Multi day event plan

Hi Folks,
How about a plan for a multi day mountainous event, 5 days.

Cheers

3 Likes

How about the hIgh volume mountainous fondo x 5 so you do each workout 5 times each day. It’s only 35-70 hours of training each week ;). What could possibly go wrong?

Kidding of course and also curious.

In all honesty, in my experience as not-a-coach, rank amateur, who only became a cycling enthusiast 8 years ago at 49 years old, I would have thought the Mountainous Fondo plan would suffice for a multi-day event.

3 Likes

@PeterEire There is a choice in the plan selector for epic events - more than 100 miles. That might be what you are looking for.

1 Like

Do you just mean the standard Century, Hilly GF plans etc? Or is there some other option I haven’t seen?

@Peteski Maybe - the plans seem a bit more nuanced now with short, middle and long distance versus the old style choices. I selected MTB but it is probably similar for road and gravel:

1 Like

There’s the 200 Mile Gravel plan.

1 Like

Ah I see thanks. For “Road” the options are as they were previously i.e. Century, Mountainous Fondo, Crit, TT, etc.

1 Like

@Peteski Here is the screenshot for gravel. I have to say I am definitely a fan of the new approach to make better distinctions between road, gravel and MTB distances.

1 Like

Yes, I quite like the new plan selector. The new option for 2:1 progression is great too. I’m wondering how the gravel plans compare with the road Century/Fondo plans. I’m guessing the gravel plans put more emphasis on repeated short punchy efforts.

1 Like

Good question. I just switched from the Full Century plan to the 200 Mile Gravel plan. I haven’t been following the Full Century Plan very well, recently, tho. But with the extra mileage there’s definitely longer rides on the long ride days.

Thing is the events average 100km with 3,000 mtr’s climbing every day for 5 days. An optimal plan for this would be great

1 Like

If this is something you’re plotting perhaps you can swing this over to the Training topic. More likely to get a coach weighing in than feature requests. Give me the word and illl do that for you if you can’t yourself.

1 Like

Yeah defo plotting 6th year coming up in 2022. No idea how to move to training section, appreciate the help. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m doing the 200mile gravel grinder plan and the weekend rides ramp up to 5+ hours on both days. And the rest is minimal. Definitely setting one up for some multi day stuff. I think after getting thru this plan, as long as you’re good with looking after yourself post ride each day, you’ll be fine going as many days as you want. Loads of our guys do TA here (3,000km in 10-30 days, it’s a brevet so the min allowable time is 10 days) and they just do it off the back of 150km one off road fitness. Bear in mind they’re carrying bikepacking gear and loads of it is gravel and hike a bike. It’s different to multi day gravel racing tho…like Migration Race. I’d guess you’re thinking a plan to train for something like that?

3 Likes

Done and read @DameLisa ’s post too. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey Peter,

At the moment we don’t have a specific multi-day event plan, however this is something I’ll bring up with the team. One suggestion would be to increase the volume of one of your weekend rides. Say you have an Endurance+ ride on the Saturday and a 2ish hour session with efforts on the Sunday, you could add some extra volume onto the Sunday ride. Just be mindful of recovery for the next week and maybe reducing a bit of the intensity during the week and have a really good 2-day big volume mini block at the weekend.

We can also tailor your plan for your specific event via the customised plans if you were interested in that option.

Hope that helps,

Andy

4 Likes

Thanks folks

1 Like

Hardest event I had to train for was doing half marathons on back-to-back days. I had to do a special training calendar for that where instead of doing a short recovery or a rest day the day after my weekly LSD run, I slowly ramped up the distance on that day until I had almost 2 long run days back to back. But cycling is a different animal than running, so that may not be as neccessary. But the 200 Mile Gravel Grinder and the Grand Fondo plans both have 2 long days in a row every week, so they can definitely do the trick.

2 Likes

I don’t see any weekend rides of 5+ hours on both days. Or did you mean 5+ hours combined? I do see plenty of those!

You might be a different rider type to me but I definitely had plenty of weekends with a 5 hour endurance on the one day and a few hours of intervals on the other day. I’ve got some with 4:30 endurance and 4 hours intervals as well

1 Like