Alternate Workouts for Outside MTB Rides

Wondering What workouts to use in place on the outdoor MTB rides (cruising, send it) when it’s bad weather and days can’t be swapped. I’ve been doing Endurance+, The Way Out, or trying out some of the GCN workouts.

1 Like

Hey @ErickT,
I think you’re on the right track for swapping outdoor MTB rides. For a “cruising” workout, look for workouts that are moderate or FTP based like Endurance+, Getting Away with It, The Way Out, G.O.A.T., Elements of Style, To Get To the Other Side, and yes, some of GCN videos would also fall into that category (Aerobic Endurance, Endurance ride, maybe Escalator). These are generally in the “base” category. For the Send It MTB rides, you could do any workout that is similar in duration to what your training plan calls for, and includes intervals of short to medium length. I wouldn’t recommend the “racing” category with workouts like Hell Hath No Fury which has long sustained blocks with pretty high efforts. Look for videos that more closely mimic a MTB training ride, rather than a race. Workouts that are categorized as Endurance, Climbing and Mashup should work to give you a moderate dose of intensity without too much fatigue so you can still hit the high intensity sessions the following week.
Happy Suffering!

3 Likes

Thank you. Would you recommend adding in an extra strength workout or core yoga session too to make up for the lack of multi-dimensional movement?

1 Like

I think it’s safe to add yoga sessions as you feel necessary, although I wouldn’t add strength as it may affect the quality of your cycling sessions and recovery needs. Keep your eyes peeled for new yoga and strength content coming to the SUF app soon!

3 Likes