Defender is evil

I think these two workouts play to different strengths. Even though I have a sprinter profile, I do much prefer to defend than attack. Except on a long MTB climb. That’s a fun place to stand up and attack and hear gasps of pain. evil laugh

3 Likes

Don’t know whether to be scared or update my last will and testament.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you should be scared or not, but everyone should update their wills from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

usual suspects… nice!

The third interval is evil, I was going absolutely fine for the first 2, riding slightly above target to keep my HR up, then the instruction on screen gave me the good news that the whole of the third interval was to be ridden at 100rpm. My HR soared and I had to use a lot of mental toughness to keep the power up, especially as on level mode on my dumb trainer I had to ride the 1st 2mins at 105rpm to hit the power target due to gearing. Was very glad the final interval was at a more natural cadence for me.
Loved the storyline and the race footage, thanks for a great workout.

6 Likes

Defender is one of my all-time favorite workouts. I usually hit some of my best power numbers, but it seems to hit in the perfect spot for the type of rider that I am.

And yes, the switch between Quintana and Atapuma bothers me, too, but the overall workout and the video and the music is absolutely perfect. For me.

I first did this workout on my manual trainer and eventually, even tho my 4DP numbers hadn’t changed much if at all, I was riding it at 10-20w over power targets for almost the entire video. If that doesn’t inspire you to work harder, not much will. Results like that may be why I keep coming back to SUF, and why I fell in love with Defender.

6 Likes

You need some serious mental help. :grin:

2 Likes

I might dispute that, but the evidence probably weights against me. :wink:

4 Likes

Well then I might need help too. I just did Defender last week without any real problems. The third effort (high cadence) was not as bad as I feared. That week featured: Defender, Power Station, and Who Dares.

3 Likes

No one is mentioning Revolver. That one 'bout made me call a “whaa” bulance. LOL

4 Likes

Bahahaha! Love the surprises in it. And it KICKS my ass everytime. Maybe it’s because I really need to work on my MAP/VO2. NM efforts are ok and I can ride all day at 55% of FTP…

2 Likes

Missed this thread and totally agree…hate Defender…but love Omnium. Go figure. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Defender is a sustained effort video and or near threshold. The Omnium is a short burst (NM) video. You just might be an Attacker vice a Time Trialist…

I like Defender and the Omnium is one of my favorites.
I just might be…crazy?

3 Likes

My first FF had me as a puncher, which felt right, tho am no Alaphillipe by any means. The next recast me as a Sprinter…I’m like “huh :crazy_face:”. I’m due for another which I’ll wait for after ToS to see where this round of training gets me. I’ll try Attacker again to see how it goes for me. Last time I rode it was that evil Defender-Attacker combo.

1 Like

Yep. Omnium is to your strengths, Defender and Attacker are to your weaknesses.

1 Like

Yesterday I did Defender again and for the first time it didn’t utterly crush me. The 2 minute efforts at the beginning were hard, but I never worried about finishing the rest of the intervals. My hardest moments were maybe between 2 minutes and 4.5 minutes in, but once I hit the five minute mark, I knew I’d be fine.

I am just over halfway through a Threshold/Sustained training program though, which is pretty much exactly what Defender is, so that surely helped.

Now that I no longer fear it, next time it will surely be agony :grimacing:.

5 Likes

I know they dialed it down at some point a while back because Rohan Dennis was having trouble finishing it :joy::joy::joy:

It still sucks Yak balls as far as I’m concerned :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Defender for lunch, well high cadence part almost killed me, but I survived. Lead and win defended :wave::face_vomiting:

5 Likes