Surprising struggle

Finished the TT plan, took 4 days off and decided to focus on strength /yoga with the base plan. The first couple of z1 rides were ridden in upper z2, kayabike yesterday was a struggle riding about 10-15 heart beats into z3. Today was half the road and I ground to a halt after an hour. I was riding with my HR about 10 below my normal stop stop riding level. I dropped to 90 watts under threshold but still could hardly pedal. I have spent 3 hours flopped on the bed, I was never like this with the chores, butter, even 9 hammers sees me bounce back fairly quickly .Whats going on? I was taking alternate sips of an energy and electrolyte drink every 5 mins…so that should not have been an issue.

1 Like

Hi @alchurch

Last year, during the transition between summer and fall I did a couple of outdoor rides when I could barely get my legs back without apparent reasons.
Everything settled back within a week or two of low/medium intensity job, and I returned to previous levels in a month.

I blamed the change of season.
Don’t take me at face value, this is just my experience.

Best wishes for your recovery.

2 Likes

Covid or coming down with something?

2 Likes

My WHOOP strap usually provides clues in how my sleep went etc that translate to on the bike performance or lack thereof the next day.

If you’re new to adding strength/yoga it may take a while to adapt. When I starred strength work, I battled with the bike for ages until I adapted

3 Likes

No help, but right there with you. Took a much-needed two weeks off while moving my daughter to university. Started a metric century plan last week, prepping for a knighthood ride end-of-the-year-ish. Butter, Shovel, 9H and Defender right out of the blocks. Had to dial down to 85-90% to make it through.

Long ride yesterday the first I’ve felt not complete @#$% in the past two weeks.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply Scotty, I feel otherwise fine

1 Like

That could be it, thanks for replying. Much of my training has been hard efforts with recovery.Sustained riding, even though low intensity seems to be draining me fast. Scotty, I do not have whoop, but after the lie down yesterday, I checked HRV and got one of my best scores in 6 months

Thanks for replying Dame Lisa. I have been doing an hour of pilates a week, but I have yet to adapt to the added strength program

1 Like

Might be it, but keep an eye on things, like getting ill etc. Sometimes I find I need a complete break between training plans of about a week as well.

1 Like

Also try tracking your diet for a week, eat normally and see if you are getting enough macros, potassium, magnesium, iron, etc.

I’d also say if it gets worse instead of better, consult your doctor.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea actually. I didn’t even think of that and I suffer from low iron :woman_facepalming:t4:

1 Like

I also recently started the strength training, and everytime I am very amazed by how much my legs hurt from these workouts. It seems like easy when you do it, and its just a 12 minute workout. But the next day and day after I really feel it in my legs.
Once i made the mistake to not do a proper warmup before the strength, and I felt that for at least 3 days. Have been skipping some hard workouts because of this, and thought waiting out the recovery would be better, or just doing a recovery ride instead.

1 Like

A big thank you to everyone who replied