An hour and 13 minutes of my life I want back

With the exception of half a dozen of the new ones, I have ridden almost all of the Inspiration rides. Some are clearly more compelling than other but until today, all were at least worth watching once. That changed today.

I rode The Length of Time. It was 1 hour and 13 minutes although it felt like 1 day and 13 hours. Easily the most painfully boring cycling video I have ever seen.

As filmed, there was nothing compelling about the story, nothing compelling about the rider, nothing compelling about the video and even nothing compelling with the music. Storytelling at its absolute worst. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I hated it.

There were MANY times where there would be a black screen with a date and time on it. It would cut to a completely incomprehensible scene of 5, 10 or 15 seconds, then back to another black screen with a date and time on it.

There was a scene where he rode up to a makeshift roadblock with a sign that said Road Closed. Next scene he is off somewhere. Did he ride on that road anyway, turn back, teleport to another dimension in time? No idea because there was no indication of what he did.

The most interesting thing that happened during the entire video was when I tossed my wet headband behind me, and it landed on the drying rack.

Sorry but I had to get this off my chest.

2 Likes

Ouch! I have not yet done this one, and based on your review, I might be looking for an alternative if/when it comes up in my schedule.

Hope the time on the trainer was worthwhile.

1 Like

A basic zone 2 ride so that had its intended value. If it comes up on your schedule, just watch anything else, paint dry, grass grow, anything!

1 Like

Is this one of those secret Mental Toughness sessions? Testing your willpower to finish the workout.
Thanks for the heads-up though

6 Likes

I am with you! I realise everyone has different tastes but for me it was painful … and I realised the length of time is indeed very very very very very loooooonnnnnnng. I was elated when we hit Mexico.

Yep, even the Inspiration rides I enjoy I ride to GCN+ race replays or doco’s when I ride them again.

1 Like

I used this one a few weeks ago as background to record a tough FTP/AC workout that I had planned. My focus on surviving the intervals superseded my puzzlement as to the storytelling “style”.

“I Just Want to Ride” is a shorter and perhaps better narration of the same route from the year before.

1 Like

This must be the answer. Nobody could have watched this and said it would ‘Inspire’ anyone and let’s add it to the library. At least that would explain why it is in what is an otherwise very good group of videos.

4 Likes