Distance changed after saving

I was planning a six hour trainer ride today (not exciting but good mental training at the same time), and as I got to the six hour mark I noticed how close I was to one hundred miles, so I decided to go ahead and finish the century. I watched the 100 turn over on the screen from 99.99 and was thrilled to be done. I hit save workout. And the summary came up… With 99.77 miles. WHAT? Nooooo! I did 100!
Anyone out there have it change the distance on you before? Can it be fixed? :weary::cry:

1 Like

Hey Dawn,
Did you by any chance do the one video that’s an “No Vid” one (Tempo 2 x 25)? Ya, that one has a glitch in it, I also saw that, it did a 100km ride and when the video got to between 99.30 - 99.70km or somewhere around there, it suddenly jumped to over 100km. I then stopped, got off and saved only to find that I only did 99.70km.

The way I sorted that out was to just pedal for longer the next time :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

This happened on Endurance Plus, and I’ve used that one a bunch of times without this happening before. Maybe it’s only at the rollover to 100?

1 Like

Are you displaying your mileage in KM?

I’m displaying mine in Imperial, but I had the exact same issue.

It appears to be a display rounding issue. There are only 3 digits displayed in the app. So, once you get over 99.5, the display will round up. So, shortly before I hit 99.6 miles, my display rounded up to 100 miles. I was watching and saw it happen, so I kept riding until the display hit 101 miles. After it saved I could see that I actually rode 100.6 miles.

This isn’t necessarily a bug, but it is very frustrating since 100km and 100 miles are big milestones and this makes it very difficult to make sure you hit the correct distance.

2 Likes

That seems like a reasonable explanation of what’s going on @emacdoug but clearly a minion should test this out ASAP to confirm. I vote they test the 100 mile case first. Simulation bot not allowed. :wink:

4 Likes

@JamesT Brilliant! :smiley:

1 Like

I am using imperial as well. That explanation does make sense, but I don’t have to like it! :joy:

2 Likes

Hey @Dawn2.0, can you please shoot the minions an email so that they can look into this for you?

2 Likes

@Cody.Moore submitted my issue, as well. Thank you!

1 Like

If a bunch of us all submit this same issue, the support staff will all be busy doing century rides this morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

Tho, if I got paid to ride 100 miles, I would probably do it. I just did it without getting paid, so, why the heck not! :smiley:

2 Likes

I‘ll give you $5 for every century you complete this upcoming weekend. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve definitely had discrepancies between the screen readout and what is actually saved. Typically reads low. This has been a bit frustrating when doing virtual races and having to ride a bit longer just to ensure the “correct” mileage for the virtual race is saved.

A secondary question - what workout did you use for a 6 hour continuous ride? The longest option I’ve ever seen is 4 hrs so have had to combine two workouts to get over 4 hrs.

1 Like

@MJM The app measures to the hundredth’s place, but the display rounds to the nearest tenth, so if you stop as soon as you see the display change 10.5 miles, it’ll show up as 10.46. But on the other hand, if you hit 10.5 and ride for another 20-30 seconds, you could end up with 10.54.

I rode It Seems Like Thin Air (mash-up) which is 2 hours 28 minutes long, but instead of finishing and saving when it ended, I paused it right before the end and dragged the slider back to the beginning. I did this twice. The second time I stopped riding once it went over 100 miles.

1 Like

The discrepancies I’ve had were more than just a few hundreths. Several tenths at times. Have also found the distance in Sufferfest doesn’t always quite match what is saved in Garmin Connect. Then when sent to the Ironman VR site there were even further changes. Differences were small but noticeable.

Great idea to pause and move the slider backwards! May have to try that technique next time I need a a really long trainer ride!

2 Likes

When I’ve talked to SUF support they ask if I’m using the Sufferfest virtual speed or using my trainer’s speed. That could be the difference. Check your settings when you do your next workout.

1 Like