Elemnt Roam 3: battery life drastically reduced after update

I’m still (just) riding with a Bolt v1, and reading these comments, and particularly the lack of any official Wahoo acknowledgement of communication about the issues with the v3, makes me just not trust in the product or that the issue is being addressed.

Come on, Wahoo, basic customer comms?

Hi! I noticed the exact same behavior on my unit.

While I don’t usually take multi-hour pauses, I verified that during paused state, the internal temperature reading actually climbs sharply instead of cooling down, indicating that the device/processor is still running under high load or executing an active background loop instead of entering a low-power idle state.

Could you clarify if you had a pre-loaded route sync’d or active during that ride (even if not actively navigating), or if auto-rerouting was enabled?

In my testing, navigation cycles and active routing seem to trigger severe thermal spikes and aggressive battery drain, and it appears the device might not properly suspend these background calculations when paused.

@zgreg

Thanks for sharing your experience! That’s really helpful to know.

Could you clarify if during those long rides you were following a pre-loaded route with active Rerouting enabled?

In my case, the rapid battery drain and thermal overheating were specifically triggered when following a loaded route and recalculating paths. Knowing if your test rides included route navigation with rerouting would help confirm if that specific processing load was part of the issue.







-

Ride today with Roam 3 operating 4.75h, used 50% of a fully charged battery. This was worst consumption recorded at 10.5%/h. Normal experience with navigation approx 6%/h.

Significant difference, I missed a turn, went a long way off route before a 30min cafe stop. Roam 3 set to Auto pause, active during stop (I remove Roam from bike, walking to cafe counter, overrides auto pause, Roam triggers directions, then auto pauses when stationary)

After leaving cafe, noted temperature displayed as 28C (local temp below 20C today). Temperature reduced when riding, could be down to cooling by airfllow?

In summary, no previous experience of excessive consumption but this ride had a significant amount of route re-calculation.

@iagouaros I always have routes synced automatically via Strava / Ride with GPS, but I didn’t have any active or loaded during any part of the ride. My auto-rerouting is enabled on the device, but again, I wasn’t using any navigation features.

I’ve had my bolt v3 for a couple of months now and the battery life issue has been causing problems, I also noted that temp sensor gives dodgy readings. The Temp I can live with, but the battery life is very disappointing - I actually got this model as a warranty replacement for a v2 and I wish I could have another one of those back! I’ve raised a ticket, hope they can fix it soon or it’s garmin for me.

Hi everyone,

I’m back with an update after receiving my brand-new replacement ELEMNT BOLT v3 from the local distributor (Custom Bicycles) this Friday. Unfortunately, the results are extremely disappointing—the issues are not only still present on the new replacement unit, but they are actually worse.

Here is the breakdown of my test ride today:

1. General & Sensor Setup:

  • Charged to 100% using a proper charger (plus an extra 30 minutes to be sure).

  • Connected sensors: Heart Rate, Cadence, Radar (no external speed sensor).

  • Ambient outdoor temperature during the ride: 18°C – 22°C.

2. Navigation & Thermal Spike (The Main Issue):

  • A initial 2-hour ride without a route loaded ran completely fine.

  • As soon as I loaded a pre-planned route with Rerouting enabled, the internal temperature shot up within minutes from 18°C to 35°C, eventually peaking at 37°C (screen was hot to the touch).

  • Battery drained by 30% in just 2 hours (down to 70%).

  • Disabling Rerouting or pausing the route while it was active did not help—the unit stayed hot.

3. The Direct Proof (Canceling vs. Reloading the Route):

  • At 2.5 hours into the ride, I restarted the unit and ran it without loading any route. Within 15 minutes, the internal temperature continuously dropped from 37°C down to 24°C.

  • As soon as I reloaded the exact same route, the temperature immediately spiked back up to 34°C.

4. Altimeter / Grade Sensor Malfunction:

  • On top of the overheating, while the route was active, the Grade reading went completely crazy—jumping erratically between 0% and 15% on flat roads.

  • This resulted in over 250 meters of false elevation gain compared to reality (something my original unit didn’t even do).

Conclusion: Since a brand-new, out-of-the-box hardware replacement fails in the exact same manner, this confirms we are dealing with a widespread issue—whether it’s an unresolved 6-month-old navigation/routing software regression or a bad hardware batch.

I have reopened my ticket with Wahoo Support, sent them all photos of the temperature spikes, and attached the .FIT file showing the discharge rate and corrupted elevation data. I’ll keep you posted once I hear back from Jack/Wahoo Support.

Since your V3 has been replaced, hardware, corrupted firmware, cache/memory now ruled out.

