Remove badges that can't be obtained

Aww man, you’re gonna make me defend Abi now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. She’s anything but elitist. She doesn’t use the fancy names for the moves/poses, there’s no namaste or incense or candles or blankets. I don’t think there’s even any music. This is why I call it yoga for people that hate yoga cuz it’s all in 15 minute chunks where the first minute or 2 is usually just a breathing exercise and the last couple minutes are lying on your back resting. I found Ian’s thing 15 minutes too long :rofl: and have only done it once as part of the AWW series :man_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

I won’t say I know anything about the videos here. I worked at a community center for five years and tried many yoga classes. Sadly the elitist attitude was my experience 100% of the time. So while it may not be fair, I’ve taken the position that how many times do I need to do the same thing and expect different results? Maybe, please read MAYBE, I will give these a try.

3 Likes

I have a problem with downward dog because she tells us to constantly breathe thru the nose. And I have some sinus/nasal issue where when I invert my upper body my nose blocks itself and I physically can’t breathe through my nose.

It’s probably related to some other past nasal issues including that dodgeball incident of 2019 that I’ve been putting off getting looked at thanks to covid risk. etc. Maybe if I got that looked at I could increase my VO2 as well…

But bridge pose and a few other poses… ouch! I am not that flexible. So, I’ve been postponing most of the advanced videos until I grow a second body that can actually do them.

4 Likes

Fwiw, here’s my list of “good” ones, some with notes.

These are all good in the morning (or other times if noted)

• Hip Mobility Flow :star:- first thing in the morning, poses held for slightly longer than usual :heart:
  • Hip Mobility Flow II :star: goddess pose
  • Morning Yoga :star: :heart: :heart:
  • Mobilize and Activate I :star: side plank, wild thing, half monkey wild thing, side planks & II - warm up entire body
  • Hip and Pelvis stability :star: flying lunge, Warrior 3 or pre-ride
  • Knee n Ankle stability :star: - silver surfer :heart: or pre-ride
  • Scapular stability :star: or pre-ride
  • Shoulder stability or pre-ride
  • Mobilize the Joints :star: or pre-ride gentle ALL joint mobilization with a bit of screaming toe but tolerable. Excellent!

These are not specific to morning

• Balance and Agility 1 :star:
  • Hamstring & Calf Flexibility :star:
  • Loosen neck & shoulders :star: :heart: can do whole thing on a chair.
  • Hip Openers I :star:
  • SESR III :star:
  • Foot and Ankle Mobility :star:
  • Total Hip Therapy :star: :heart:
  • Nice long stretches great for glutes and groin
  • Yin for the Groin :star: nice long groin stretches.

These are my DO NOT/ WILL NOT do:

• No prop yin 2 mins screaming toes and a bunch of moves I can’t do. DNF
  • Full Body Mobility - diving push-ups
  • CSIII - boat poses to max DNF
  • Post workout cooldown - screaming toe pose
  • Upper Body Strength - diving push-ups into upward dog
  • Foot n Ankle recovery - screaming toes, lightning, yogi squat with knees drop side to side
3 Likes

The nose breathing thing I rarely succeed at. I don’t think it matters really.

3 Likes

OK Sir Glen, a simple question. Is there a real need to go through all the different yoga routines and levels or is Boswell’s Morning Routine enough to keep me loose and ready to ride?

2 Likes

Good question. The thing is, we’re made up of lots of bits and bobs so if you’re feeling like Boz’s thing is good enough to keep you nimble then that’s probably fine.

There are some specific yoga vids that I actually enjoy. I personally don’t think it’s necessary to do them all or to do some of the more advanced ones. Like there’s 3 core strength vids and I can almost do the first one and feel no great need to do II & III.

Some vids are great just to get limbered up prior to a ride, some are good to do post ride so I don’t stiffen up too much and some are very focused on specific bits or bobs. I did Total Hip Therapy 1 yesterday for example and it’s slow pace and long held positions were really what this guy needed. One of my favourites is Loosen Neck and Shoulders. You can do the whole thing seated. It’s where I carry a lot of life’s stresses/tensions.

2 Likes

I rarely do the yoga videos. BUT, I know there are particular parts of my body that can get very tight, especially if I’m running often or am hammering a lot of, err, hammers. When I do, 15mins of Abi with the right targeted session (perhaps a couple, usually on consecutive days) and I’m fixed. They’re nothing short of brilliant.

For me it’s hips and glutes. I forget the specific session names but it’s obvious which ones target what. If you have particular stress areas I really would give them a try.

3 Likes

Oh, I should add that I too have become a fan of the mobility stuff in the S&M library. These things are even shorter than the yoga sessions and also have no progression requirements. I’ve added a daily mobility vid to my current plan.

2 Likes

Oh. Right. I just got what S&M is, in this context.

I thought you were just referencing screaming toe pose still.

2 Likes

Hehe. Screaming toe pose is the OG S&M :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

+1 for @abicarver.

1 Like

1 Like

Hey gang! The impossible November Challenge badge has now been removed. Woot woot!

4 Likes

Especially if they keep on having monthly challenges.
Pretty sooner you will never be able to find the list of other badges.

2 Likes

Hmm, you sure Sir @Glen.Coutts? Still there for me…

:wink:

5 Likes

Nice work Cap’n Sir!

I like Ian’s yoga routine. He does a few things that hit me in the right spots. However, he is doing it extra slow because he’s describing it all to us with detailed exposition as it’s an AWW espisode and it takes 37 minutes. I’d like to do his routine without all the extra talk because it would likely take about 20 minutes. And I could more easily fit 20 minutes of yoga into my mornings (because I can currently fit in 15, but not 30). 37 minutes is too long for me to repeat, especially with all the extra time. So if Wahoo could compress it down that would be fantastic.

That being said, there are a lot of great sessions that Abi does that I come back to over and over. I just try not to keep doing the same ones because I know I need to work on other parts of my body, not just my hips and hamstrings.

3 Likes

hahaha!!

I just snorted out some of my afternoon coffee. lol

2 Likes

Geez tell me about it Sir Glen. I was en route to achieving it until covid screwed everything up for me :expressionless:

3 Likes