Why You SUFFER šŸ¦–

Great post - many thanks for sharing. That was very inspiring!

1 Like

Peteski, youā€™re right on the $$$ with that. I was in my late 30s in Italy getting my DOORS blown off by 60+ cyclistsā€¦I figured they probably raced with Merx, so my ego was okšŸ¤£

1 Like

Blender in a KoS runā€¦:t_rex::volcano::muscle:ā€¦Chapeau!!

1 Like

@SirShrek - Iā€™m pretty sure I would now be able to go back in time and kick my own 35 yr old ass despite being 15+ years older. I simply eat better, sleep better, train smarter and have a bit more free time. Those factors seem to outweigh the lost potential simply from getting older. I suspect the same goes for most ordinary folk who were not elite athletes in their prime. Inevitably there will be a turning point where age eventually catches up and I start to ride slower again, but I honestly donā€™t think that will be any time soon.

6 Likes

I like that attitude! I am buying what you are selling!

3 Likes

@Peteski @JSampson, We are just a better Vintage now.! Power!!!:volcano:

giphy_VJti8BmU85w0E_fixed_width_18246141932100|200x125

3 Likes

Sufferlandrias,
Thank for sharing all these great Suff Reasons :volcano::t_rex:

It has become great Motivation! I am Doing All the ToS I missed before coming back Home to Sufferlandria.

I just wrapped up Stage 2 of 2016, Revolver TWICE :exploding_head::volcano::crocodile:

Chapeau to You All!!!

Good thing GvA Doesnā€™t follow the Garmin :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Well said and I agree! Also to keep the abs defined to show off to my 20 year old nephewšŸ˜‚

1 Like

:rofl:Abs of GvAā€‹:crocodile:

Good luck for you KOS and have fun going it

1 Like

If you havenā€™t already, take a look at Cash Register.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve done Cash Register. It has a prominent mention and a couple clips of Davis Phinney in there towards the beginning (since, that was his nickname).

I bought my dad and I matching 7-11 jerseys for his birthday, this year. And thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be wearing when I start my KOS attempt.

7 Likes

As the old saying goes, better to wear out than rust out.

4 Likes

Doing the Fitness Kick-Starter plan. Just looking ahead at the Christmas gifts GvA has planned for me. Got excited and a bit giggly when saw and read the profiles of Nine Hammers, The Chores, 14 Vise Grips, The Bat, The Shovel, The Omnium and Angels planned over the next two weeks. GvA wins best Christmas present this year.

4 Likes

I am doing the Fitness Kick Starter as well. As the old saying goesā€¦be careful what you wish for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aside from wanting to be as fit and fast as possible, I genuinely enjoy pushing my body to the limits. Itā€™s fun to be in the middle of a hard workout like It Seemed Like Thin Air thinking: can I actually make it to the end of this? After a couple of months of Sufferfest workouts I almost get bored when I donā€™t have to dig deep!

1 Like

Hi Sir Evan (@emacdoug) ,

Great to see you complete KOS with success .

Congratulations.

Note: you really got me thinking about doing a KOS attempt. Thanks

1 Like

The last hammer of Nine Hammers is like this for me. Feels good when I can barely make, or fail to make, the last minute of this interval. Makes me think the power targets are about right and I have given it everything. If not, I feel like I have missed out

2 Likes

I SUFFER to build a better, faster, stronger, healthier me. But also for my father who has a form of Dementia that no longer allows him to do the things he loved to do. After he started getting worse I told myself (and my wife) I will not stop challenging myself and pushing myself. So I continue to find goals/challenges that keep my social status as ā€œThat Crazy Cyclistā€. This year I have completed 3 major goals. Being this is my first true year of competitive cycling, Hitting 4k miles for the year (starting March 22nd), taking first place at a local State Championship XC MTN bike race and also completing the KoS really set the bar high for 2021.
Ride on my friends.

• Chris
8 Likes

Really good reading through this thread to see peoples reasons for training as most of us arenā€™t heading to National Championship glory and all have different reasons for going through the Type 2 fun that we do. I definitely have non-cycling friends who look at what events Iā€™ve done in the past and shaken their heads.

Iā€™m a returning Sufferlandrian from a couple of years ago and during a recent extended stint in Couchlandria recovering after taking a family planning responsibility decision with my wife to get the :scissors: I realised that I missed having strength and yoga training integrated with my cycling training. So with there only being one program other than getting a personal training plan that does this I made the decision to return to Sufferfest.

The overall reason why I train is to clear my head and so that I am fit enough to ride at a competitive level in local club mtb and road races and mainly to be an active Dad with my kids. :sunglasses:

4 Likes