Un-official LEVEL MODE MARCH MADNESS Challenge

I would say that level mode could work either way. On my dumb trainer I was always stuck with level mode. This was a blessing and a curse. When I was feeling bad - or at the end of a hard workout - it would allow me to build late into intervals and bail on them early. That can make workouts easier, but doesn’t help improvement. It also allowed me to work harder on some workouts when I felt great, such as riding the last two intervals in Defender and 10-20w higher than the targets. So, it kind of depends on your mentality, work ethic, etc.

That looks buttery soft.

4 Likes

Please do try it! It‘s great.
Well, level mode could let you off easier, but for me it made it harder. I wanted to go all out.
I think it fits perfectly into the video theme.

For me, it‘s now one of SUFs hardest workouts. But it is what you make of it.

I had a lot of fun and can’t imagine switching to erg for this.

2 Likes

I will make sure to take this into consideration whenever omnium may find it to cross my path :wink:

2 Likes

10 pts Sir! #ButterySmooth

3 Likes

Enjoy The Omnium, especially the last 45 seconds.

You can enjoy this thread:

For an historical perspective:

3 Likes

14 Vise Grips was fun in level mode yesterday. I was able to hit most of the targets pretty accurately, although I drifted above and below a bit more than I would have in ERG mode (obviously). In a way, knowing that I wasn’t looking down the barrel of an ERG-mode death-spiral helped me get through the longer intervals in this workout.

I don’t think I’ll always use level mode, but I’m enjoying this visit to Levellandria!

2 Likes

Thanks for the Omnium backstory! That made me laugh probably more than it should have. :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Magnito Butter? Oh - I am too late.

3 Likes

Commenting even though I am late because, well, it is “Butter”:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its ok @JSampson and @Wogrady, I guess you saw what workout it was before seeing the answer. I’ll give you 5 pts each :medal_sports:

1 Like

Today I did Igniter on level mode.

Then I thought I was doing Recharger in level mode. I was happily manually shifting gears and all seemed well… About 2/3 of the way through I thought my power numbers didn’t seem to match my gears and I was confused. So with just 2 minutes left I checked the settings… sure enough. I was still in erg mode! :man_facepalming:

What I later realized happened was this: I put it in level mode, but my trainer wasn’t fully connecting. So I unplugged and plugged it back in. It then reconnected and shifted back to erg mode. But I didn’t notice. :pleading_face:

The good news is, I was still manually shifting gears the entire time while completely oblivious, so I guess it still kinda counts.:joy:

I then did 15 minutes of no-vid cadence builds as penance. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Haha, I guess you figured out how to get the best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Had another level mode workout just now. And wow!! It was crazy good! Time for another guess then, a little Harder this time, but should not be impossible.

2 Likes

I’m excited about The Omnium, it’s on my plan in 2 weeks and I may slip it in this weekend too!

3/11 was Cash Register (in level mode of course!) which was a delight – the racing videos really shine for this challenge. :slight_smile:
3/12 was just FF, which is not terribly exciting in the context of this challenge, but I absolutely nailed the pacing:

3/13 is an outdoor endurance ride without too much structure – the aim is to ride hard enough to stay warm but not any harder.

3 Likes

Team Scream?

2 Likes

That is 10 pts to you @frenata!

It was Team Scream, in level mode even more intense than ever. Just, wow! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

New 1 hr badass power record.

4 Likes

Now you have me torn between The Omnium and Team Scream for tomorrow…

1 Like

Do both!!! :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Do it. It‘s an amazing experience.
Just make sure you have relative fresh legs and can really push it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes