TOS 2022: Stage 1 is OPEN! Let's hear your stories from the road!

Did stage 1, focussed.
It really didn’t seem too hard

2 Likes

Whenever this happens it’s probably worth doing it again…as a warm up…before Stage 2… using the GMTI and Nuclear options then report back on the differences :wink: :smiling_imp::joy::rofl:

Edit: also, don’t worry, the pain will come :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Stage 1 in the bag. I went in fully “warmed up” having done 2 hours of MTB in the morning, not my wisest plan, but rode the stage with Dame Louise - we stayed with the bunch, and managed to sprint to victory (honour & glory).

Like Dave said, had Tour Eyes already, so thought it best to ignore them for now.

7 Likes

Btw2, Sir @GJStache53 , as ToS-rookie who just recovered from sinuitis I finally understand your bucket size.

5 Likes

And recovery in the 6ºC pool… who needs cryotherapy? :cold_face:

14 Likes

Stage 1 done
I really enjoyed that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Not sure doing Half Monty yesterday was such a good idea especially as it upped both my MAP and FTP by about 10% right in time for the Tour
And then there was the dancing in the local Nine Hammers bar til 3am this morning…
Oh well, might as well start as we mean to go on
Allez allez allez!!!

10 Likes

90km road ride Weds, 3.5km swim and 61km road ride yesterday. Stage 1 done ‘Nuclear’ , made the most of the bits when it eased off in the peloton to be able to attack the yellow and orange sections. Survived and loved the immersive nature of it. Time passed quickly.

7 Likes

Loved the stage! The pro rides are so immersing that the 2 hrs flew by! Could never ride in a peleton, so claustrophobic! Will stick to triathlon where I only have to worry about keeping myself upright😅

6 Likes

Stage 1 done yesterday on the GMTI option. That was a long, long, long, long ride. I’m reminded why I prefer to ride solo–I did not like being crammed in with a bunch of other cyclists. Fortunately, the video was great and didn’t lead to motion sickness as I’d feared. Some of the other ProRide video has been an issue, so I was prepared with something else to watch, just in case. Glad I didn’t need it. On to Stage 2, after I do some chores. Laundry’s piling up and the tour’s just started.

9 Likes

Stage 1 done and dusted. Clara we almost had’em!! Tough Nuke ride but it is TOS. Feels great to be part of a collective effort to do something positive in this troubled world. Prayers for Ukraine…

4 Likes

Don’t you know you do not have to do the chores? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Stage 1 was excellent - both exhilarating and uncomfortable :grinning:. I got pretty swept up in the video and thus kept my cadence higher than I probably needed. I wished I had a rocker plate or something to help me feel the corners—still fun to watch and pretend along with the pros!

Lessons learned: I over-hydrated and had to get off the bike twice - maybe having a gel with sodium as well as an electrolyte mix was too much? or just plain volume of liquids too high? Also, about an hour in I was getting numbness in my right toe, around the base of the second or third digit. I’ll have to trouble shoot that esp. as I get ready to ride more outdoors. I wonder if being stationary makes me more prone to that, or if I’ll encounter the same issues outdoors.

Any way, it’s thrilling to be part of this! Looking forward to the next one!

8 Likes

Stage 1 done. That was tough. I knew it wasn’t going to be a great day when I was dialing the intensity down to 90% during the warmup ramp! And then down to 80% during the first climb, which is where it stayed.

Great workout! Love this ProRide concept and how they are executed in SYSTM. The time does just fly by.

5 Likes

May the Force be with you during the Tour. We’re off to start Stage 1. :vulcan_salute:t3::biking_man:t3::goat::ukraine:

12 Likes

Haha, same here. Was seriously considering relieving myself in a bottle… But knowing my motor skills, I decided against it.

5 Likes

x2 on this. I had high hopes of going Nuclear this year but the warm up reminded me how hard this workout and week is going to be. Dialed my settings back to the Focused plan settings. Still a very hard stage.

5 Likes

Right turn at the blue glass building, sprint past the McDonald’s then get ready for 5 minutes of real pain.

That was a good softening of the legs. I did at 95%, so about halfway between focused and nuclear. Hoping to keep that for most of the tour, save Model at full strength.

2 bottles of Skratch, 1 of Nuun, 2 Clif bars and some fig newtons to try and keep the tank full during the stage. I haven’t done any workout longer than Blender in 9 months so my stomach was not pleased with handling all that, but it was definitely for the best as I felt pretty strong through the stage.

5 Likes

:rofl: Wish the dogs knew that.

4 Likes

I’m thinking my vigilant adherence to the Advanced Couchlandrian Tendencies Accelerator Plan was not the best prep for the 2022 Tour of Sufferlandria. Thank Grunter for the GMTI option which on the final lap of Stage 1 barely GMTI but through it I am.

Hats off to the women of the pro peloton and anyone who races whether pro or amateur. I honestly can’t imagine staying upright with all those turns in a bunch and at those speeds. Truly awe inspiring.

The socks probably helped a bit :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

Super fun! Started on Focussed. Moved FTP up to 100% and MAP up to 90% a few minutes in. And then pressed myself to 100% for the last 10 minutes. I’ll feel it tomorrow.

I loved that we pulled back to main group after getting dropped. I could never have done it without Klara. Go Klara!

8 Likes