UCI Ban pinless number systems

The UCI have banned the use of pinless number systems on cycle clothing for a number of cycling events. Why do they do this? I would have thought not having pins is a brilliant idea. NoPinz are offering a 30% discount on a new suit if the original one bought from them was purchased in the last 12 months. Sometimes you wonder what’s going on in their heads

3 Likes

Cynical response: because they can.

It does not apply to time trials, only road stages.

2 Likes

To give you an idea of how detailed the rules are, here are some other rule changes. Of course, for most of us this is totally irrelevant.

2 Likes

“The UCI claimed it has heard complaints from various stakeholders in the sport over visibility”.

In fairness, having witnessed it personally at races, it is understandable. Race commissaires have a really hard time to identify the correct numbers during races thought those pockets.

3 Likes

It’s worth remembering when attaching race bib at next ToS 2023 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Not a new rule, its always applied to everyone from amateurs to WT pros. The news is it’s being enforced. I think it’s about time they moved to having rider names printed on the jerseys for professionals along with allocating each rider a number for the whole season, perhaps based on their UCI ranking?

5 Likes
  1. The first part would make sense so clearly the UCI isn’t going to do that EVER. There are sock rules to enforce.

2. I can already hear someone whining “but I won X race and should get number 1 because it’s tradition”.

All satire aside, why this hasn’t been implemented yet is beyond me. I know someone will whine about tradition and that’s how it’s always been done but that doesn’t make it a good practice. I think in their last TDF as Team Sky they had everyone’s name on the collar of their jerseys, made it real easy to tell who was who.

2 Likes

Socks are important this isn’t triathlon.

2 Likes

Footballers have had their name and numbers on their shirts for ever so why not cyclists

2 Likes

In the sports that I know, the team and the number, not the number alone is the unique identifier. Is that true for UCI rider numbers? In US sports, the numbers are generally kept for the duration of their time on the team. Numbers of famous or important players are often “retired” from use by another player.

2 Likes

Footballers do that so they don’t forget their names…

6 Likes

Each race starts over with 1 and goes up to how many riders there are. Using the Tour as an example, the previous year winner gets #1 and the rest of his team and 2-8. Next team is 9-16, next team is 17-24, etc., etc… Then it starts all over again at the next race. They don’t so Team X 1-40, Team Y 1-40 or anything like that.

2 Likes

in the Men’s TDF team leaders always have a 1, with team sizes of 8, number ending in 9 and 0 are not used. eg. no riders 9,10,19,20 and so on

Previous years winner is rider 1 rest of the team are 2-8
The team that had the next highest placing rider on GC the year before have rider 11 as their team leader, rest of their team are 12-18
and so on…

5 Likes