Zone 2 Redux

Subsequent to my successful ablation I have decided against tempting fate and pushing my limits. Given my new goals of sustainable recreational cycling, Grand Fondo’s, and wine tours, rather than Masters 65+ TT competitions, I am all about Zone 2 training. My plan is to get 8 to 10 hours of Zone 2 per week.

To keep this from getting uninteresting I plan to alternate time in high cadence/low resistance on the flats and low cadence/high resistance when the road turns up. The point of Zone 2 is the VOLUME to my understanding.

I mean one can work on form, but other than the volume is there anything more to Zone 2 training?

1 Like

This is 3 hours 15 minutes of WAAAYYY over my head talk, but excellent nonetheless. Dr. Peter Attia and Dr. Inigo San-Millan, PhD. All you ever need to know about Zone 2…revisited.

I have been following Attia for some time and have listened to both interviews with San-Millan. It’s the reason I am so focused on Zone2 training. What I find interesting is the measure of the “1st ventilatory threshold” as a reliable marker of upper Zone2. I find that my heart rate is ostensibly into Zone 3 when I start having trouble talking or the other signs of 1st ventilatory threshold. The wikipedia entry for 1st ventilatory threshold is pretty good and I have read the reference papers. Well, to the extent that I can understand them.

Really seems like volume or time in Zone 2 is the goal. I am wondering how to stay in that range of effort and make the most use of other training effects like smoothing out the pedal stroke, achieve higher cadences, strength train at lower cadences… you know “make cycling great again” given my limitations.

Thanks for putting this podcast out there for everyone to see. It’s really the best content I am aware of.

1 Like