What topics would you like us to Cover?

Apologies Sir. I had a moment of weakness where I actually, honestly felt pity for Sir @emacdoug. I will see myself out…

4 Likes

I would like to see an analysis of the impact rowing has on cycling. Lots of rowers seem to start cycling and do very well from what i imagine is a strong pysiological base, high V02 and established endurance. Those of us of a certain vintage are advised to do gym/strength work to maintain muscle and tendon strength. Rowing seems a good alternative, working 80% of our bodies muscles including the core. It seems a no brainer to row BUT 60% of the effort is in the legs. I worry when i row that i add fatigue to the legs unless i reduce my cyclling volume or intensity. So, how does one find the ideal balance that doesnt adversley impact on my ability tide longer and more quickly, especially up mountains? Where is the evidence to support rowing as a positive part of a cyclists training? And why doesnt systm have rowing videos? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@bob_dynowski Great topic and I would be interested as well. Right now I am rowing 2000m twice a week as a warmup to my free weight sessions. I alternate between heavier squats and heavier deadlifts on one day followed by lighter squats with more reps and some single leg lunges on the other day. I am doing some upper body as well.

I started with light weight for all exercises to let myself get acclimated and am now at a point where I am finding the lifting and rowing is not affecting my indoor and outdoor rides and I am definitely feeling benefits.

3 Likes

Your experience of using rowing as a warm up to lifting is very interesting. Sounds ideal as well as supporting the benefits of strength work for cycling.
Have you rowed for longer ? I row 3x per week on average 2-5000m on the days I don’t ride. I never row with any intensity, 23/24 strokes per minute, focusing on form. So the longer row will be up to an hour. I avoid stressing my cardio vascular system in anticipation of a bike workout the following day.I do feel the effect of the longer rows in the legs the day after and my interest is in whether that rowing fatigue/cumulative load/stress is a “better” for my legs than simply cycling more eg. Z1/2.

1 Like

@bob_dynowski Generally I keep it to 2000m because I want to move in to the weight work. It is really more of a warm up for me but I should try some longer distances one of these days.

@bob_dynowski Definitely a good question and I am interested to know as well.

I would also add that if you are not already doing strength work I found the SYSYM strength progressions to be really good and a great way to ramp up the right way before getting back into lifting free weights. I went through all 5 and even then I started lifting light and focusing on form in the beginning.

3 Likes