40+ hour endurance ride 17,000 metres climbing: Gravel Grinder 200 or Hilly Gran Fondo plan?

just do the whole tour in one day. Joking aside, how are you going to do the virtual everesting? Is it just a case of selecting a hill, downloading it into a head unit and riding it?

1 Like

Thanks Sir @Martin! My expected time, including breaks for a triple was 60-64 hours. I’m definitely NOT super strong, and, at my current weight my FTP is just under 3 w/kg. For each ascent, I’d be looking at hovering near 2 w/kg which brings me to between 95-100 minutes per ascent. It’s a looong grind. You won’t have any problem keeping up for an ascent but may want to go faster than me just to get it over with, lol!

Hey @alchurch, virtual Everestings, in order to be counted as “official” by Hells 500 (the officials), have to be completed on Zwift (shhhh) or, most recently, RGT. You can pick any hill in those “worlds” and do repeats of them until you’ve reached 8848 metres of gain in one single activity, with no time limit, but no sleep allowed. I’ve done single vEverestings on Alpe du Zwift (their simulation of Alpe d’huez), Mt. Ventoux and Leith Hill. If you do a double or triple, you are allowed 2 hours total sleep for each subsequent Everesting after the first but still must be in a single activity (which includes breaks for as long or as little as you need). This started as a thing in the real world, and expanded to the virtual world, with specific requirements, a couple of years ago. You can read all about it at http://www.everesting.cc There are several Sufferlandrians in the Hall of Fame. Myself, Ross Fripp, Sir Renzo Castro, Sir Scott Frisby come to mind. Sir Michael Cotty could be in there if he submitted his epics retroactively.

2 Likes

Ok, I pledge to join for 2 then :slight_smile: (assuming I’m around obvs)

1 Like

Well Sir @Martin, as it is written, so it shall be done, :joy: If I do entertain this again, I’m likely looking at about a week or two post ToS 2021.

1 Like

Sir Glen, Best of luck. That sounds amazing.

1 Like

Will PM you. Cheers.

Your climb breaking during this attempt is legitimately the most 2020 thing that could have happened to your effort. Looks like 2020 struck once more to make itself known before being sent off on its way to oblivion where it belongs.

May this next attempt serve you better!

1 Like

Thanks @ridethecliche. I thought the same. As far as big goals go, I’ve had to shift gears before so this was just another one. I managed to get an annual elevation PR that would not have happened without the climb so that was a pretty decent consolation.

1 Like