A Week With Ian Boswell: Ian's Recipes

The Wahoo SYSTM ‘A Week With’ series allows you to not just train with Wahoo athletes, but to get a sneak peek at what goes on behind the scenes. In ‘A Week With Ian Boswell’, we learned that former road pro turned gravel champion Ian Boswell is as much of a beast in the kitchen as he is on the bike.

He and his wife Gretchen run a B&B called Siloside, just outside of Peacham, Vermont, where they serve up some serious fare. Ian and Gretchen were kind enough to share a few of their favorite recipes, which are perfect for a pre-ride snack or to refuel after a big workout. We can’t guarantee that these dishes will make you as fast as Ian, but they will put a smile on your face.

Kale Chips:

1 bunch of kale

1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)

Pinch of kosher salt

Nutritional yeast

1. Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C.
  2. Wash and dry kale, then rip the leaves into pieces by tearing them away from the fibrous stems.
  3. Place kale in a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss by hand until each piece is well-coated.
  4. Add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, approximately 1-2 tbsp, depending on your flavor preference. Toss again gently to coat kale. You can also substitute nutritional yeast for a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, curry, or other flavorings.
  5. Place the kale on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the kale is slightly browned in spots, crisp and crunchy.
  6. Remove from the oven, sprinkle again with a little nutritional yeast and allow them to cool for 5 minutes so that they remain crispy.
  7. Bon appetit!

Hash browns:

Potatoes (shredded)

Oil for frying

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Shred the desired amount of potatoes using a cheese grater and place in a bowl of cool water. After agitating for a minute in the water, put the shredded potato into a colander to drain or allow to dry on a towel.
  2. Heat a few tablespoons of your preferred frying oil in a pan. We use olive oil in a cast-iron pan for hash browns, but butter also adds a nice flavor.
  3. Add salt and pepper to your shredded potato and gently mix before placing spoonfuls of it on the pan with hot oil.
  4. Allow frying without disturbing so that the potatoes brown fully on one side before flipping.
  5. Flip when desired golden brown-ness has been achieved.
  6. Serve with a fried egg and some bacon!

Chickpea salad:

1 can of chickpeas

1 can of beans (black, kidney, red, or other)

1 can of artichoke hearts

optional but recommended: a handful of fresh green beans, chopped into half-inch pieces

generous handful of parsley, chopped

Dressing

1/4 cup olive oil

juice of one lemon

1 shallot, finely diced

salt and pepper to taste

Spoonful of honey or agave syrup, because Ian loves a little sweet in his dressing

1. Drain chickpeas, beans, and artichoke hearts. Dice artichoke hearts into smaller pieces if desired.
  2. Add chopped fresh green beans and chopped parsley.
  3. To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, shallot and honey / agave syrup.
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Pour dressing over the other ingredients and mix well. The salad benefits from some time to marinate, so allow at least 30 minutes before serving.

Hummus:

1 can chickpeas, drained

1-2 cloves garlic

3 Tbsp tahini

1Tbsp lemon juice

1 Tsp salt

1Tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup

1/4 olive oil or coconut oil

Spices as desired (curry powder, paprika, sriracha)

1. Peel the garlic and chop in a food processor.
  2. Add all other ingredients except the oil.
  3. Turn on the food processor and slowly pour in the oil until it reaches your desired consistency (60-90 seconds). Add more oil if needed.
  4. Taste test. Add more salt or spices if desired.
  5. Serve with chopped vegetables, crackers, or as a condiment for a sandwich or burger.

Roasted Vegetables:

3-5 cups of chopped vegetables (zucchini, cauliflower, green beans, eggplant, whatever you have on hand)

3-4 Tbsp olive oil

1/2-1 Tbsp Salt

1 Tsp pepper

1 Tbsp maple syrup if you like a bit of sweetness

1. Preheat oven to 400 F / 200 C.
  2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until vegetables are well-coated.
  3. Spread veggies out on a flat baking sheet.
  4. Roast for 15 minutes.
  5. Toss and roast for another 8-12 minutes.
11 Likes

All due respect to @IanBoswell, but I ride every day so I don’t HAVE to eat kale chips…

:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Our kale keeps growing so I’ve got to get creative with how to keep using it.

5 Likes

Fair enough - my wife would agree. FWIW, my daughter’s chickens/ducks/geese LOVE kale, so we feed it to them as a treat and convert it to eggs. Win/win. :wink:

Stay warm up there today. @#$% cold down here in Mass.

3 Likes

haha I’ll start sneaking kale to our chickens so I don’t have to eat it 5 nights a week all summer long :wink:

5 Likes

michael-scott-wink

Haah, I used to do this with my excess chard and chooks. :rofl:

2 Likes