Covid vaccine and training

Hang in there - agree with the bitter feeling and strongly with “guard our immunity jealously in these days”. As a medico I’m always telling patients to take the day/ week off now to prevent it turning into nasty months later. Now I’m doing my best to take my regular advice to others after having done a hardish workout (HM) too early.

1 Like

Thanks @JSampson Yep, I hit it hard too early when I knew I still wan’t really up to it. Now D7 have a cold which I haven’t had for a very long time. Will skip today as well and possibly do Z2 ride tomorrow or day after. I know Z2 rides are so important in their own right but as a Sufferlandrian I really miss the hard ones - looks like I’ll miss both Omnium and Downward Spiral this week!

1 Like

@Craig.Quarmby Hang in there and I hope you recover soon! It is interesting - I feel fine after the shot but I have been take an HRV reading each morning and it is showing that there is definitely something going on. I am just going to stick to Z2 and below and start cranking again next week.

1 Like

I used Recharger as a way to check if I was ready to resume full training.

@Heretic I take it that went well? That sounds like a good option. After initially doing it wrong I got disciplined (initially forced to as I felt like $#*@) and took a couple of solid days off and got back on the bike today with a very easy “Thursday Fields” followed by a light Yoga session. Feeling good so tomorrow I’ll up things to a shortish Z2 and then either Recharger on Sunday or a longer Z2. Hopefully next week I’ll be back on the program … in time for my second shot the week after!

I got my second shot on a Sunday. Did not feel well (low grade temperature, fatigue, and muscle ache) on Monday. I did Recharger on Tuesday, and The Omnium on Wednesday went fine.

1 Like

Thanks @Heretic. From what I’ve read that pretty much follows the Covid Vax back-to-training guidelines - take the day after off and then a lower intensity workout to check before hitting it again.
For me I’m starting to think my body took the opportunity to force me to have a bit more time off. After an easy Z1 yesterday I did a Z2 today (1 1/4 hours so not long) and although systemically I felt OK I got off the bike with my legs feeling I’d done ISLTA! Looking back, in the 2 weeks before my shot I’d started experiencing little niggles that were new to me (e.g. one of my knees was sore for 2 days after Goat - a workout I really enjoy and never have problems with). So perhaps the intensity of some of the workouts had slowly started taking their toll even though completion was not a problem, and if anything volume was lower than what I’m used to. So I’ll do my best to listen to my body and take it easy for a bit longer.

2 Likes

I found this too. Don’t be fooled by the relatively low volume. The intensity of SUF training more than makes up for it in real world stress! So I’m now very careful not to add any extra sessions or any other forms of stress (like a COVID jab!) on top of my SUF plans. I’m also learning that it’s okay to bail out of a hard session or reduce intensity if I’m not feeling on top form.

2 Likes

Thanks @Peteski I’m learning! Also haven’t been off my bike for more than 2 days in a row in almost a year. Double whammy!

@Craig.Quarmby Have you tried an HRV app? I have been using one and it does provide an additional data point that can be helpful. It may not be completely accurate each day but it does seem to help with overall trends. In addition you can use the fitness / fatigue charts in Strava or intervals.icu as another data point. At the end of the day it comes down to listening to your body but I find the additional data points helpful as a reference.

Thanks @JSampson Yep, I’ve been using Heartwatch to track my HRV, resting and waking heart rate and apart from a few beats up in my waking HR for 2 to 3 days, the numbers have all been quite steady and not showing anything untoward. Although my HRV was unusually down in the 2 days leading into the Covid shot.
Strava - fatigue highish leading into the week of the Covid shot (was on a Wednesday night) but as per trend with coming up to a Recovery week in the plan.
So this time the numbers don’t really help, but there were definitely some niggles that I probably should have listened to.
Thanks again

1 Like

So here’s my experience…66 years old.

Pfizer shot 1 on April 5. Barely noticeable sore arm and I did a reasonably hard (for me) 40 km ride the next day with no noticeable adverse effects.

Pfizer shot 2 not until July 26 because up here in Canada we don’t have enough vaccine. I’m expecting a similar experience to the first but I see others have had a more difficult time the second time around.

And… I’m having trouble believing how many people don’t want to be vaccinated. What’s wrong with them?

Moderna1: sore arm, very tired after 12 hours, a lot of sleeping. Slight fever after 24 hours. Fever broke at 36 hours and all was back to normal.

Moderna2: see Moderna 1.

I was told by someone who should be in the know that based on my reaction to #1, I probably had been exposed at one point. Never knew it, though.

Had first Pfizer shot Friday - tried a workout Saturday and failed. Rest of the weekend it was like having COVID all over again! Quite unpleasant but understand the reaction to #1 was a high probability based on having had a hefty dose of COVID last March.

Looking on the bright side, taking a few days off from training every now and then will help me improve as I don’t typically take enough rest/easy days!

1 Like

First Pfizer shot last Wednesday. I had a mildly sore shoulder for a couple of days, enough to make me reconsider strength workouts, but it didn’t restrict my activity in any other way. No other symptoms to report.

Second shot scheduled for May 14.

1 Like

Have my first shot coming up on Wed. Nicely timed to my recovery week. If I need to skip a day it’ll be fine since i need the recovery anyway.

1 Like

Well, after taking yesterday off rather than doing another Z2 (Saturday’s short one suggested I wasn’t quite ready) I did Recharger today to see how I felt with those bits of “revving the engine”. Great! So back into the plan tomorrow. Although I’ll move the scheduled Violator until later in the week and bring forward The Way Out. Just to play it safe …

4 Likes

I’ll take the vaccine over the risk of COVID every time! We have a couple of good Canadian friends who have decided NOT to get vaccinated for whatever reason. They are well into their 70s too, so pretty high risk. Here in the UK most people seem to be opting in, which is really a no-brainer. I don’t know anyone here who has chosen not to have it.

3 Likes

I got infected 5 months ago and tomorrow I will be vaccinated (Pfizer) and I have questions because I will participate in a XCO race 2 weeks later.

Usually a week before the race I do some hard workouts like AVDP, Long scream, Downward spiral etc. What do you think, is that safe to do these workouts 3-4 days after getting vaccinated and feeling OK?
Also I am not 100% sure racing is safe just 2 weeks after getting Pfizer. Have you experience regarding this?

I had first shot of Pfizer 10 days ago.
I had ache on left shoulder and upper back. After a 3 days break in training, I have done Violator (per plan) 5 days after with no issue.
I had more issues with playing golf due to repeated shot.
Good Luck

1 Like