KICKR axis feet + hip mobility?

Has anyone found the increased movement of the KICKR Axis feet helps relieve low back and hip pain (or, at least, not contribute to it)? It’s complicated, but I’m starting to think that the static nature of the Fluid 2 is not helping some ongoing hip issues. One of the things that makes my body feel great is riding outdoors. Go figure.

Has anyone found the Axis feet relieves that static aspect so your body isn’t working against the bike? Thinking about replacing the Fluid 2 with the KICKR. Bike fit is fine.

Long story short, I’ve been on and off the trainer for months after a doctor told me I have SI joint dysfunction (another doctor has told me I was misdiagnosed; rather that I need to keep improving hip mobility and core strength). My guess is that losing gym access during covid and riding a lot on the trainer in 2020 created a lot of imbalances and muscle tightness. The first physical therapist’s manipulating my SI for three months probably did me no favors, so. Anyway.

I don’t notice a whole lot of movement on the axis feet. I’d think a rocker plate or rollers would be more effective for allowing movement on the bike.

Also, as a consideration, depending on your inseam, shorter cranks might help. I could never quite get comfortable on the bike even after a bike fit. My saddle height, no matter how I adjusted it, never felt right. It was either too high and I’d be tip toeing at bdc or too low and I’d get impingement at tdc. Really slow single leg drills helped me figure this out.

I bought shorter cranks and have free 360 degree rotation without impingement nor reaching. And I no longer have any joint pain. This not only smoothed my pedal stroke, it also made me faster.

Lastly, this is all rather anecdotal. The fact that it worked for me is no guarantee it’s what will resolve your issues. I’m only suggesting it may be worth trying. If it doesn’t work you can resell the cranks.

2 Likes

Can’t speak to mobility related issues and static trainers, but after using a trainer with movement I couldn’t use a static trainer again.

I have my Kickr Core on top of a piece of plywood attached to the bottom rocking frame of an old Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. It gives plenty of movement (both side to side and a little front and back). It was a cheap mod for me since I already had the Rock and Roll frame. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There can be many reasons behind hip and low back pain. As you say, it’s complicated. So with that caveat, I’ve found that a good bike fit, changes in pedals (SpeedPlay), and working with a PT (Stretching exercises) has helped me.

I do have the KICKR axis feet and do not notice any sort of increased movement with them.

Sean

Why Speedplay?

Speedplay allows me to tweak adjustments for my kleet placement to account for discomfort possibly due to physio difference between legs.

1 Like

Speedplay are the most adjustable pedal in terms of float. I think up to 14 ish degrees of float whereas most others will give you up to 4. Or 7 degrees. And then you can also adjust the float and to within a specific range. They’re great. Love my Speedplays.

Plus there’s a lot more options for situating them on the shoe. And the stack height is pretty low.

1 Like

I had hip pain when I got a new bike (on and off the trainer). While this might not be your problem, I lowered the seat by about a half inch (12mm) and the pain completely went away. Even after a pro bike fit, I had to jimmy with saddle height (in consultation with the fitter). I also shortened my stem and raised the handlebars–all to reduce the strain on my hips, but the saddle was the key for me. I’d try the saddle before shorter cranks (see Sir Brian’s reply above), although I supposed you could need both. It never ceases to amaze me how millimeters can be the difference between total comfort and pain.

I love Speedplay. I’ve been riding them for almost 20 years. The new line since Wahoo bought them makes the cleats much easier to walk around in (of course, they’re still road cleats) and makes all the different pedals (which mostly vary by weight and materials) mutually compatible with the two cleats they sell. They also standardized the float adjustments so I think all of them go from almost none to 14 or 15 degrees. If you have hip issues, get the Easy Tension cleats (not the Standard Tension); they require less torque to release them out of the pedals.

3 Likes