ToS '22 - Why do we fundraise for the Davis Phinney Foundation?

Sufferlandrians! If you’re new to the Tour of Sufferlandria, you may be curious about the charity we partner with – the Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson’s.

Who are we? We help people with Parkinson’s live well today.

We all want a cure for Parkinson’s. However, until that happens, we know that people are going to live a very long time with it; therefore, the most important work we can do is to help them live well TODAY. We do this by providing education, tools, resources, and inspiration that touch on every aspect of life: physical, emotional, intellectual, social, and financial.

Here’s just a glimpse of the resources that YOU are helping to create when you fundraise during the Tour of Sufferlandria:

Parkinson’s Webinar Series

The Victory Summit® Virtual Event Series

Every Victory Counts® Manual

Thank you, Sufferlandrians! We couldn’t do it without you!

Questions? Comments? Just want to chat (we’re pretty awesome) - you can always reach us at teamdpf@dpf.org or here on the Forum by tagging me, Rebecca @Rebecca_TeamDPF or Lauren @Lauren_TeamDPF.

9 Likes

I thought it was because Davis and Connie are Awesome, and since we are all Awesome too, it’s simply meant to be!

Do, or do naught. There is no why!

(Oh, and for Honour, Glory and Victory! Of course)

7 Likes

accurate

2 Likes

My stepfather, who served four tours in Viet Nam as a Marine Corps infantryman, suffers from Parkinson’s Disease.

He deserves to live well today.

7 Likes

Also, we realize that this friendly face is no stranger to us at DPF, but many of you may not know Davis Phinney! Read on for more about the man, the myth, the legend, the Cash Register himself…

Davis Phinney is an Olympic Bronze medalist and Tour de France stage winner who has celebrated the most victories of any cyclist in American history. From the late 1970s until his retirement from professional cycling in 1993, Davis achieved more wins—328 victories in all—than any other U.S. cyclist.

In 2000, after years of feeling not quite right, and an almost endless round of tests, Davis was diagnosed with young onset Parkinson’s disease (YOPD). Finally, the years of battling constant fatigue, the mental fogginess, the muscle cramping, and bouts of sudden numbing weakness had a name.

Realizing early on that he could take action to feel healthy and strong despite his Parkinson’s, Davis started the Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson’s to promote and fund innovative research that seeks to improve the quality of life of those living with Parkinson’s. Since then, the Foundation has expanded far beyond research to become a leading source for education and resources to help people with Parkinson’s take action to live well today. Annually, the Foundation reaches more than 500,000 individuals and families through online resources, events, community engagement, and more.

Today, Davis lives in Boulder, Colorado, with his wife and fellow Olympian, Connie Carpenter-Phinney. They have two grown children Taylor and Kelsey, who are involved with the organization in a variety of ways. Davis continues to celebrate the daily victories in his life, inspire others by living well, and share his message of optimism with those who need it most.

Learn more about us at www.dpf.org, or email us at teamdpf@dpf.org!

10 Likes

All of this is why we are here, to raise mosey for DPF. Many of us have personal ties as well to family or friends who have Parkinsons. My sister in law Lynda-Lou Stephenson was diagnosed with Parkinsons a year ago January. Ride for the Honour, Glory and Victory of our nation and DONATE to The Davis Phinney Foundation!! I/We thank you in advance. Every Victory Counts!!

7 Likes

@Rebecca_TeamDPF , would it be okay with you if I copied and shared this info with friends/potential donors who don’t know anything about Davis Phinney or DPF?

@DameCristy Yes, of course! You are welcome (and encouraged) to share this far and wide. Thank you!

Morning (EST anyhow),
I want to add a URL to a flyer I’m drafting but having difficulty finding the specific ToS donate “location”. I got this far, Tour of Sufferlandria - Davis Phinney Foundation, however, when I select the “donate” button, it takes me to a generic donation page. Appreciate your assistance.

1 Like

When you login to your account on the DPF website you are in the Participant Center. Scroll down and you will see you Personal Page URL. @Lauren_TeamDPF @Rebecca_TeamDPF I have added our Team DPF experts for additional help.

1 Like

looks like we also have to stay “logged-in” as well. otherwise it goes to any other page.

1 Like

Just copy the URL and you are good to go, you cna donate to my page right here … HEHE. 2022 Tour of Sufferlandria: Mr. Gerry Stephenson - Davis Phinney Foundation

@GEM I can send you your personal link no problem. You can also grab your link in your registration confirmation email, search for yourself on the event page here: 2022 Tour of Sufferlandria - Davis Phinney Foundation or email me anytime for help and tips to customize your link: teamdpf@dpf.org. -Peachy

2 Likes

All good, Lauren. I just need to be a bit smarter. :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like