus.

12 Likes

Aw man, I love Defender.

I can never get round the thought that they mix up Nairo Quintana and Darwin Atapuma though. The switch between following the Movistar and the BMC riders bugs me.

Love the workout though!

6 Likes

Worst workout in the whole wide world.

6 Likes

…an oxymoron if ever there was one!!!

Just to show it takes all types, I do not mind Defender all that much.
I have done it 4 times in the past year, including 100% on the last ToS.

4 Likes

I am glad that not only I have the same feelings about the defender :slight_smile: It was never for me to do on the new (updated) numbers … :japanese_ogre:

That’s why I love the SUF Yoga (don’t tell @abicarver aka GvA).

Wait, Abi is Grunter? It all makes sense now…

5 Likes

Well it hasn’t been confirmed but I’ve had my suspicions for quite some time.

2 Likes

I read this and my mind went straight to that scene, even without your gif. Brilliant.

2 Likes

Love Defender. Hate Attacker. Weird.

3 Likes

IMG_0095

Weird! I actually liked Attacker. I haven’t done it since last year’s ToS but I do remember being afraid (cuz I thought it would be just like Defender). For someone who’s weakness is typically sustained efforts, there’s a BIG difference between a 6 minute interval and a 10 minute, plus Attacker has more variability that makes it, for me, much easier mentally.

2 Likes

I did Attacker at 100% on the last TOS.
I wanted to finish strong.

There’s a lot of heretics in this thread - off to the flogging stations for you lot. Defender + Attacker at 100% was a fine way to finish last year’s Tour. It was almost as good as Grunter’s Gran Fondo in 2020…

(Says the person with Sustained Efforts as his strength).

4 Likes

Ah, but the @Heretic did both at 100% to finish last year’s Tour . :slight_smile:

1 Like