On my way back

This past summer found myself a 6’3" 52 year old asthmatic, type 2 diabetic, and had gotten up to 315 lbs. 15 years ago I did 3 bike tours across the US (Atlantic to Pacific) so I’ve ridden quite a bit, but not much in years. Started riding again in August and have put in about 1,500 miles and gotten down to 270 lbs so far.

Just got a smart trainer, started with Systm a few weeks ago and did the Half Monty this morning.
FTP 254
NM 924
AC 445
MAP 306

I’m new to these numbers, so how are they for my age/condition? Should I do the week of prep and the Full Frontal to get a better idea of where I’m at to watch my improvement? Any other suggestions on what I should work on next?

Goal is to get down to 200 lbs and on a vaction in the south east US next summer climb Clingman’s Dome and Mt. Mitchell. No time or race goals, just want to feel good again and enjoy riding in the mountains!

Thanks!

6 Likes

Welcome to the forums @PepperTransAm ! Now that you’re here, you can never leave :wink: Well, technically that’s only true in Sufferlandria but whatevs.

As for your questions, first, your numbers are unique to you so how are they for your age and condition is not really for anyone else to say (except maybe a personal coach or medical pro).

If you’ve never done Full Frontal I would highly recommend it and def the prep week leading up to it to get the best results. Some riders and rider types find a very large discrepancy in results between the Half Monty and Full Frontal with FF being much more accurate. I am in the lucky group where HM is predictive of my FTP and MAP within a handful of watts so am much less inclined (after 6+ years of being with SUF/SYSTM) to do FF.

There is a TON to explore in SYSTM with so much content you’re sure to find something you’d like to do. If your goal is as far away as next summer you could look to start a hilly fondo plan that ends closer to your vacay plan dates.

In the meantime, I’d suggest looking at some of the plans that are on offer already (I expect they’ll be adding to these soon too) and see if any are of interest to you as we start our indoor season (well, it’s indoor season for me in the middle of Canada).

Alternatively, just look around at some of the content, try some things that look interesting to you, maybe enter the most recent November Challenge (to get a digital badge :slight_smile: )

If you do decide to do the FF prep week, FF does take a little getting used to. Pacing for the 5 min and 20 min efforts are what most people have the hardest time with but there’s some GREAT info on the support site and here’s a good one on prepping for FF https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021387460

And, above all, HAVE FUN, otherwise, what’s the point?

4 Likes

@PepperTransAm Your MAP to FTP ratio looks good and your sprinting power as a ratio to FTP looks good as well. As @Glen.Coutts notes, find a plan that engages you and be sure to work in some strength, mobility and yoga.

There is also a mental toughness program and the 1st or 2nd module starts taking you through a workbook where you can set overall, milestone and short term goals which I think you will find helpful.

Generally you are going to see your numbers rise quickly in the beginning so just keep at it and enjoy the journey!

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the response @Glen.Coutts, I appreciate the help and insight! I think I’ll take your advice and do the the prep week and full frontal next so thanks for the link too.

2 Likes

Thanks @JSampson I appreciate it. The strength and yoga was part of what drew to to System but I was going to skip the mental portion, but with the goal setting you mentioned I think I’ll give it a shot. I will, and thanks.

3 Likes

+1 on the MTP. I’ve used the entirety of it several times for some goals I otherwise would never have thought possible. I’ve also used some of the individual stand alone modules to good effect too.

2 Likes

I’m on it. Thanks again @Glen.Coutts and @JSampson, I appreciate you taking the time!

2 Likes

Not at all. Happy to help (others to suffer :wink: )

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Choice words to train by

and don’t forget them.

Having said that, there is a a slice of the cycling community who are obsessed with power to weight ratio discussions. As your OP indicates, you are clearly intent on reducing your body mass and you shall increase your power numbers as @JSampson indicates. That’s the nature of training (consistently) and having a goal to sweat it out.

So, I give you this. How relevant it is today, or to you, that’s for you to decide.

3 Likes

@Dan Yeah, wise words and I will not forget them. I have no interest in obsessing about my numbers versus others, but as a way of measuring against myself and my improvement I do enjoy the challenge and accomplishment! But thanks for the chart too, that gives me a good point of reference.

I also noticed all of you responding are Knights of Sufferlandia. As I am new here I had to look that up. And now that I have I can say congrats to all of you on the accomplishment, and I may have to add that to my list of long-term goals!

6 Likes

That’s all I heard. Sorry :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Make sure you are ready to fit in (one is never ready to ride) Tour of Sufferlandria coming soon, likely in February.

An attack on the castle thereafter should be on the cards.

4 Likes

Post Tour of Sufferlandria is a “popular” time for folks to go for a Knighthood quest. The tour will usually provide a nice little bump up in fitness. Nothing but fun times ahead @PepperTransAm :wink:

2 Likes

@PepperTransAm Great attitude! We are all just racing against ourselves.

3 Likes

Right on!

3 Likes

You have already accomplished a lot and should really be proud of what you have done. You’re taken a huge step and become fit. You will continue to improve if you do structured training. I lost weight and got fit in my 40s. I’m in my mid 60s and really happy I made the change. I’m healthy and I do a lot of activities. You are doing great and the best is yet to come.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement @Mecons! Congrats on your improvement, I’m glad it worked out for you. I’m not getting younger and preparing to be more active over the next decades is a big part my motivation, and I will get there too!

1 Like

Just to add, that chart does not take age into account. I am 69 years old and have worked hard to get to 3.5 watts per kg ( last FF test about 2 months ago now)which I am pretty happy with even though I think there is still room for improvement. But if you are 25 years old then that watts/kg would be pretty mediocre so these figures/charts should be take with a pinch of salt

5 Likes

Congrats @ozmadman on hitting your ftp goal at 69, that’s really awesome!

At this point for me if I can hit my goal of 200lbs and get my ftp up another 20 points that would put me just over 3 watts/kg which I think is a pretty reasonable goal for now. Might take some time but I’m on my way and then we’ll see what I can do after that!

But overall just getting my weight down, getting stronger and feeling better on the bike (oh, and suffering!) are my main goals!

5 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

Ha ha !! yep that’s me alright!

1 Like