Training for Ultra Endurance Cycling race

Have a look at Final Surge. They have a different funding model to Training Peaks whereby they charge coaches, not athletes. So, if you don’t have a coach it’s free. It’s not as good as the paid version of training peaks but better than the free.

Also, the PC/Windows/Linux software “Golden Cheetah” fills any gaps left. It’s open source and ugly, but very powerful. There is no phone app (as it has no funding at all). You can synchronise it to Strava (including free) so it’ll automatically download all your activities. It also has an indoor training mode so if you want to do workouts that exceed the Sufferfest maximum you can. Beware though, it isn’t intuitive. I’ve been using it for years and there are still things I don’t know what they are.

2 Likes

Hello Eerke,

Thank you for responding. I do have Final surge and Training peaks. I have tried Golden Cheetah but did not get it to work on my Macbook.

1 Like

Hey Auke,

Have you picked a plan yet, how is it going? It looks like you are set with a good few midway goals along the way. If at any point you want a few extra pointers or advice, @Pierre mentioned our customised plans already, here is a recap of our SUFCoaching service:

We offer basic or advanced plans for both Cycling and Multisport. The main difference is that on a basic plan you only talk to your coach once before your plan is put together and on an advanced plan you get a follow-up call (we recommend having this in week 6) to check-in on how your plan is going and make any necessary adjustments to the remainder of your plan. If you are working towards a long term goal, we recommend the advanced option so you have more regular interactions with your coach. It also helps when coming to renewal as you also complete a bi-weekly form with your training notes so your coach will have up to date information.

If you would like to go with a customised plan, here is what you can expect:

1. Purchase your chosen plan from our webpage
  2. Look out for a confirmation email from suf.coaching@wahoofitness.com. This contains a link to your initial questionnaire so the coaching team can find out more about you and your goals.
  3. Once you have submitted your form, our coaching coordinator will allocate you a coach and send you a link to book your call directly with them.
  4. Have your 30 minute interview call with your coach to discuss your goal and agree on a plan and start date.
  5. Your coach will then go and write up your plan on the TrainingPeaks platform and have it set to go on your agreed start date.
  6. Start your plan and achieve your goal!
2 Likes

That is odd. When I first ran Golden Cheetah it was on a MacBook Pro. I think running OS X Lion and ended on El Capitan. Switched to PC now. There’s a google group for the software where atleast 2 of the developers post.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up.
The customized plans with SUFCoaching are certainly a great way to reach my goals. I do love the road to the goals as much as finishing the event itself like creating a training plan, training, and adjusting the plan on the way with what my body and mind need.

I will keep in mind that there is professional help when I get stuck.

2 Likes

Hey Eerke, i got Golden Cheetah running on my Mac. A shit load of data and I have to dive in deep to understand how to get the most out of the data in a practical way.

2 Likes

Good. There’s so little evidence for what works and what doesn’t their approach seems to have been putting it all there in a confusing mess. I’ve forgotten how but I’m 99% sure you can even add your very own analysis using R. For example, I think there are 5 different PMC charts built in.

The one useful feature I didn’t find but now know about is the combine activities function. I swim with a GPS watch but a separate HRM with its own memory. Both workouts go up Strava, return to Golden Cheetah and there I join them (it’s under “activity” and then “combine activities”. Start with the first activity selected normally and then select the second when it asks you to pick an activity). Generally quite useful if you have different devices recording different things.

2 Likes

I have very mixed feelings about GC. Runs fine on my Mac, but their approach is to give you a development tool, rather than a straight analysis tool.
Doing the trial in WKO5, trying to decide if upgrade from WKO4, and still on the fence.

1 Like

Hey man,

sorry to revive this old post, but i just wanted to check how did your training plan work out, have you achieved what you were aiming for?

I am in a similar boat as you were, hoping to prepare for PBP August next year, so i have nice year and a half to train, but have to also finish 2 rounds of qualifications before that (200, 300, 400 and 600km audax rides).

So far, i only have few of them 200km under my belt, and since i dont have any history of structured training, i would like to just copy someones plan and start building from that.

I just did a 4DP test, am labeled as an Attacker with 220W FTP and VO2 as my weakness.

I would start with Gravel Grinder plan tomorrow, which would finish by the end of April.
Within that time i also have 2x200km audax rides, 1 of 300km and 1 of 400km a week after the end of the plan.

I would basically like to build my foundations till fall/winter, and then combine indoor and outdoor rides after that, leading to the actual event.

Can you share some light on the matter? recommend plans or series of plans?
Thanks in advance.

Hey Yvan,

Great goals!
My plan worked great and it made me improve my endurance a lot. Have ridden the RatN and in the summer other long rides like Audax Brevets 200, 300, 400, and 600km. After the RatN I trained a while with an other training app but now I am back on using Sufferfest and will do the Gravel Grinder plan again for the upcoming RatN in may.

So you could certainly go with the Gravel Grinder plan. I would set the end date on the start of the 400KM Audax ride and not a week before. in between the rides you could choose to do Building blocks with focus on your weakness. MAP blocks will also help you raise your FTP.

… and have a shit load of fun riding!

Thanks for a quick reply.

I think i will start with Gravel Grinder, which should last me till end of April… after that i will do some MAP blocks and some plans targeting the VO2 development in between brevets till the end of the year, and then again january-february start the same circle to prepare for the PBP. Starting 2023., i again have to do the 200, 300, 400 and 600, which, together with another Gravel Grinder plan and few targeted blocks should be enough preparation for 1200km of PBP.

Check out https://intervals.icu/ @peraklo I use it to keep track of my fitness and fatigue. I adjust the plan a bit by adding workouts so I keep progressing throughout the year.

1 Like

thanks for this link. it look so overwhelming and overkill for my needs i cant wait to try it and see where i am at :slight_smile:

haha! Riding your bike and having fun is the most important part so it is certainly not needed use that kind of software. Rideon!

not needed, but as an analyst by profession, the more numbers and charts, the happier i am :slight_smile:
if related to cycling, even better…

That is awesome! Then you will love it and it will add some extra layer to your cycling fun, Ivan!