Save Our Sport

Just when you thought the Power Station guy’s helmet was a bit, errrmmm…extra, there’s this

I can’t wait for the local TT weekend warrior types to show up on a club ride with one of these bad boys. #saveoursport

Honestly, I’m not bothered by this at all. I just think it’s funny the lengths teams will go for marginal gains. I dunno why the sport just doesn’t require everyone to use the exact same equipment?

9 Likes

5 Likes

Given the way the sport is financially structured, this is not surprising.

Unlike baseball, soccer, football, or other similar sports, cycling teams are not owned, they are sponsored. In order to maintain sponsorships, they have to continually win money. Hence, the pursuit of marginal gains is absolutely necessary. There is no surviving a string of bad seasons as a team that has an owner can.

4 Likes

Eventually, we’ll need helmets like that.

The Outer Limits TV 1963 colorized s01e05_itemimage

8 Likes

giphy-2001625400

all. the. hearts. :heart::heart::heart:

Bonus point for The Outer Limits.

4 Likes

If that’s genuine, that’s a lot of potential leverage on your neck if it hits anything. Luckily it’s safety equipment… :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Dan Lloyd’s right, though - it’s like they’ve just given up on any efforts to have visibility in pro TT events anymore. Again - all well and good on a controlled course (but for potholes and slick), but how many disasters have we heard about in the past few years from people out training and getting hit - or running into stuff.

:face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

They need to win, also their sponsors want to sell bikes and equipment, and what better way to sell your performance bikes other than have one underneath a tour winner? Then they can talk about their marginal gains advancements (eg aero seat tube) and people will value it regardless of its necessity for their use case.

I bet you the equipment sponsors would push back very hard on a rule change that had everyone on identical, standard equipment.

4 Likes

Made me think about Spaceballs :joy::joy::joy:

9 Likes

I guess the pendulum has swung the other way since 2022.

3 Likes

You have to have the right kind of aerodynamic forehead for that to work!

3 Likes

So about those new helmets…

:thinking:

1 Like

They’ll have to get the wipers installed for those wet courses

2 Likes

Like the abomination on the Tesla Cybertruck?

3 Likes

I have often wanted those for my glasses when I get caught in a rainstorm when riding outside.

4 Likes