Failing all around

@toddsdonald The new calendar allows you to add workouts - I add warm-ups and mix it up with yoga or something like Ignitor or GCN Ready, Steady, Go or sometimes GCN Minimal Time, Max Efforts.

Coach Mac write a great post a few months ago on warm-ups. They are definitely more personalized and probably the reason why they leave it up to the rider to choose what option fits best for them.

As far as over 50 plans - generally the 2:1 option is where you want to be.

@toddsdonald Genuine question, aside from the warm-up/cooldown aspects - which Iā€™d argue are as important to 20-30ā€™s as to us ā€œveteransā€, they just donā€™t know it - on what are you basing this?

I suffer immensely in my SUFF workouts. Racing in my 20s-30s my 20min was probably around 315w @ 70kg, whereas today Iā€™m 53, (MUCH) less fit, and coming back from about 20 years away, so continuing to drop weight and build back up from 250w FTP.

Would seem to me that since SUFF bases workout intensity off my CURRENT 4DP numbers, that my system is being stressed, but no more than I can handle for my age/weight/level. I shudder to think of trying to run SUFF with a 315w FTP, but itā€™s not asking me to do that? Maybe someday.

There are any number of HIIT type programs available to athletes in all sorts of activities, itā€™s simply a training tool and technique. How would it be limited to 20-30 year olds if it takes current fitness into account?

1 Like

Hi CPT,

I suppose what I meant by that is there are particular training needs that older riders need. Regardless of the 4DP profile and the targets, the training is vastly different for veteran riders. If youā€™ve not read it yet, (or listened on Audible), I would highly recommend Joel Frielā€™s Fast after Fifty and Ride Inside.

It would be super cool if SYSTM offered training plans for older riders. The training plans that are offered are generic and although I am sure they are beneficial, they seem better tailored to very young riders. The dead giveaway is the lack of warmup and cooldown, which are two of the most critical things an older cyclist should do. Jumping on a bike and spinning for a few minutes that BAM into FTP territory and beyond for intervals is crazy. Iā€™m not training for the Tour De France or Olympics and Iā€™m not 25 anymore. When I ride ā€œfor realā€ e.g. outdoors it takes me at least 5 miles to warm-up and another few miles to cool down.

2 Likes

Iā€™m 51 and it never feels like that or thought of it that way. Some are definitely shorter than others likely due to the duration of the workout.And, others are harder due to when the workout was created. Being time-crunched the warm up and cool down fit my schedule.

2 Likes

These are good suggestions that I have done when I have extra time on my hands. The mobilise yoga series usually hit the spot!

1 Like

Yesterday the plan had 4-shorts with Joey. I turned off Erg mode and loosely followed the targets in level 2. Made 2/3 of the way through before feeling drained. BTW, the 2nd short is awesome!

Didnā€™t sleep well again last night.

Today I did Morning Yoga, Recovery A, Strength Level 2, and some foam rolling. Found some cramping in my quads and calves that I missed/overlooked.

Hoping to get better and more sleep tonight.

1 Like

Interesting. Its hard for me. Iā€™m almost 56. Iā€™d love it if there was a geriatric training program for people like me. It could be same as it is now, but tailored to old people with a longer warmup and cool down. Iā€™d rather have 15 minutes of warmup with 30 minutes of hard effort and 15 minutes of cool down in a 60 minute session, instead of 4 to 7 minutes of warmup followed by 50+ minutes of suffering because Iā€™m not warmed up, followed by a 3 minute cool down and getting off the bike still sweating at 150 bpm.

I am in my late 60s and I have started playing around with the number of rest days I need.
Sometimes, I do all or part of an Open workout if I feel I need more of a warmup.

2 Likes

@ErickT Iā€™ll look out for Four Shorts by Joey but I wouldnā€™t have thought that at 60-70% FTP it should be draining. Something is definitely not right. My suggestion would be to ditch the plan and take a complete break for a week or two. Come back only when youā€™re good and ready

2 Likes

In every post, you say itā€™s about your age. I suspect itā€™s about you personally. Iā€™m almost 58 and find the workouts as structured just fine as do many older than me. Every individual has their own needs no matter what their age. Thatā€™s not good or badā€”just a fact about the variety of people and bodies in the world.

You also say that you insist on riding the plans as designed instead of adjusting them for your personal needs. Thatā€™s crazy! SYSTM is a mass market internet product that costs a few dollars a month. It obviously canā€™t customize every plan for each individual riderā€™s personal needs. You could spend $50+ a month and get a coach to write you a custom plan. Or you could just make the adjustments you know you need. Many users do exactly that because they know themselves better than any mass market internet product ever will or can. Many have shared the adjustments they make in the comments above. I strongly suggest that you stop complaining about your age, be realistic with yourself about the warmup and cooldown that your body needs, and make appropriate adjustments to the workoutsā€”or hire a coach (through SYSTM or otherwise) to give you a truly customized plan.

9 Likes

+1

@AkaPete Didnā€™t want to come down on anyone, but that was my earlier point: @toddsdonald talks about an adaptive, HIIT program being designed ā€œfor 20 year oldsā€, when it seems like all youā€™re really saying is ā€œneeds more warmup and cooldown timeā€, which is totally under your own control.

6 Likes

I for one like the fact that the warmup and cool downs are relatively short. I can add in my own as I see fit without having to skip forward to the good stuff and/or feel like Iā€™m quitting out too soon.

6 Likes

Iā€™m 56, the warmups seem just fine to me. Not sure if walking the dog and climbing 2 flights of stairs to get back inside counts as additional warmup.

6 Likes

One thing lacking in these discussions is what your typical weekā€™s workouts look like. How many hours, cumulative TSS etc. I donā€™t know we could definitely suggest overtraining merely hearing your symptoms.

Sounds like a warm up to me!

4 Likes

My opinion here. @toddsdonald

1. To be to the point, I think this type of mindset could be holding you back. When I find myself thinking this way, it is time to re-visit the removing obstacles MTP lesson.

2. It takes time to adapt. This to me sounds like a good goal to add to your MTP workbook. It may be more of a Mt. Agonia than Mt. Sufferlandria, a goal never the less. Adapting to shorter warm ups may take time, and will pay back huge for cyclocross, short track, crits, showing up late to the group ride, squeezing a quick outdoor ride in before going to a social event. Be kind and patient to yourself.

5 Likes

Good point. This plan my weekly TSS has been in the 300s. Iā€™ve done 500-1000 weeks in the past with no issues.

1 Like

I appreciate all the suggestions without judgement.

Things to do:

1. Medical appointment and blood work to rule out auto-immune issue, chronic low-level infection, chronic fatigue, nutrient absorption issue, other life stress, depression, something else medical

2. Back it off for a few weeks and take a physical and mental break from training. Donā€™t worry about how others may perceive it. The motivation and goal focus is clearly present. My competitive side wonā€™t let me give up or quit. Something is getting in the way.

3. Be patient - this is the hardest part.

Iā€™ll share an update when I know more or can rule some things out.

12 Likes

Definitely this.

Also, add:

1. Have some fun with it!

Please do let us know how you get on, and take care.

3 Likes

Well put @ErickT. Tape this to your mirror. Best wishes.

:+1:t2:

1 Like