Your FTP/MAP/AC/NM improvements

please share what was used on the screenshot?

Intervals.icu :+1:

Hi all, Iā€™m new to structured training. Been using Trainerroad for the past 5 months (I did the SSBHV & am in the middle of the SSPBHV phase). I started at an FTP of 243. Iā€™m now intending to start on SUFF.

Context
3 days ago i did a TR FTP test that gave me 266, after a 5 day rest week. Today after 3 days of non-activity I did a Sufferfest 4DP test that gave me an ftp of 279.

From Trainingpeaks analysis both tests give me a 20min ave power of 279-280W. I know TR uses 95% of ave 20min power while SUF uses 100% of ave 20min after all the sprint efforts.

Question
Do I keep the 279 ftp from hereon & carry on with the build phase? choose middle ground ftp between 266-279? I LOVE threshold & VO2 max sessions but am a bit nervous with the new FTP so could use some advice.

Interesting screenshot about SUFFā€™s concerns re my MAP relative to NM.

Thank you

Take the 4DP results and see how the first few sessions go (assuming youā€™re switching to Sufferfest videos for the sessions)

Keep in mind, FTP numbers generated by different protocols arenā€™t directly comparable. And (iā€™m sure youā€™re aware anyway) sufferfest will base the VO2 targets off your MAP figure, rather than multiples of your FTP as Trainerroad does.

3 Likes

Hello Sech,

As noted above, I would advocate internal consistency within a platform - i.e. adopt the metrics for a platform that were governed by that platformā€™s own test.

Regarding your screenshot, whilst it may simply be that you have a very good FTP in relation to your MAP, I think it is difficult to pace the 5 min effort in your first full frontal. Therefore, it may be that you didnā€™t get it all out in the 5 min test which allowed you to go slightly harder than you otherwise could have for the 20 min effort, and that might be why the app is suggesting you consider manually reducing your 20 min power slightly. If you are following a SUF plan, then I would expect you will have a half monty scheduled in 6 weeks or so, and that will be an opportunity to re-estimate your MAP and FTP without the need to correctly pace.

5 Likes

Aaah understood thank you so much. Great perspective. Iā€™ll dial it down 2-3% & see how the threshold efforts go.

Cheers

1 Like

This is super interesting thank you for the insight around the VO2 Max/MAP numbers.

A question on indoor vs outdoor ftp, this morning I did a 4hr outdoor ride on road bike, with the first 1hr as TT. Surprisingly I hit 299w for 21m, I see Int.icu recommends 286w ftp while Training peaks & Xert gives 284w. 1hr power at 245w.

I suppose for my ego it might be okay to run with the 284w ftp & continue with the build workouts, should they prove unreasonably hard I then decrease intensity?

This is exciting & terrifying at the same time & Please excuse that Iā€™m using multiple platforms, Iā€™m testing which platform to use moving forward. Loving Sufferfest especially the 4DP approach.

Thanks again good people.