I Hate my Garmin Edge 830

Since I bought an indoor trainer, I have not cycled outdoors in the New England winter for several years. You soon realize that the while the winter cycling garments are designed to wick moisture out, they only keep heat in. Once you stop cycling, you get cold very fast, and it can be a very damp cold.

4 Likes

There’s the issue there then innit?! :joy: :joy: :joy:

7 Likes

Don’t know what phone you have or how long you ride for but you may need a battery pack! Kamoot voice nav will eat through your battery…

1 Like

If you want audio prompts from your phone, Garmin can do this as well (audio prompts):
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge830/EN-US/GUID-01956CF5-CF67-40C2-9AB5-E6B8913B544B.html

3 Likes

Bummer on the ‘Q’. However, you should at least try something that would replicate the out-of-doors ride. Maybe “Half the Road” just to get your blood boiling.

2 Likes

Hey, thank you very much, TIm! I’ll run Garmin’s native audio navigation prompts concurrently with Komoot’s and see which is better.

1 Like

I also did quite a bit of research into that and settled on a Karoo 2. Way better than I expected. I had the Edge 810 before that, and didn’t like the Garmin approach to a mapping at all (I do a lot of GIS work and have some knowledge around this area).
One of the things I liked about Karoo2 when doing the research was that it is based on android - and because of that very flexible, especially for future items. And their updates are every 2 weeks or so (you can check their website for all that).
Cheers. Hope you found the solution to your frustrations.

1 Like

I think I’ve found a workable solution, at least until I drop my Garmin and can justify a new gadget.

With the help and advice of the fine folks on this thread, I’ve disabled auto-scrolling, enabled voice prompts, and set the screen to sleep when established on a road. Now, when approaching a turn, the screen lights up and I get a voice prompt. I still dislike the actual map display on the screen and Garmin still likes to send me on weird little detours, but it’s an 80% solution I can live with until my device dies. When that time comes, I’ll take a very hard look at whatever Hammerhead and Wahoo have on the market.

Thank you for your help, cycling friends. You’re the best!

7 Likes

As someone with both a Edge 1030 and original ELEMNT, I use the Wahoo computer whenever I can. It’s just a better system.

Check with your LBS to see if you can get a loaner computer. The ROAM is amazing and should address all the issues you described. If you need a larger screen, you might want to check out the Hammerhead.

4 Likes

I was a Garmin addict for a long time until I had some of the same issues you were having. When it nearly got me lost on a solo ride and just kept saying I was 100ft from the finish of my route even though I was 30 miles away from civilization, I finally decided enough was enough and switched to the Karoo 2. It blows away anything Garmin makes. The screen alone makes Garmin look like Game Boy. The mapping, and routing/re-routing, are even better than I expected. Trust me, if you save up the money for it, you will not be disappointed in the Karoo 2. It has everything you are looking for in your problems! I can honestly say I will never switch back to a Garmin GPS. Also the other cool thing, they put out software updates for it every two weeks - with detailed release notes. They even offer an option to chat with them about what you like/don’t like on the product. I know I sound like a salesman for Hammerhead, but as a tech nerd, it is truly that much better.

3 Likes

I contacted Garmin once about a error on the map which caused a quick but short U-turn. I was told that it was a map marker or signature. They have small errors loaded to identify their maps in case someone would copy and relabel it without permission. I understand the need but found it frustrating. The do have a process where you can submit map errors to them. If your using routing, you can zoom in and pin the spot before and after the turn to ensure your not redirected. BTW - Your 830 has a screen lock feature, you can lock the screen on your MAP and always have it while riding. I am sold on the Garmin, the analytical alone justify the frustrations. Hope you get it worked out for you.

1 Like

As I understand it, this is a common thing to do. The London A-Z famously had about 100 ‘trap’ streets in it to prevent copyright infringements. That, of course, was a printed map. I agree that it’s pretty frustrating when such things appear in digital maps. Especailly with someone like Garmin who made their name with SatNavs - if it’s actually effecting your experience then they need a different solution.

2 Likes

Today, I rode a new route past that pesky T intersection. Once again, the Garmin told me to turn off for a quick U-turn. That’s fine when I’m on my home turf, but an unacceptable hassle when I’m exploring a new area.

Further, I locked the phone down to one screen - the map. Nevertheless, it reverted to climb mode when I hit my third set of hills today. By that point, I was chewing stem and lacked the cognition to figure out how to get to my map. I missed a turn, got off course, and rejoined, but the device still wanted me to make a u-turn to get back to my old route. Had I not known where I was going, I’d have missed the next turn to got me back on course.

It shouldn’t be this hard. I’ve put a Karoo 2 on my Christmas list. If I get one, the Garmin will move, permanently, to my trainer. There, I’ll use it to glom together multiple Sufferfest sessions when I don’t feel like spamming my Strava followers.

Spamming my Strava followers is one of my few joys in life, right now. :wink:

4 Likes

Turn off ClimbPro. Otherwise, your Garmin WILL switch to it no matter WHAT screen you are on. Be it Map, Data or just goofing around.

2 Likes

Done. Thanks.

How odd. Was that with a route created on Komoot?

There is a new housing estate near me that is on the Komoot map but not (yet) on the Wahoo one. If I build a route through it using Komoot, when I then ride it the Roam works perfectly albeit that the route appears to go across an open field (i.e. it only shows the “road” I should be taking, not any side turnings etc.) but it does work and seamlessly rejoins the old roads once I get back on to them.

It sounds like maybe Garmin and Wahoo do something fundamentally different with imported routes - i.e. Wahoo just reads the route with little regard for it’s built in map but Garmin is trying to build the route itself based on what Komoot sends it plus it’s own map?

Hope that makes sense, not sure if I’ve explained myself very well there! Be interesting to know what the Karoo does.

Early on in my usage of the Roam I thought the GPS tracking was poor - I’ve since revised my view - I now realise that a few roads I regularly use aren’t actually quite where they appear to be on the map and the difference is enough to make the Roam think I’ve temporarily gone off course!

1 Like

Yes, this route was built in Komoot. I specifically wanted to test it at the T.

I think Garmin takes routes built using whichever app (Komoot, Strava, etc.), then overlays them on its own map. Thus, Garmin’s ticks remain regardless of the input.

I don’t know if they’re doing something similar in the US, but in the UK at least Hammerhead are running a trade in scheme until the end of November - the Garmin 830 is on the list with a £110 trade in allowance.

The scheme appears to be

• Buy Karoo 2 before end of November opting in to the trade in
  • Complete a form within 45 days of ordering
  • Post back old device
  • Get rebate to your credit card

Perhaps Father Christmas could work something out?

2 Likes

And Karoo2 don’t ship to NZ. Australia yes. NZ no. So unfair!