I HATE the 4DP

@Tungstenisw Search Full Frontal or 4DP in the forum and there are lots of threads on this topic. You are not alone!

FF is an intense experience and it takes a while to get it right - the mental prep, the pacing, the right positive chatter, proper cooling and hydration. For the days leading up to the test I keep myself focused on rest, hydration, go over my target gearing/levels and try to keep a positive mindset.

I suggest practice gearing in level mode using Open 15 or 30 video in the days / weeks before the test so you are comfortable with your choices going into the actual test. Also watch the full frontal prep video again as many times as needed to feel prepared.

How to Get the Most Out of Full Frontal

Here are my pre-ride notes based on my past experiences and from the prep video - hopefully you find them helpful:

5 sec / NM: For sprint - start at FTP power going into the sprint around 80 to 90 RPM and then accelerate to 110 to 120 RPM. Do not change gears. Select a gear/level that will keep you from just spinning at the higher cadence - you really want to generate max power for the full 5 seconds.

5 min / MAP: Start at current MAP and move up in the 1st minute coming in and out of the saddle using a higher cadence. Get to 2 1/2 minutes and then begin attacking as much as possible. You will be chewing stem here. Focus on the riders and your breathing - using the techniques from the yoga videos.

20 min / FTP: Watch splits and properly pace. For 1st 10 min aim for 80% of the 5 min effort. Adjust up after 10 min. Hold at the cadence that feels right. Do not watch the clock - focus on your breathing and the riders like you would for a race. This will be painful at the end but you know you can do this and it is what you have trained for.

1 Min / AC: Double MAP effort for 1st 15 sec and try to hold effort as much as possible for 30 sec and then push everything you have for the last 15. Don’t leave anything - spend it all. Proper level selection is critical as you can easily burn out if you go too high.

In another thread which I can’t seem to find @Heretic makes a great suggestion about just riding Full Frontal as any other workout and just let yourself get comfortable with it and don’t worry about the results.

Hang in there!

15 Likes