The 9th Hammer -- Too much? Just right?

For me it is the Truest Test…The Crucible. I must have the A++ Game to do it justice. It is going to be Medevial with my new 4DP #s ! It is Perfetto!!! :facepunch::t_rex::volcano::muscle:image_759118a2-a8e5-4f43-8952-eb4e7a37fa6b20200311_231606|690x464

2 Likes

Haha - I’m ok without it :slight_smile: And special - haha - don’t recall ever thinking that, even my daughter probably doesn’t think that anymore

I love to hate it! You need to be on your A game, on a good day, with the planets aligned to complete it. And then it’s time to re-test.

I do not mind the hammers, I have the (often flawed) mindset that I can do anything for a short enough duration. I did the Wretched yesterday at 70% and could not complete the standing efforts, They wrecked me, after a few seconds my legs got confused on wether to go up or down, they went into some sort of spasm and I nearly fell off the bike. It is horses for courses

Never 100% completed. Last time was a disaster but had some fatigue onboard.

The previous time I dreaded as it was on top off my biggest number increase.
However I nearly made it apart from second half of last interval

2 Likes

I can not remember the last time I completed Nine Hammers with out the ‘spiral of death’. Usually first on hammer 5 for me. After starting back up i can generally get to hammer 9 before it happens again. Most other workouts (except Defender) I dont have this issue. I guess thats why my rider type is Sprinter.

2 Likes

@Stonechat out of interest, what is your rider type?

1 Like

Likewise. Never completed (following targets using erg)

I am currently a Rouleur, though Generally an Attacker, which I feel is most accurate. My failure is I think due to maxing our heart rate though.

1 Like

Only ever completed this once at 100% and numbers were way under! Never completed it in ERG at 100% and sometimes I can get to 9 before cracking but more often part way through 8.

Hardest workout in the library, even worse than Defender!, but VO2 is a weakness: for example I find Revolver, Violator and SHovel really rather comfortable

1 Like

Never completed 9H. Closest was the last time where I cracked in the 9th, usually crack much sooner. I don’t mind a workout that’s designed to cause failure, but too many of them isn’t good mentally.

1 Like

Ah, but if you look at the positives of this when you do complete your nemesis workout (for me Defender) the euphoric feeling is incredible and helps me mentally get stronger by knowing I am capable of more than I think of.

I would always focus on the positive rather than the negative

1 Like

I have completed 9H but only when I was comfortable with my numbers. New numbers, I’ve tried twice semi-recently. Once I finished but many pauses and the second time I got 6, then needed to stop. That being said, I’m trying again tomorrow.

2 Likes

that’s weird… I’ve never found Defender a significant challenge even though I’m supposedly weak at sustained efforts. I’ve even followed it with both GOAT and Power Station back to back and felt pretty ok after the 3some :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I do not mind the hammers, short efforts lots of recoveries, it is just a question of putting up with it until it is finished.It is the innocuous rides that catch me if I am not fully switched on .If I think a workout is going to be easy, when the discomfort starts, so does the alarm , and so does the doubt I will finish the session.

So I finished 9H. Needed a few pauses, so definitely not finished “properly”, but 9H crushed me. I need to remember to do a 15 min warm up beforehand. I feel like that might help. Ha. It’ll hurt badly no matter what. Cheers all. Stay safe!

1 Like

I have about 2/3 rate of success with 9H.
Sometimes I nail it and sometimes I reach muscle failure with about 30 seconds to go.
Such was the case yesterday.
What I did notice is that whenever I fail it’s at 30s to the end of the 9th, and my HR is at Absolute Max.
There are just a handful of sessions that max out my HR: FF, 9H, AVDP.
So… I’d say “Just Right”. :dizzy_face: :hammer:

1 Like

Now that’s strength and determination sir.
From someone who’s given it full prep and so on I’ve never got close to number 8. 5 or 6 get me.

1 Like

You will break through those barricades soon enough, Sir.
Surely a Sufferlandrian will never let Froomie beat them at a sprint.
How do you fair with the cadence targets?

1 Like

Ha. Not managed in years (when I have proper numbers). Maybe one day.

Cadence — good question - don’t think that’s any issue - not something that I remember for this workout so I assume the cadence is all fine.