How Much Power Does It Take To Win A Tour De France Stage?

Always a fun watch. Also here:

For those in a hurry, Ben O’Connor posted his wahoo data after winning stage 9 of the TdF:

So much to just…stare at here: 344W sustained average for 4:37 at 87% MHR. 5000+ KCal. 32kph/20mph avg speed ON STAGE 9.

Holy Hell!

Oh, and he apparently maxed out at 92.5kph/57.5mph??? Hell of a descent.

6 Likes

Those numbers are just insanity, especially when I’ve barely just got my FTP over 250w. And he’s averaging 277w for an entire stage. And that’s not even getting into normalized power.

:scream:

4 Likes

That’s why he is a pro and we are not.

3 Likes

I have always believed - even as an amateur racer - that few sports exist with as big a divide between the elites and the rest of us as cycling. To the point where the average person (non-cyclist maybe) literally cannot concieve of someone pumping out those kind of numbers, day in and day out, for 22-23 days.

4 Likes

Right there with you.

3 Likes

A watts is one difference the other big factor that can’t be measured the suffering mindset needed to even finish a tour :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

It is not just power - imagine the balance and control needed…watch Tom Pidcock descend:

2 Likes

I kinda put balance and control in a different category. Sure it’s necessary for racing, but having ridden and raced motos on/off road, corning and going fast downhill on bikes has been one of my fortes. Providing the power for the bike is another thing entirely.

1 Like

I was watching some TdF racing footage. At one point Tom Pidcock was descending at 60 mph. He then slows down to about 50 mph so he can take a drink of water. He then speeds up again.

2 Likes