Weight Loss Plan

Very northern hemisphere attitude there.

1 Like

I donā€™t think SYSTM is for weight loss and neither does it need to be developed for weight loss.

There is plenty of information about how to lose weight and eat healthily out there in the wild. I donā€™t think we need more here. In fact, I bet most people on here already know how to lose weight and what to eat.

3 Likes

A possible plan Would be a combination between polarised and sober trainingā€¦

5 wo/Week

(4 sober, before breakfast max 50min and max 65%ftp. 1 Wo with a TSS of >100 within 70minā€¦)

When you say only 4/5 sober do you meanā€¦?

1 Like

Cmon! Who is sober before breakfast 4 times a week!? :joy::joy::joy:

Edit: I thought it was a typo but itā€™s a thing

Btw, welcome to the forums @HeroQuest!

2 Likes

Update to the thread that I thought might be valuable in understanding what Iā€™m suggesting. I just received a newsletter from Abi Carver, where sheā€™s taking about a podcast she just heard and possibly adding some stuff to her yoga routines, (any new ones may just be in her website not in Sufferfest), but she says:

ā€œI recently listened to this great podcast (about 5 times through!) with neuroscientist Andrew Huberman and Dr Andy Galpin: How To Build Strength, Muscle Size And Endurance.ā€

Link.)

ā€œTo summarise, Dr Andy Galpin believes that strength training significantly benefits endurance performance and he wasnā€™t so convinced that endurance training negatively impacts strength gains, as had previously been thought to be the case. However, he did add that this was only true if the endurance efforts were not excessively long and/or the athlete was not putting themselves into a calorie deficit by stacking endurance training on top of strength and conditioning.ā€

Iā€™m adding this into the thread because it makes perfect sense and may explain why I had success shedding dozens of pounds cycling and going to the gym back to back. For example, my regular routine used to be something like this, (weather and work permitting):

Sunday: As big a ride as my wife would allow, usually 50+ mile group or solo rides, sometimes crit racing.

Monday: 1+ hours at gym for stretching, free body and resistance training.

Tuesday: 1+ hours at gym for stretching, free body and resistance training.

Wednesday: 20 to 35+ mile group or solo ride.

Thursday: 1+ hours at gym for stretching, free body and resistance training.

Friday: 1+ hours at gym for stretching, free body and resistance training.

Saturday: 1+ hours of outdoor fun ride, recovery ride or an occasional 50+ mile endurance ride.

Perhaps I was experiencing a workout regimen with a steady caloric deficit, that may not have been making me a stellar bike rider, but was contributing to overall weight loss.

Interesting, did you track your calories? I lose almost no calories when Iā€™m at the gym (tracked on HRM) even when Iā€™m throwing really heavy metal around. The exception is KB work but even that is super low cal burn compared to on the bike. I struggle to burn 200cal an hour in the gym and easily do over 600 an hour on the bike. The benefit for calorie deficit from the resistance training as I understand it, is the after burnā€¦i.e. the muscles continue to metabolise more post a gym workout.

1 Like

This is correct.

Hi Lisa,

No I never really paid much attention to calories eaten or burned, with the exception of getting excited when my Fitbit would show that I reached my 2900 caloric burn for the day, or when it would crush it on big rides where burning 2500 to 4000 calories wasnā€™t unusual. In so far as tracking calories eaten, the only thing I did there was to be mindful of the nutritional value of the calories I was consuming. In other words, if I ate a foot long tuna sub at lunch with 1500 calories, that was okay because it was just tuna, while grain bread, lettuce, low fat mayo, and a bunch of veggies. Much better than having a couple slices of pizza or hot dogs that may be equal in calories, but primarily fat and salt.

I also tried to eat according to my workouts. So, if I was going to the gym where I might only burn 250 to 500 calories in an hour, but not need a ton of energy to accomplish it, then I would eat lighter that day. If I was planning a ride after work or on a weekend, where much of my time would be in zone 3 to 5 then I would eat more and more often.

Calorie counting and diets I canā€™t stand.

I donā€™t diet but I am very mindful of what I eat and have a pathological fear of under eating knowing what that did to me before. So I do track what I eat a couple of days a week to check Iā€™m in the right ball park, but it is not to maintain a ā€˜dietā€™

I was on a nice trajectory in 2018 to get under 180 and stay there as well as get more ripped. Then life happened and we bought a new home, and I jacked up my ankle and foot through the course of the move, then work got really busy for a year, so I skipped or cut short my workouts and started eating later in the eveningā€¦ Bam just like that I put 20 lbs on. Then COVID happened and I couldnā€™t go to the gym. I started working from home and my daily calorie burn went down in general. Then I started Sufferfest and have been doing that for over a year, but not lost any weight, actually Iā€™ve gained so Iā€™m at about 217 now. All that work and Iā€™m facing the challenge of trying to lose weight again ughā€¦ Iā€™ve got to try and build a plan, itā€™s too bad SYSTM doesnā€™t have plans the user can build, (or a built in weight loss plan).

