Cycling movies (cinema,films

Does anyone have recommendations of cycling movies? I just popped in The Triplets of Belleville. Looking for fiction films from anywhere about or related to cycling for a post tour celebratory veg session . Subtitles no problem. There must be a bunch out there from throughout the years. Which do you recommend?

1 Like

try this for some light-hearted comedy on the tribes and tribulations of an aspiring pro cyclist in the 1970’s: Watch Le Velo de Ghislain Lambert (English Subtitled) | Prime Video

1 Like

My husband and I watched The Bikes of Wrath last night and enjoyed it. Not so much a ‘cycling movie’ as an ‘adventure on wheels movie,’ but thought I’d mention it. I’ve always had more of an interest in bike touring than I’ve been able to convince my husband to do, so I like living vicariously.

The Bikes of Wrath

2 Likes

I watched the The Road Uphill last week which tells the story of the Schleck brothers trying to win the 2011 Tour de France. I found it intresting becuase its from before I started watching cycling and its the last year before the Team Sky mountain train domination which makes for some more exciting racing. Its available on Prime Video if you have that.

Youtube is really the place to go for documentaries from recent races though eg. Sunweb trying to win the 2020 Giro, Quick-Step at the 2020 TDF, Jumbo Visma trying to win the 2020 Vuelta, and Team Ineos following Geraint Thomas at the 2019 TDF.

3 Likes

Should be on Prime as well. It’s a dutch movie (guess there will be englisch subs), based on a dutch novel with the same title. Also a great read btw.

1 Like

oh and you know we have films and documentaries in the app now, don’t you?

3 Likes

“Breaking Away” is a classic from the 70s in case you are feeling retro. “Icarus” isn’t exclusively about cycling but is fascinating. Also there are several films in the SUF app that are really good and probably easier to watch without the additional noise from your fan and drive train.

7 Likes

Thanks, I sure do!
I didn’t make a very good title but was hoping for more escapist/fiction films that aren’t on Sufferfest.
(BUT I love a good documentary too.)

I love the “The Triplets of Belleville” - the chase scene at the end is hilarious and fabulous.
It has everything, Tour de France, indoor cycling, the mob, social satire, and Mozart.

2 Likes

Yes it has a permanent place of honour in my heart :joy:An incredible piece of filmmaking!

1 Like

I adore Tour of Ara. It’s only short but epitomises what I miss about home:

1 Like

Not so much a film but I’ve been watching Lance on iplayer and also Pantani, (not sure what it was on, think it was sky). Both really interesting documentaries.

1 Like

Blood Road - very inspirational from the ‘Queen of Pain’, 7 time world champion Rebecca Rusch. Red Bull Films

1 Like

My go to: American Flyer, Breaking Away, Pantani Accidental Death of a Cyclist, Bicycle Dreams and Race Across America.

1 Like

I second BREAKING AWAY and would like to add AMERICAN FLYERS starring Kevin Costner, Rae Dawn Chong, Alexandra Paul, David Marshall Grant, John Amos w/ Eddy Merckx cameo. Directed by John Badham (Short Circuit, War Games, Blue Thunder). also has a kickass Chris Isaak song.

2 Likes

Premium Rush with Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a fun film about bike messengers in NYC. I re-lived the experience of the movie my last visit to the big Apple on a Citibike. It was a blast!!!

2 Likes

Ride the Divide is a great documentary about the Tour Divide race. Inspired to Ride is great as well.

Race Across the Sky 1 & 2 are about the Leadville 100 MTB race

1 Like

Did you also go the wrong way on a one-way street?

LOL! I actually did. It was purely accidental and an additive part to the experience.

Glad it was accidental, if you are not familiar with streets and avenues in Manhattan that can be easy to do. Was it a street or an avenue that you rode down?

I do a lot of riding in traffic, and cyclists who do not obey the traffic laws bother me.

Did you ride one of the older heavy Citi Bikes or one of the newer ones?