Roam 2.0 functionality

I am looking to upgrade to Roam 2.0 for more data real estate and the colour display. I have a Varia Radar which renders my Bolt LED’s useless for HR when a vehicle is approaching from behind.

DOES the ROAM colour code each of the data segments as per the Companion App Zones (Power & HR in particular).

If the Radar has the LED’s in use, the screen metrics will hopefully still have Green for Fat Burn, Yellow for Cardio, Orange for Hard, Red for Peak etc. Then the device is incredibly helpful (don’t need to view numerials, just glance a colour) - much safer, more time with eyes on the road…

Thanks for any insights into the functionality of Roam.
Shaun

1 Like

Hey @Shaun1 , welcome to the forums.

Yes. To answer your questions.

I have the R2 and the Varia Radar and they work together exceptionally well.

You can choose to use the LEDs for the Varia or not and you also get a coloured streak down the side of the screen. Green for clear, orange/yellow for when there are things approaching from behind moving faster than you, red for when these things are approaching crazy fast. You can also have audible alerts.

As to colour coding the metrics, I’ve got mine set up to show colours and numbers for HR and Power.

2 Likes

Having used both a Garmin and Wahoo recently, I dare say the radar part is nicer on the Wahoo due to the screen and implementation. (Random thought :P)

Just a note regarding the screen metrics and colors - these are separate data fields so you need to ensure you select the ones that include the color option.

2 Likes

The only thing I miss, going from Garmin to the ROAM2 and I don’t really miss it, is the ability to just have the radar on but use a separate rear light to conserve Varia battery life. I’ve got the RTL 510 so the one without peloton mode.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you, this last sentence in particular is exactly the outcome I am after. Thank you for the detailed response.
Shaun

1 Like

Thank you for the response, I am sold on the Roam based on your info and that of Glen.Coutts, thanks legends.

Shaun

1 Like

Same here, and although there was a hint somewhere that this should work now, it certainly does not.

Hey Sir @Glen.Coutts, you can do what you miss (almost) on the ROAM2. Its implementation is actually super cool (better than Garmin’s). I’ve got mine setup with the light off, radar on, and alerts on. This way, it only lights up when something (e.g. a car) is approaching thus using way less battery.

Also, congratulations to @Shaun1 for being one of the few people (along with Sir @Glen.Coutts) to spell colour correctly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I can not make mine do that on the RTL 510 Sir @simon I’ve tried, many MANY times.

Edit: I stand corrected, sort of. I can now have the light off and the radar will still make sounds and alert me on screen. What I can’t do, is what you describe Sir @simon, i.e. I am unable to get it to flash ONLY when a car or something faster than me is approaching. :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

Edit 2: I stand corrected, again. I’ve now been able to get it to have the light off, except when something approaches. It now flashes, and stays on for 1s. I think that is the preferred mode provided I can remember what the heck I did this time that I didn’t do previously. Has this been updated recently cuz I swear I could NOT do this last year?!

3 Likes

I’ve been using it that way since last year sometime (I think). It’s been a few months for sure.

1 Like

I like it! I tested this soooo many times…running at the unit from the kitchen to the dining room and could never, until today, get it to work like this. Now I haven’t ridden outdoor much this year, hadn’t even tried to change the settings until you mentioned it. Thanks for the pro tip!

Lol… I was so excited when this came out, I ditched my Edge 530. I had to use a 3rd party (often flaky) app to make it behave this way.

1 Like

There’s a lot to like about the ROAM especially with how much easier it is to set up in the CA. I also have a 530 but it’s been gathering dust as a back up.

Just tried that (RTL510, ROAM V2, rtl turned on, clicked the button to cycle to light off) and nothing alerted. Reached down to push the button again to cycle back to solid light and it immediately alerted on the next car.

1 Like

It has to do with the order of how you start the RTL. I’ll go test it now and get back to you in an edit.

Edit: ok @roland, I’ve tested. It’s finicky.

2 Likes

Now that makes sense. I’ve never tried that before. Will test it on my next ride.

The light of mode on the varia (with the button) is nice though. It gives a way to disable the constant beeping when riding on busy streets just by reaching down :wink:

1 Like

The beeping and the light are separate settings.

You can turn off the beeping in the CA while still getting the radar notice in the LEDs and the strip on the head unit screen itself.

I know and appreciate the beeping. But when you ride on a separate bike path next to a really busy street for a kilometre or two it’s nice to completely turn off the radar (which works with a press of a button in this case rather than powering it down.)

Do I need to repair my RTL510? I only have Alert mode. No light option.

What head unit are you paired with Sir Roland? Can you provide a screenshot of it paired?