With the nice weather itā€™s nice to take a ride outside and I already figured out a hack so I can bring SYSTM outdoors, but Iā€™m not sure how to pick a training plan in SYSTM based on what I want to do.

Gotta work on it this week. If I figure something out Iā€™ll report back.

The problem is fueling to get fitter and losing weight is hard. Very hard. Even top notch sports physiologists like Stacy Sims say do one, then the other. Iā€™m doing that now and it is HARD. And SLOW. AND I have to be absolutely religious about how I train and how I fuel and thatā€™s very much customised for me by a sports physiologist and I pay big bucks for the privilege. Doing it on my own before, I saw results at first, but gave mysrlf RED-s and trust me, you donā€™t wabt to go down that rabbit hole

3 Likes

+1. What @DameLisa said. Dropped a ton of weight when I first came back to the bike, got back to performance levels andā€¦

Feel like I need to drop another 5kg, but finding the balance is hard and slow (so. very. slow). Working with a nutritionist now on my end to try and dial things in, but I too find I have to be a zealot in sticking to plan to see any headway in weight loss (granted thereā€™s continual improvement in strength, power outputs, and BF%, but again, itā€™s trying to do both at once).

Would that it were as simple as KCal in vs. out.

1 Like

Yeah I almost DOUBLED my calories to start losing weight. Being female is totally messed. But that said, power on the bike is increasing. I need to test power again, but honestly going just by feel, and measuring how I manage riding with the boys, itā€™s close to back where it was. I dial in my daily protein target like a zealot and eat mega clean. Thatā€™s about it really. But if I get the protein target wrong just one day, it takes weeks to get back where I was. Meh.

Happy with the power sitting as is now, just dropping body fat slowly now. I seem to plateau on the one then the other. Weeks where Iā€™m not dropping weight, the on bike performance is excellent.

Also, a fat loss ā€˜training planā€™ would literally just be tons of riding just above endurance and be boring as hell and if I was riding that, my VO2 and sprint power would die a death. And my sprint is where it is at. Just ask the boys I ride with mwahahahahahaha

2 Likes

It sounds like probably most of your are at a much more advanced level than I am. Plus I didnā€™t renew my racing license so Iā€™m not planning on any races this year. Iā€™m just wanting to lose a minimum of 25 lbs and get back close to where I was a few years ago. It took 3 years to get out of shape, so Iā€™m not looking for miracles, just a way to have a workout schedule and calendar to follow and duplicate what I did before.

The problem Iā€™m having, and maybe those of you more familiar with the SYSTM software can help, is that I finished my last plan a couple of weeks ago and Iā€™m wanting a new training plan to follow, but thereā€™s only 4 cycling plans to choose from and Iā€™m inclined to choose the ā€œGeneral Fitnessā€, and pick the ā€œAll Purposeā€ with strength and yoga, but thatā€™s the same thing Iā€™ve done at least a couple of times with no weight loss. I see ā€œbuilding blocksā€ but not sure if thatā€™s what I need either.

I would like to open up SYSTM and see my workouts on the calendar, so theyā€™re easy to follow and so SYSTM tracks them, except I canā€™t figure out a way to create my own plan, choosing the workouts, days, adding gym style workouts, etc.

Anybody know enough about the software and calendar to help out? Once I build the plan for weight loss itā€™s easy to do, it just takes discipline. I would be happy to share it once itā€™s built but I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a way to do that either.

IKR? Plus meeting those daily protein targets is just @#$% hard!

1 Like

Yep. I battle to fit them in. Am very sneaky in my use of Whey Protein Isolate. Plus a serve of that is more g of protein that 100% whey. I also add in collagen for an extra 10g per serve! :grin:

1 Like

Youā€™re better than me. I have yet to find a whey-base that I can stand more than once or twice.

The amateur racing club Iā€™m in has a couple hundred members I suppose and thereā€™s plenty of women who can kick my butt at certain things. Nothing like drafting/hanging on for dear life behind a fit woman cyclist :wink:

Keep up the good work what sort of cycling and or events do you do?