Weight Loss Plan

There are literally no events here at the moment due to Covid, but even before Covid, there were virtually no cycling events near or in Auckland because of the astronomical traffic permit costs here when holding an event on public roads. Utterly heartbreaking. Currently I am just riding to get fit rarher than training for an event or goal, though I have some incremental goals that involve holding a colleague’s wheel in a 10km flat TT effort back to the office at the end of the long group ride. Given he cruises along on the flat at 47km/h and is tiny and provides zero draft, this is no mean feat :rofl:
Gravel and bikepacking is my real motivation. Big back to back days with a load on the bike :ok_hand:

I’ve been massively under on protein for ages. Corrected it now but I’m glad it’s not just me that finds it hard work to meet that target! It’s sometimes feels that cycling is also an eating competition!!!

3 Likes

When I’m doing extra protein intake I use Six Star Whey after workouts and Six Star Casien at night or on days I’m not working out. Plus eating food obviously. Too much protein supplement makes my pee stinky and yellow, so I prefer to eat Tuna, Steak, Eggs and Chicken. Food is stupid expensive in the US currently though, so it makes it hard to eat a lot of meat. I like results I get from creatine, but that’s hard to obtain nowadays as well. Cheese is still abundant but man will it make you fat.

That’s super fast, good for you hanging on to that wheel.

In the US there’s still tons of cycling opportunities and depending on where one lives, unlimited terrains and rides to do. I usually ride around my subdivision and little town, ever since I moved in 2019. It’s a little flat but I can still rack up 30+ miles and a really good workout. Before that, I was closer to the bike paths which here in Chicago Land can go on and on and on. The one bike path by me is like 76 miles long, and another 50+ by breaking off onto connected trails. Long long long country roads. Time trials, crit racing, CX racing, etc. Down south in Arkansas by my brother there’s unlimited mountain biking and gravel ride opportunities.

The biggest challenge for anyone who’s not retired here, is the idiotic work to live consumerism that drives this economic monstrosity. Literally most people do nothing but work, eat, shop and watch TV. It’s extremely depressing and cycling is a relief when a person gets time to do it.

So much this.

And then you have a good protein day, but not enough carbs, and you get off the bike in a cloud of “my body is eating itself” sulphur odor.

Good times.

1 Like

Personally, when not paying attention or caring, my weight slowly drifts up, maybe 15-20 lb/yr. When I decide to lose it, for whatever reason, I have no probs at all counting calories, losing 1-2lb/wk, and achieving my goal. This usually coincides with the decision to get better on the bike and train.

For protein, I created a list of cal/gm of protein for a bunch of different foods so I can get protein without too many associated calories. With whey isolate, I only use a small scoop on my morning oatmeal, or on rare occasion, a small scoop in a recovery shake of 50/50 kefir and soy milk.

Sort of feel like this is what I’m doing via trial and error.

Very glad to hear I’m not the only one who finds this hard (next to impossible). I love to ride (inside only unfortunately) and strength train and getting the right amount of food and enough protein is a constant challenge.

I managed to make my thyroid problems way worse last year eating too little and pretty sure I was close to or at the point of giving myself RED-S.

I found this lecture really helpful, although I do have to rewatch it occasionally and give myself a talking to :grimacing:

2 Likes

I’ve resorted to always having things like shredded chicken in the fridge so I always have protein snack choices. It helps a ton.

1 Like

Sounds like a great plan.
I clearly like to make a hard task even harder by being vegan with multiple food allergies.
Home made protein ice cream and cakes are daily necessities to get the calories in.

1 Like

I saw some posts about not eating enough, getting enough protein, etc and something about REDs which I don’t know what that is, but for sure I’m not in danger of any of that lol I’ve got enough fat stores to last me awhile.

I did take on the challenge of trying to use what SYSTM had in the way of pre existing plans to see if I can manipulate them into a weight loss/body fat loss program. I chose the “Century” training plan and set everything for as much as it has, most training hours, the highest level in strength training and expert yoga, hoping the combination is difficult enough to burn plenty of calories and divert some food stores to rebuilding muscles, while trying to eat better.

This is day 4, I’ve lost a solid pound and my legs ache like crazy, but I’m going to keep going with it to see if this will work to shed some fat and weight. It’s been rainy and cold where I’m at but I’m sure once I can take the cycling portion outdoors, the results will be more rapid.

I’ll report back in a few weeks to let you know how it’s going.

Wow, if you’re not used to it, such a jump up in intensity and training hours sounds like a fast way to burn out or injury. Look after yourself.

2 Likes

Sober training is crucial

I have put on a lot of weight over the years, my weakness is late night eating of junk type food. I fall into the mindset of I feel tired, I eat and rest and feel better. Energy runs low on a ride, eat something and it staves off bonking. If I have a hard suff workout and my legs are still feeling it in the late evening, something in my head tells me if I eat something all would be OK, logic tells me NO… this is where you gain weight, but a biscuit or tiny piece of cake hardly fills your tummy , I eat it, still feel peckish so repeat the process.I wake up during the night, legs restless or still aching a little, then some sugary food will help. This is probably 100% of my weight gain yet I do not know what to do about it. I know what logic tells me to do, ignore it, but in practice I don’t

1 Like

Have a protein shake at night if you’re hungry. If you’re battling with restless legs in the night, add collagen and magnesium.

What are you doing straight after a hard workout? Should be protein and carbs plus a cold shower on the legs works wonders. Try 3 eggs scrambled with a ton of veg post workout. It’s my go to. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Dame Lisa, restless legs are not a big problem, it usually signals a need for a comfort break. I find taking protein before bed also increases night visits to the loo .Post ride food is usually a thick slice of home baked bread with either a bowl of soup or a boiled egg.When the blood is in the legs and not dealing with the stomach I do not have much of an appetite .

I’m in northern Chicago, in Edgewater. I regularly ride the North Branch Trail and Lake Front Path. You’ve got me curious about that 76 mile path. Is that DPRT?

Do you go by a g/kg of body weight? Any adjustment for activity?

I’m heavy, and muscular. I have to eat a few turkeys to hit goals like that.

1 Like

G/Kg. And generally don’t make adjustment for activity level. I’m sure I read/heard somewhere that it doesn’t matter whether it’s a training day or rest day, it’s the same protein intake.

Hi Brian,

Popular long rides on the rails to trails include:

Fox Valley Trail from Crystal Lake IL to Oswego IL.

Fox Valley Trail & Prairie Path to one of the spurs (Geneva, Batavia, Aurora)… The triangle

Prairie Path from South Elgin to just beyond Maywood.

Great Western Trail from St Charles to DeKalb.