POIs on ROAM V2?

Hi,

Is there any way to define POIs that show up on maps and preferably even in the cue sheet?

To explain what I want, here’s my usecase:

I have Locations saved I might route to. Those are accessible under „take me to“ which is fine.

Then I have a bunch of routes of rides I do frequently where I fine tuned the navigation cues to remove obvious turns and „continue“ cues as I know the route and ride it frequently, yet like to see the big junctions on the cue sheet and also like the „reverse distance“ that shows me how much left rather than the distance already traveled.

I also have my komoot account connected, so that I can sync rides of other people or quickly put together a route to do that day. Again, If I do that route more often I probably fine rune it and import it to the device directly (and remove it from komoot).

Now I’m wondering if there is a way to add POIs (think water fountains, bike tools in public, public pumps, gas stations and public toilets). I don’t really want to navigate there, so I don’t want them cluttering my „take me to“ list. I also can’t really add them to the komoot routes (I could put them into the fine-tuned routes though).

Is there a way to somehow incorporate them into the map material? That I can see them on the map screen (and maybe on the navigation cue screen - preferably without a pop up) so that they’re not „in the way“ when riding, but still there if I want to see them?

Currently my workflow involves pulling out my phone and having those POIs on a maps app there. Which doesn’t make too much sense as I only use them when cycling, where I already carry a device capable of maps and routing - the ROAM V2.

Am I missing something or is that functionality not yet implemented?

2 Likes

I love to have this feature also. We are currently on a long tour and would find it useful when the likes of a water source etc available to see. At present I have to use an app my phone which kinda defeats the purpose of having a GPS.

1 Like

If there was a feature like this on the Roam 2, I would want to upgrade from my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (v1) to get it. Currently I mark POIs in RideWithGPS and export the route to my Bolt. It’s a nuisance marking them manually in RWGPS because I use QGIS to manage these points, and could easily produce a .csv file in the area where I’ll be riding to bulk upload them. I do it, though. But on my ride I have to stop frequently and check RWGPS on my phone, as many of these POIs are places where I want to stop and take photos, and I don’t want to miss them. It would be better to have them on my head unit, so I won’t so easily miss any. Some of these POIs are historical markers, and others are historical places that don’t have markers. POIs of places to get a bite to eat, etc. are good, too.

1 Like

I plan my routes using Komoot, if there’s somewhere I know I want to stop which may not be obvious when I’m riding I put a few extra waypoints in to either ride off the side of the road into a field or force a very small loop in the route.

When you’re navigating the route it quickly becomes obvious that you’re where you intended to stop.

1 Like

I have done something like that, too, but it’s tedious when you have a couple dozen of them planned for one ride. On a multi-day ride, time spent in the hotel room prepping for the next day’s ride is at a premium. I probably waste less time by stopping several times along the way to check my RWGPS. But there are times when your methods are a reasonable workaround (until the world becomes a better place and I can see them on my headunit!)

1 Like

Fair comment! Most of my rides are fairly local with max one or two stops that I don’t already know so it’s a simple method that works for my specific use. Yes, custom POIs would be the overall best answer.

1 Like

I already requested this feature 2years ago when I bought my ROAM v1.
The ability to add POIs on maps is an essential feature for travelers or long distance.

Other topic : custom sport profile is also key for me (specific data field based on sport profile such as Gravel / Road bike / MB / Cyclocross / Commuting,…)

1 Like

no news or workarounds?

None that I know of