After Covid - Training with an elevated heart rate

Well then it means your body is still repairing/fighting/… even if you don’t feel any symptoms. RHR is a good indicator for how recovered you are. Especially if we are talking 10BPM more.

When I had it a second time for a good 10 days after I was “healed” I felt tired one hour earlier than normal. So even if I felt 100% ok, clearly something was still going on. This stopped after 2 weeks.

Everyone’s path to recovery is different. For me it was also the first time a disease didn’t progress in a linear fashion. Normally once you start feeling better it gets better every day. This time I had a couple of days that felt worse than the day before, and then it got better again later.

+1. Also true.

1 Like

But I bet your HR was still elevated relative to the reduced power target. Get better soon

1 Like

Oh absolutely. My recovery plan has been to dial down workouts until I can keep my elevated HR in the recommended range. Seems to be working, but slow going.

Aside from the HR and fatigue, feeling a lot better. Thanks for the thought Lady Kiwi!

2 Likes

Good to hear you and others are on the mend!!!

It may be a long road back Cptn. Don’t rush it though we might want to. I’m still recovering from finding it TWO years ago. However, I’m getting better now and so will you.

Went out for a two hour Z2/3 ride in the cold this AM. Three weeks since COVID. HR felt pretty good, endurance not so great, recovery HR was…I believe “bollocks” is a term?

:roll_eyes:

Slow and steady.

1 Like

Depends if they were the dog’s or not…

Sir CPT_A, yes, slow and steady does it. You will get there. And the fact that your HR is better is great news.

According to my reaserach, FTP and MAP are supposed to not be affected much by Covid, but that wasn’t my experience. I reduced intensity across all metrics until I redid Half Monty once I was fully recovered - FTP and MAP were both down by about 20 W. I kinda drew a line in the sand and tried hard not to compare to the past. Then slow and steady to rebuild fitness (I did the general road cycling 12 wk plan plus other bits and pieces). Now, 4 months after that Half Monty, I am setting new PRs and feeling fitter with each passing week.

Hang in there, look to past to inform your choices, but focus on the future.

2 Likes

Yup, same @Natasha.R.

“Officially” started my first 2023 training plan this week, had Igniter today. First ride I’ve been able to keep HR in target zones at 100% since recovering from COVID, though endurance and recovery are still @#$%. Also noted that my avg HR from prior efforts was 10-12 bpm higher, so I was at the upper end of the zones during today’s effort, versus lower ends, normally.

Am also thinking about re-upping HM when I feel like I’m back at a good level, as I had just completed the HM/FF week for new numbers the first week of December - just prior to getting COVID/influenza. At this point tour week may be in jeopardy.

:grimacing:

Keep at it, fellow sufferers! We’ll get there!

2 Likes

@CPT_A I was just thinking about messaging to find out how you’re progressing. Sounds positive if you feel ready to start fitness Kickstarter :grin:. I’m not sure I’m there yet. Had a couple of days end of last week where it seemed HR was all but back to normal. Had decided to try mixing things with a bit of the z word (which meant a bit more z2/3 and a little some 4 power)and something just seemed to click. HR was in zone, came down nicely in recoveries etc. Was feeling full of enthusiasm for starting back at some “proper” training this week and got on tonight and immediately HR high, pretty much like first ride after covid​:sweat:. It’s a real blow to be honest. I genuinely thought my time in z2 boredom might be coming to an end. As has been said before on here, the recovery really isn’t linear but it’s a complete pain when you think it’s sorted, only to take a step backwards again. Missed my first girls’gravel ride last Friday and that stung a bit. I’ll get there eventually I know but it does feel so slow. Do keep with the updates - it’s good to hear how you’re getting on!

3 Likes

I hear you, @ClaireK. It seems to be going in waves - just like the virus did, frankly. Keep it up, we’ll slowly crawl back together!

3 Likes

The recovery continues…

Six weeks since infection, a month since I cleared it. Decided to do a HM today, as I’d just completed a FF at the beginning of December, and those numbers are a pipe dream right now. Goal was to get some achievable numbers in time to start the Tour-de-whatever-the-@#$%®️ prep plan at the end of January.

No surprises, MAP dropped 10% and FTP dropped 8%…which coincidentally is right in the range where I’d been dialing down effort % post-COVID to get my HR in the specified training zones.

Of note is on my last ramp I almost hit my true, lab tested (treadmill) max HR, which I’ve rarely ever done on a bike, or in a SYSTM/SUFF workout. Also - strangely enough - my cTHR actually increased by 5bpm, so not sure what to make of that. Maybe just a reflection of the (still) inflated HR?

So onwards and upwards, with more realistic (current) numbers. Get to where you want to be, start from where you are. sigh.

:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

#embracethesuck

7 Likes

Sounds identical to my post Covid experiences. All I can say is get off the bike and go walk for another few days. It’ll come back never fear. I’m now 9 months Covid and posting numbers WAY higher than pre Covid, so hang in there

7 Likes

@CPT_A Also note that there is a lot going around besides COVID and you may have been lucky enough to mix some of that other stuff into your illness. As @DameLisa notes just keep looking forward and taking care of yourself and you will definitely get to where you want to be.

2 Likes

Thanks Kiwi!

:+1:t3::+1:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

You at least have a new benchmark to work to now @CPT_A - well done on getting through the HM. I think I’d struggle to complete it at the moment. I’ll mention it in case it is of any help at all but I had a strange experience on Friday (20th). Got on turbo- usual dooms-ville, in fact HR playing up even more than normal. I’m not one for high emotion but I was thoroughly fed up - unclipped, got off, walked around and had a cry (I know - ridiculous!). Husband persuaded me to try again and I am so glad he did. Got back on and couldn’t believe HR was not just lower but actually matching pre-covid values for various z2/3 efforts. I was completely baffled but on googling there does appear to be something with crying and effects on the nervous system (lowering HR) because it impacts on the vagal nerve. I remember @Rearviewmirror mentioning doing vagal nerve stretches and perhaps there is something in that. I’ve started doing a few basic vagal nerve stretches evening and morning and it’s early days but there is some HR improvement. Maybe it was on course to correcting anyway who knows but thought I’d mention it should it be of use to anyone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ClaireK really glad to hear you’re progressing. As you say, I’m not sure how much of an impact the vagus nerve exercises has made a difference versus just time, but I have no plans to stop as it’s working right now. I also went and saw a doc and got a bunch of blood/heart tests and everything checked out which massively put my mind at rest. One piece he did say (he leads the local post-COVID recovery cardiology unit) - increasingly they think COVID causes nerve damage, rather than actual cardiac damage. Which is both reassuring, and also very weird/disturbing.

For reference - here’s where I was with resting heart rate and HRV status a couple of months ago versus now. Training load is a LOT higher now and it’s slowly coming together. November was basically just walking, as was December (with a couple of very low effort weight sessions to try to not turn into a total Couchlandrian).

Now I’m cycling/weightlifting/swimming 3-4 times a week, with the odd walk in there as well.

4 Likes

It’s quite stark when you see your data all laid out like that - even better to see all the metrics improving week on week.
Yes, it’s difficult to know whether it’s time or stretches or both that is helping but I’ll keep going with it too.
Interesting to hear what your cardiologist said about nerve damage. Maybe that ties in with the vagal nerve thing?
You sound like you’re definitely getting back on track which is great :grin:

2 Likes

I also share somewhat to say there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. My sense of smell still isn’t 100% (probably 70%?) but otherwise physically I feel normal now (if unfit haha).

3 Likes