What topics would you like us to Cover?

I’ve listened to all the podcasts so far. I really like them, but I’m surprised how little the Sufferfest training programs or individual videos actually get mentioned.

For me, an episode on how the programs are designed (how each session drives particular adaptation etc) and also how to structure multiple months of training would be great. E.g. Should we expect to make gains by following back-to-back All Purpose plans through the year?

I have also noticed that the podcasts so far seem to go into new territory each episode. That’s great that it is covering off a lot of ground but I’d (personally) now like to see some of them now dig a little deeper into areas already touched on. If there was an episode on picking the right training program or how they are designed they might indeed overlap with some content you’ve already released, but I don’t think that is a bad thing at all. I’d love to just hear you guys chatting about how awesome the plans we are trying to follow actually are!

7 Likes

I’d like to see an episode on how to get back into training after a 2 week block of interrupted training. I think many of us know how to deal with a week of decreased training due to work or vacation, but I find it hard to plan workouts after I’ve had 2 really bad weeks at work when I’ve had to skip or decrease workout length due to tough times at work. I finish the 2 weeks exhausted so I can’t even treat them as rest weeks.

2 Likes

Seconded! I would like do a couple day bikepacking trips but be fresh enough to return to work the very next day. I never figured that out (five years ago when I did bikepacked…)

1 Like

I didn’t see if it had been asked yet, or perhaps I missed it, but I think an episode on maintaining current fitness levels during the Spring/Summer race season would be useful.

I’m ending a training plan at the end of March. I have the first race of the season following a few days later, but due to vacations and work, I don’t have another race until early May. And then I only average about 2 a month from there.

1 Like

While many of us have posted some fantastic ideas above for possible new episodes, the Wahoo product and development people (hey @gpsjared) need to understand that the Wahoo Sports Science team is doing a such great job of communicating training tips and principles in a variety of channels (forum, podcast, etc.) but while this has been happening there’s a totally opposite level and quality of communication on progress with Systm’s development.

1. Calendar drag and drop?
  2. Strava import into the calendar? (see image below)
  3. Analytics?
  4. Workout history? (months later, Systm still doesn’t have feature parity with the previous platform)

Here’s an idea for a regular segment on the podcasts … put @David.McQuillen.KoS or @reid.weber (or both) to give an update on what the team(s) are focused on. No need to get into details and timelines. Just give us an indication that work is being done on the features you’ve told us are coming in 60 seconds or even less.

I get that product development isn’t easy (especially transitioning from a legacy platform to a new one!) so if all this seems a bit harsh, I really mean it as tough love and as a fan of the platform and community.

So to summarize, the product / dev teams can learn from the Sport Science team:

1. Please communicate more frequently about areas of focus for improving the app, even if tiny doses.
  2. Please consider also using the podcast to do this in addition to the forum.
8 Likes

Yes. PLEAAAAAAASE. I’d even do Defender ( :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: ) in exchange for this :pray:

8 Likes

Sorry for the silence on these things. We ended up not releasing as much as we (and you) hoped due to some app stability/bug issues that we hadn’t expected. Those have been cleared up and resulted in some massive performance improvements. With (most of) those behind us (although new things always pop up), we turned our attention to Workout History and Drag and Drop. You’ll see both of those things soon as they’re in the final stages of testing (which means they’re nearly ready for release all going well) - you won’t have to wait too much longer.

Strava imports to calendar and analytics are being worked on, but I can’t say anything about release dates for those, I’m afraid.

I’m thinking about the best way for you guys to get updates on what we’re working on and once I’ve settled on something, I’ll let you know. I’m committed to doing more, though, so rest assured I’ll have something to say on a more regular basis, even if what I say might be a bit (intentionally) vague. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Does this mean I have to do Defender?

1 Like

Let’s do it this way: Every time you do Defender at 100% I’ll give a status update on the app.

13 Likes

:thinking:, better call Gerry then Sir :nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Think of the others! Think of how much info we could get if you do a “Knighthood” comprised solely of Defender!

Yours in great anticipation …

8 Likes

I think, no, I know, that GvA is well aware that I have completed Defender at 100% exactly once in the last 3.5 years. Rest assured though my friends that when I do manage it again, he (and you) will be the first to know. In the meantime, enjoy radio silence :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, @titanicus, a “Knighthood” comprised solely of Defender…sounds like a job for the greatest defender of Defender this side of Agonia, Sir @emacdoug

5 Likes

I’m listening. If that’s what it takes, I’m ready and waiting. :sunglasses::smile:

3 Likes

Besides the interesting scientific insights, I would love to get some behind-the-scenes talks, on how SYSTM workouts and workout videos are developed. What do you consider when building a new workout? How do you figure out what workouts are beneficial and in what way? What data are you building on to consider intended workout outcomes? Are you building the workouts with a training plan in mind?
And what about the videos? What do you add when it comes to the videos and the storyline? How does the development of On Location ride workout videos differ from SUF videos? And so on and so forth. Maybe that ist enough stuff for two episodes. One for the science perspective on workouts and one for the filmediting perspective.

6 Likes

A peak inside the minds of GVA and his three henchmen, DMQ, SNH and SMC? Oh, such darkness there.

Behind the scenes on the set of The Model:

GVA: “Oh, that’s gonna hurt!”.
DMQ: “Sounds perfect”
SNH: “Oooh! Let’s make it symmetrical!”
SMC: “And totally drain their W’”

5 Likes

Maybe you’ve come across this already but I think you’d like it. It’s a really interesting interview with the Chief Suffering Officer.

In case the link doesn’t work the podcast is called From The Top: Building the Sufferfest.

6 Likes

Don’t forget to cash in on this @emacdoug :smiley:

Oh, snap! I’ve been missing out! :smile:

I did the first one at 100%. I guess I know what I’ll be doing every day the rest of this month. :wink:

2 Likes

Jeez. People. Taking stuff out of context. The deal is every time I do Defender at 100% Sir David said he’d give an update on the app. I haven’t done it at any percent percent since Feb 2021 and then ONLY because it was Stage 7A of the 2021 ToS. That was in the “focused” option with MAP at 93% and FTP at 90%.

So, don’t expect app updates anytime soon. Sorry (not the least bit sorry).

3 Likes

I was hoping you were not going to highlight nuance as it would have been fun to see/hear @emacdoug do 100% efforts and get no reward, as the reward is tied to yourself suffering this workout. Spoilsport.

3 Likes