RGT questions

As far as I know, for looped courses, the Quick Ride function will add sufficient laps to make the total ride length at least 20km (ie about 12.4 miles).

So:

• a 1km loop would be multiplied up to 20 laps (and 20km)
  • a 19km loop would be doubled to make 38km, but
  • a 20km loop would just have a single lap.

Your experience with that ~7 mile route sounds consistent with this.

I can see the sense in this feature: as you said, most people don’t want to ride a really short route (eg a single small lap) but if they do then they could just stop after a single lap or could use Create Event to make the shorter event.

Note that (i) I haven’t tested this and (ii) I don’t know whether the threshold is exactly 20km.

I will test this and report back what I find.

1 Like

Ok, something else here is at play. Using your number of anything under 12.4 miles should/could/would be subject to this adjustment, I have done the following rides that were just a single lap:

The Nato Mission Rac = 9.6 mi
Regents Corkscrew = 8.6 mi
Al Jaadah V2 Descent = 7.3
Toronto TT = 9.1 mi

So the theory as stated is apparently incorrect. Not a big deal in the end. Just trying to understand how RGT works. :thinking:

1 Like

As @Robin-RGT-FB-mod suggests, [quote=“Critmark, post:20, topic:19187”]
[/quote]

The ride distance in km appears to be worked out like this: if 1 lap is ≤ 20 km then (20km ÷ lap distance) = the number of laps offered rounded up to the next whole number.

As you suggest @Critmark it may need some experimentation to discover the exact answer :slight_smile:
The RGT documentation is due to be revised and the missing photo’s re added. I’ve brought the explanation of this feature up as one that needs revising :slight_smile:
I won’t ask my support contact for any further explanation at this time as I know he is up to his neck in bringing other cases up to date :slight_smile:
Please let us know what you find if you get the chance :slight_smile:

Is this since January 2022? I’ll take that back to my support contact if it is :slight_smile:

Absolutely, this is not a high priority by any stretch. Now that I know this may happen, I can load any ride I am interested in as a QR and see what that ride will actually be. If I don’t like it, I can just leave the QR.

Also, I personally would not be in favor of any automatic adjustment. That prevents me from doing a shorter ride that I might want to do. I will often do more than one ride during any session. The Al Jaadah V2 Descent referenced above was the second of two rides. I wanted to do the short descent to flush out the legs. I would not have wanted to do 2 laps.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

My rides referenced above where the rule was not applied are all within the last 30 days.

1 Like

They are very valuable 2 cents! :slight_smile:
You can give full feedback using the ‘submit a request’ button at the top of this page :slight_smile:
Just because a feature has been changed, doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone and so may need re thinking :slight_smile:
RGT – Wahoo Fitness Support

1 Like

I’ve passed the info on, but it’s certainly worth you submitting it through the support pages if you get time :slight_smile:
Thanks for raising it!

I rereading what has been brought up, one word may hold the answer to the riddle - looped.

The Descent ride is clearly not a loop.
Not sure of Nato.
Toronto TT is likely not.
Corkscrew I believe is.

The only one of these I am sure of is Descent, but that may be the answer. More testing to come.

2 Likes

Yes, RGT cannot add extra laps of a route that is not a loop.

1 Like

I had the same questions as these when I first started using RGT. It could be useful for them to display a help overlay in the ride screen that can be toggled on/off (like you can with Riders List / Segments etc.), that explains this kind of thing.

As others have said, if you’re wanting to ride on a magic road you’re pretty much always best to just create an event (group ride / race) for it, as you’re able to set the number of laps, number and power of bots, magic road style etc… With magic roads you have to wait a few minutes anyway for the server to start-up, so you may as well spend an extra minute creating an event for it.

If you’re just wanting a quick warm-up before a race or group ride then using Just Ride on a real road works better as they load straight away.

2 Likes

These links should help to explain some of the interface graphics relating to drafting and W/Kg
This first one relates to the drafting information.

Drafting physics – Wahoo Fitness Support

In relation to the coloured bars (from green through to red) along side your rider name, there used to be a graphic explaining all of that in RGT’s help documents, but a lot of the graphics haven’t been added to the information that’s been ported across to Wahoo’s pages yet. Many of the place holders for the graphics/photos are empty :frowning: I thought I had a copy of some of these in my own collections but sadly not. I’ve searched through our Community Facebook Pages but can only find dead links to the old help pages.
@Robin-RGT-FB-mod made reference to the new document for the W/Kg Power Zone Indicator here: Power zone indicators – Wahoo Fitness Support . Hopefully the graphics will be re added again soon!
I hope you can get some of the information from it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @RGT-FB-Moderator. I’ve been using RGT for about 18 months now, so have had the UI figured out for a while. I was just making a point that most new RGT users will have the same questions as @Critmark about the ride screen UI, so RGT should make some improvements to better explain the UI without users having to search around for support pages.

The images are broken for me when viewing on my phone. On my laptop they load fine though:

2 Likes

It is interesting that they worked on your laptop. Have you visited that page or the old RGT Atlassian version of that help page before on your laptop? If so then it might be that the images are cached locally by your browser.

In terms of improved explanations, wmdid you have anything in particular in mind? E.g. something along the lines of a ‘guided tour’ of the screen features when you first load the app? Or expanding the functionality that is available on the menu screens where clicking the question mark gives a help ‘overlay’?

1 Like

I’ve figured out what’s going on… the images aren’t cached - you just need to be logged in at https://roadgrandtours.atlassian.net to be able to view them.
(after logging in, I had to clear the cache of the support page to get the images to load on my phone).

Yeah I was just thinking of a help overlay that you could easily toggle on/off that explained the basics of why your power number turns red and the colour bar indicator etc…
Guided tour on first load would be good as well - they could include onboarding for connecting sensors, changing the graphics quality etc. as part of that.

1 Like

The in ride HELP menu links to much of the help discussed. I can’t seem to access the jira link https://roadgrandtours.atlassian.net but have requested access. This needs sorting out at Wahoofitness.com though

1 Like

That’s a great idea. In some screens there is a ‘?’ at the top right and when you click on it it highlights certain features with explanations but it’s not available in the ride screen