Do I need a cadence sensor if I have a Tickr X?

Hey everybody!

I’m new to this forum and to the world of cycling. Only a month ago I bought a used road bike (LeMond Tourmalet) after several years of not riding a bike at all. And, basically, I’m hooked. I’m serious about training for life and longevity, and I decided this winter I’m going to train on a Wahoo Kickr Snap.

Still getting familiar with the ecosystem. The Snap is working great. I’m considering trying out SYSTM, and basically I want to keep my costs down and make sure I don’t end up with a bunch of subscriptions, equipment, and gizmos I won’t use for more than a few months.

I’m shopping for a HRM to replace my Fitbit Charge, and one that will pair with my trainer. I learned that the Tickr X also doubles as a cadence sensor. So my question:

If I get the Tickr X, will that be sufficient as a cadence sensor? Or is it worth getting both (or perhaps the Tickr non-X plus the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor)? Can anyone vouch for accuracy/consistency of cycling cadence data from the Tickr X?

While we’re here, is there any other gear I need to start Suf rides and tests like the Half Monty?

Thanks! :tada:

I have the TickrX and can vouch for its accuracy, surprising as that was to me. That said, the SUF app did not recognize it as a cadence sensor while other apps did. I believe even my garmin head unit recognized it but it’s been a while.

So, unless things have changed with SYSTM, it may be worth emailing the minions at theminions@thesufferfest.com if they don’t weigh in here.

All that said, I now use a regular Tickr or a Tickr2 and was using a separate cadence sensor the Wahoo one that came with my Kickr until they updated the Kickr firmware to report (estimate) cadence itself. Not sure if the Kickr Snap reports cadence directly or not.

For accuracy above 140 rpm, neither the Kickr, or the wahoo cadence sensor pick it up so if I’m doing crazy high cadence drills and shooting for 200rpm, I’ll use my trusty old garmin ant+ cadence sensor attached to the left crank arm of the trainer bike.

Thanks, @Glen.Coutts!

I did find this article (https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015060939-Compatible-Sensors-Power-Meters) which says Tickr X works for HR but not cadence. But it was written in 2020, so that would be pre-SYSTM.

1 Like

I just did a super quick test of the TickrX and couldn’t get cadence to get picked up in SYSTM even though the icon for cadence is green so it appears connected.

So, based on this very scientific result, I’d suggest you get a separate HRM and cadence sensor. It seems the Snap does not broadcast cadence either. Good luck!

1 Like

TickrX is not supported for cadence at this time. Works like a charm for HR though!

1 Like

For the price of a TickrX you could get a normal HR-strap AND a cadence sensor at Decathlon (ANT+ and BT compatible)

40€ for the Kalenji HR-strap and 25€ for the cadence sensor (magnetless) so you’ll have some spare change left.

For me the Tickr isn’t all that accurate either (but my heart is somewhat special and not 100% in order either, not dangerous according to my cardiologists, just different)

2 Likes

According the your marketing page, TickrX can be used for cadence for indoor bikes. Does that mean it works with Kickr products with SYSTM now?

IDK, but in my experience using trainers for cadence works only OK. Trainers determine cadence by counting torque pulses you generate each time you press down a pedal, so twice per rev. Those pulses need to be distinct enough and regular enough for the trainer to sense. At usual cadences and power, this works well, but at low power or spinning at high cadences they often don’t. A cadence sensor will be more consistent and accurate irrespective of power, torque, or cadence. There are a few on Amazon for <$20.