Full Frontal vs Half Monty

Hi fellow Sufferlandians,

I’m scheduled for a fitness test tonight after a reasonable recovery week (working days only). After previous discussions, I’ve concluded that the FF test is more suited to me. However, this is my first FF test. And I’m unsure if I’m rested enough - completed a ride 5 days ago with a TSS = 481 and IF = 99.

While my legs feel fine, I’m unsure if I’ll get the fully benefit from a 20minute effort.

So my question is - would it be best to do a Half Monty in lieu of the Full Frontal?

Cheers.

I didn’t find half monty at all helpful…
I vote for 4dp - unless you’re badge hunting and haven’t done half monty yet.
Or, if you aren’t confident you have the legs for a proper go at full frontal, why not half monty?
4dp if you want the results to matter

3 Likes

I’m with @Isa on this one. Do the FF. Five days should be a decent enough rest and it’s gonna hurt in any case. Do you have target numbers for the 5 and 20 minute sections?

Happy suffering!

1 Like

No I have the legs (normally) and don’t have any issues pacing for 20min.

I’ve also found the step test inaccurate (on this app anyway).

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks.

Yep leading towards the FF.

Target numbers are -

5 minute = ~ 420w
20 minute = ~ 340w

Though these are just a guess (taken from my most recent outdoor ride).

Cheers.

2 Likes

@Mulletcocktail With 5 days rest you should be fine. Check out this thread for ideas on pacing.

2 Likes

FWIW: For testing, I always do the 7 day test plan that includes a HM on day three and the FF on day 7. The HM sets the suggested targets for the FF and I try to beat those as best as I can during the FF. I believe this gives me the most consistent results. Bonus: It’s a very solid week of workouts.

2 Likes

What sort of ride was that?? A high TSS indicates that it was a very long moderate ride but an IF of 99 means that you probably went all out for most of it??? not easy to get an IF that high.

2 Likes

That’s interesting indeed. Does that mean you have to ride for 4:50 hours at 99% of FTP?

Good time for a FF test indeed, because that would indicate that the real FTP is a lot higher.

3 Likes

@ozmadman & @TrapMeSuf yep I was surprises with the IFF at .99 (my error, previously commented it was 99).

We rode the “dirty dozen” - 12 of the steepest hills in Hobart.

1 Like

Also, back to the test - I started out on the FF last night but canned it after the MAP block. Figure I hit it too hard.

Then I completed the ramp with an increase of 10w in a month.

Cheers

4 Likes

Yep FF is definitely a mind game, that is continuously telling you to stop or you can’t do this or keep this up. You can, just need to get your head around it and especially after the 5 mins MAP where you immediately start thinking about the 20 minute section and how on earth are you going to get through that…

4 Likes

Just did FF today and HM about 4 weeks ago. For me FF is much more of a mental and pacing game. If you think about it your doing 26 mins right on the edge. In HM there’s only 13 or so ramp steps that you’ll get through, and it’s only hard for the last couple before the doors blow off.

The MAP 5 mins in FF is such a mind game!!!

4 Likes

Yep agree. Don’t have any issues with mind games or pacing. We race up kunanyi (Mount Wellington) every year which for me is 1h15m at threshold.

Just think I wasn’t ready for this one.

2 Likes

I was ‘lucky’ enough to ride up kunanyi in Feb this year and then again with Nicole Frain a few weeks ago. You’re lucky to live in a very nice part of the world!!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty amazing to have an Alpine climb on the edge of town.

Nicole was in my grouping for the last race up there…

1 Like

nice work Guy

1 Like

Thanks!