Failing all around

I go up and down the stairs a couple times, sometimes the treadmill for 10 to 20 minutes, then do the strength training or yoga then get on the bike which helps mitigate the short warmups, but still isn’t the same as a proper warmup on the bike. I’ll probably start pausing the warmup near the end and redo it once or twice before the session. Ditto on the cool down.

Age is a huge factor for any athlete whether they’re amateur or not. What gets under my skin the most is that the same sports scientists that make the plans, (and they do seem well structured), don’t understand the importance of a warmup or cool down, ESPECIALLY for the older folks who are probably making up the bulk of their paid subscribers. Yet they will go out of their way to rebrand and add or change stuff that only a minority of users may find value in.

You’re right that it’s up to me and it’s a bargain so I continue on with it because there’s nothing better I’ve found. I looked into custom plans but those you need Zwift for and they have horrible smart trainer control, (at least for the Cycleops Magnus trainer I use - it may work fine for other trainers).

I go up and down the stairs a couple times, sometimes the treadmill for 10 to 20 minutes, then do the strength training or yoga then get on the bike which helps mitigate the short warmups, but still isn’t the same as a proper warmup on the bike. I’ll probably start pausing the warmup near the end and redo it once or twice before the session. Ditto on the cool down.

Sounds like a good idea. You could also use one of the warmup no vids just before your main workout. They come in various lengths.

Fwiw, I’m 38 and I need more warmup too. I just get on the trainer and do endurance spinning until I feel ready to go (5 to 15 mins), then start the video.

I really don’t think that’s true at all. It’s true that the best warm up with vary depending on the individual. It’s not the plans that would need altering for longer warm ups, but the workout themselves, and for some people that would make the warm up needlessly long. If you’re one of those people that need a longer warm up, why not do Igniter or Ready Steady Go first? That’s what they’re there for.

4 Likes

You may be right although I can’t imagine a 3 to 7 minute warmup and cool down being appropriate for anyone, even a pro but thanks for the tip. I’ll stop my whining and look for those in the workout library.

There are also workouts named “Warm Up: 10 Minutes” , “Warm Up: 20 Minutes” and “Warm Up: 30 Minutes”. They have no videos but target a structured workout more than the flat-profile Open sessions might do.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll check them out. I haven’t looked in the library yet because I just follow the training plans and they don’t show up in those.

@ErickT some really good advice here. First make sure there is nothing physically going on. Don’t let the assumption of burnout/overtraining etc prevent you from making sure you are OK.

Then some time away might be helpful. One other thing though that I find great to get me back in right headspace, a nice ride outside in the real world. Head out on your favorite ride, but don’t rush. Just enjoy the ride, the fresh air, the sights and sound of what got you hooked in the first place.

With all due respect to Wahoo, Zwift etc, it’s riding out in the open air that got most of us committed to riding.

Be safe and be well!

Thank you

That 10 minute warm up looks uncannily like the start of Team Scream, which I believe @Coach.Mac.C has said is one of his favourite warm ups. That was the warm up I used this year before my time trials as it’s a fairly straightforward one to do on the road.

3 Likes

Earliest appointment available is Feb 3. Scheduled.

5 Likes

Miss doing Team Scream at reduced numbers as a recovery ride.

1 Like

Good stuff, let us know how you get on. Your comment about being patient…remember that one. You say this has been affecting you for months, you’ve probably had something iffy going on for even longer than that. May take a similar length of time to sort things out as well, but hopefully not.

1 Like

I’m perfectly happy with a 3 minute warmup on the trainer thanks, and I am not a pro and am not young either. Riding outside is another kettle of fish, I need an hour warmup before doing intervals or before racing.

2 Likes

Hi Leebo,

I tried finding warm ups but they didn’t show in the library when I searched for them. Do they have a different name maybe?

Todd Donald

@toddsdonald

Search warm or warm up.

If you search warm ups the extra s will return 0 results. Also, instead of search you can filter cycling in the library by warm up or for when you’re done a workout where you want to spin some more you can also search for or filter for cool down

2 Likes

I’ll add this from several coaches that I know (one of them is nobility and he certainly opened my eyes to a body issue that, after five years of almost yelling at doctors to deal with, has proven to be a major issue in my cycling) is when it stops being fun and starts being a grind, get off the damn saddle and take a serious break. Go do something else. Hike, collect stamps, contemplate the fuzz in your navel. We cycle to relieve stress, not to add to it.

6 Likes

In the meantime, take it really easy. Listen to Sir Dylan on the MTP audio plans. You might find something there that will clue you in to what is happening.

1 Like

@toddsdonald There were REALLY short warmups for some of the harder workouts. If you look at them today, the warmups are ten to twelve minutes. As to a cool-down, Extra Shot rode at 50% is a wonder and you have some great women’s racing to watch as well. Or you could select one of the shorter Inspiration videos. Nothing is stopping you from getting in extra riding. Just be aware of the stress effects it can have if you do (added stress is NEVER a good thing if you haven’t planned on it).

1 Like