First Knighthood Attempt

Since we’re busy flinging facts around, we also don’t realize how much of an effect the wind has on an outdoor ride after a winter of riding indoors. Nor do we remember how demoralizing it is to see one speed number on the screen and associate it was a given power output for months and NOT have it match whatsoever when moving outdoors.

4 Likes

Yep, absolutely! That’s why I try to not pay tooooo much attention to the speed numbers. Having said that, the speeds I’m seeing calculated on indieVelo don’t seem too unrealistic.

2 Likes

And don’t forget the view we have when riding outdoors too!
Not sure about the rest of you, beside the laptop screen slightly offset to my right, I only get to stare at the wall ahead of me or just chewing that stem. :joy:

1 Like

OK, I’m officially going to go for it. April 27th will be the date. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and advice, it’s been a huge help and I think it’s what I needed to nudge me over the edge of the cliff.

My list as it sits now is (although I welcome any and all advice):

1. 14 Vise Grips
  2. Attacker
  3. Defender
  4. G.O.A.T.
  5. Nine Hammers
  6. The Bat
  7. Cobbler
  8. The Wretched
  9. Power Station
  10. Rookie

If anyone is so inclined, the cause I’ve chosen to support is the Canadian Mental Health Association, which can be reached here:

Now, back to training…

Justin

10 Likes

Holy SUFballs! Cobbler at #7 is bold AF followed by The Wretched at #8 ?!?!

You’re gonna need the services of CMHA to make it to #9 alive!!! I’m only half kidding here. Cobbler is soooooo long! I remember Local Hero as my #5 and thought ISLAGIATT and I could not wait for it just to be over. The Wretched is a relentless slog at the best of times but after soooo much riding, it quite literally offers nowhere to hide if sustained efforts are not your jam. I’m sure you’ll appreciate the standy uppy bits of Power Station after that beast.

So, it’s your quest of course, and I’ve often said these things are so very personal so if you’re set on this list and the order, then know that GvA would unreservedly approve even if I myself am throwing up a little, just looking at it. :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:.

4 Likes

Yeah, I really went back and forth on Cobbler at #7. It’s one of my favorite rides so in that sense I like having it there, but the length does scare me a little…

1 Like

Well if you’re only scared a little, that’s good. It’s a great ride and if it’s a favourite then #7 makes total sense. It’s not like you’ll be surprised how long it is on the day :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Everything here is highly important. The last is VERY important. You shouldn’t be striking the bicycle anywhere. I was. It was due to improperly fitted cleats. I had to move them and might be considering spacers to move them further out (interior knee/muscle pain).

1 Like

That menu looks awfully dreadful, starting with 14 Vise Grips, then the 9H and then Cobbler right smack at the centre of the mental halfway point. :scream:

But it really is a personal choice and taste so please carry on! Hahaha, we wish you much destruction.

Just remember to vary your position on the bike every so often. Your buttocks will really thank you for it.

1 Like

Holy mother of GvA! That is some serious suffering on tap. Defender at #3! :tada:

From number 5 on just looks like absolute wretched suffering. You will certainly have everything and nothing to fear all at the same time. Such a concoction of suffering!

You have my sincere respect and condolences on such a list of beautiful, glorious, uncomfortable suffering. I can already smell the pain suckers and shredded chamois.

We can’t wait for the enterpainment to begin!

4 Likes

OMFG.

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Sufferlandrian expression of maximum admiration :wink:

4 Likes

On a good note, there’s a pro contract for you if you survive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will definitely NOT be attempting to duplicate this lineup. :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil::grimacing::face_with_peeking_eye:

4 Likes

In reflection, rollers for that long must be hard on the concentration and you must have the most awesome natural balance. The constant pedalling is a good point too.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity Sir Wayne @way9e0, you rode on the Kickr Roller for the Knighthood attempt?

It’s a double-edge sword in my particular case since mine were dumb rollers. Concentrating on the pedal strokes and keeping the bike upright was one challenge, the other was the constant pedaling which meant, I didn’t have much of a chance to free-wheel since the speeds I was riding was just enough to keep the bike up right.
Towards the of the entire attempt, I had to hold on to the metal grille to get off the saddle for a couple of seconds a few times and was quite close to falling off the bike on each attempt and riding Defender last didn’t help. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No, Sir @DarrenWCKam , I rode on InsideRide smart rollers. I had the advantage of ERG mode!

The InsideRide rollers have front/back movement so it is possible to stand without riding off the rollers.

4 Likes

After a while, it becomes similar to riding outside. The balance feels pretty natural, once you get over the learning curve.

2 Likes

These are both awesome! No wonder you had no problem standing!

And comprehensively agree with this. Falling off the roller is something we shall not talk about. Hahaha

4 Likes

Or terrorizing bookcases and small animals!

5 Likes