Previously, I raised possibility that route planning software could be a factor. I believe that route file will comprise vectors with each end defined by lat/lon and elevation. Maybe some route planning tools use more resolution, more vectors? From a Google search there was a suggestion this may be the case for Strava.

I use Komoot and generally no excess consumption other than with last ride re-routing for 45 min of ride.

It would be interesting to learn planning tool used by V3 users experiencing excessive battery consumption / heating?

Thanks for the interesting perspective!

In my case, I always plan my routes using Komoot. On this test ride with the replacement v3:

  • The route was planned for a standard 3-hour ride.

  • The thermal spike and battery drain started immediately upon loading the route, even before any active rerouting was triggered.

  • I didn’t even need to go off-course; just having the pre-planned Komoot route loaded caused the temperature to jump from 18°C to 35°C (peaking at 37°C).

It’s really frustrating because my 7-year-old Wahoo BOLT v1 still runs and navigates the exact same Komoot routes completely flawlessly without any overheating or battery issues. It makes no sense for a brand-new, multi-generation upgrade to struggle with processing files that a 7-year-old device handles easily.

At this point, after two defective/failing v3 units, I am extremely disappointed and will be attempting to get a full refund through the local distributor.

Maybe some good news on battery drain, software update today:

ELEMNT WH49-302686 - 29 September, 2026

  • Fixed: Improved sensor connection reliability.
  • Fixed: Battery optimizations to extend ELEMNT run time.

Hi everyone,

Quick update on my situation with the replacement v3 unit:

Wahoo Support (Jack) just got back to me with a direct update regarding this ongoing thermal spike and battery drain issue.

They officially confirmed that Wahoo has just released a new firmware update specifically aimed at addressing this navigation/routing battery behavior.

Firmware Details:

Version: ELEMNT WH49-302686

Release Date: September 29, 2026

Jack asked me to update my device to this latest build and run a test ride or two to see if it fixes the underlying background loop/processor load issue during navigation.

As a Wahooligan of 7 years, I’ve decided to give it one final chance. I will update to WH49-302686, reload my standard Komoot route, and run a real-world test to monitor internal temperatures, discharge rates, and elevation/grade stability.

If this patch genuinely resolves the issue, I’ll be glad to keep the unit. If the thermal spikes and aggressive battery drain persist despite this update, I will immediately move forward with a full refund through the distributor.

I’ll post my test results here as soon as I complete the ride. If anyone else on this firmware build notices any changes, please share your findings!

Yeah, I will also update my device, re-enable rerouting and test.

I just did a 90 minute ride following a route and bolt battery didn’t move from 100%, this is with the new software update. I’ll do a much longer effort later in the week to verify, but initial results look promising!

Hello all, a new FW update has been released that will fix some of these battery drain issues, please see here New ELEMNT Update Fixes Battery Drain for Gen3's

Hi Helga,

If you’ve read through the posts, you’ll see that for a long time we’ve been attempting to identify circumstances / configuration that triggered excess consumption.

We advised users to configure Auto instead of Auto Max. Next we thought it was a BT issue with some smartphones

Recently, users identified route guidance and re-routing.

Myself and maybe other users in forum have a lot of experience in non regression testing of software (e.g. software development to EN50128). In our testing of the latest software update, it would help if you could provide more detail on the cause and modifications. That way we can apply stress tests specific to the root cause conditions and accelerate user verification.

IDK man it just works better

Hi everyone,

I just completed my first test ride following the ELEMNT WH49-302686 firmware update, and I’m happy to report very positive initial results!

Test Ride Summary & Setup:

  • Duration: 1h 45m moving time (1h 51m total time).

  • Setup: Pre-loaded Komoot route with active Rerouting, Bluetooth companion app connection active with Live Tracking ON.

  • Connected Sensors: Heart Rate, Cadence, Radar.

  • Battery Level: Started at 51% ➔ Finished at 42% (only 9% drain for nearly 2 hours!).

  • Thermal & Sensors: Internal temperature stayed completely normal throughout the ride.

  • Altimeter / Grade: Elevation and grade readings were accurate and stable—no erratic jumps or corrupted gain data this time.

First Impression: The excessive processor load during active navigation seems to have been directly addressed by this patch. A ~4.5% hourly discharge rate with full routing, live tracking, and multiple sensors is right where it should be.

I will perform a few more rides—including a longer endurance session—to be 100% sure, but so far, firmware WH49-302686 appears to have resolved the bug!

Short ride, map page 80% of time with loaded route and a deviation with fair amount of re-routing.

100% full charge before start. 1h 45 min Roam 3 run time. 1h 35m moving. End of ride still showing 100% :+1:

I’m not charging before next ride to get stats for longer ride average.