Defender is evil

You’re THE living legend, Sir, for riding 30+ times of Defender earlier this year!

2 Likes

Today Defender came up in my plan again and this time I didn’t let it beat me. Completed at 100% and a third sign in 2 days of the progress I’m making over the course of my first programme.

12 Likes

I know Defender is a divisive workout, but maybe having not read the description in a while or perhaps never reading it all the way to the end, this on-screen narration during my most recent attempt almost made me do a spit take.

Of all the Sufferfest workouts I’ve done, Defender is the only one I have never completed successfully, even when dialing down the percentages a bit. And that’s not even counting the laughable 100rpms throughout the entire third interval, which I’ve never had anywhere close to enough gas in the tank by that point to even attempt (closest I get is around 95rpm for the first two minutes over threshold, then 85-90 for the remaining eight minutes under threshold).

I have never experienced anything remotely similar to this repeated failure rate with any other Sufferfest workouts, and the closest I’ve ever come to completing it was this weekend, when I still needed to drop out for one minute of recovery in the fourth interval.

I guess you just need a very specific rider type or strengths to complete this successfully? Very curious what the internal Wahoo metrics show as to how often this is completed successfully or how commonly it’s dialed down to what percentages compared to other Sufferfest workouts.

6 Likes