Roam 2.0 functionality

I’m running the RTL510 on a ROAM V2.
The screen looks the same as in your picture. Just the last two lines (Light Mode, Auto Light) are missing.

Firmware wise I just updated last week since that should have solved my Best Bike Split Problem. So on the ROAM V2 I have the current version.

Back at home I can look if I brought both the ROAM and the RTL or only the ROAM (in which case I could test on Saturday) and send a Screenshot/Photo if that helps.

1 Like

I’m wondering if it is somehow related to how you set it up as a sensor in the first place. I am going to “forget” the sensor on both my ROAM2 and my iOS CA, restart everything and see if I can get what you get. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

Edit: so I was able to replicate the Alert Mode only screen, so you might want to try forgetting in both the CA and the R2. Then, with the CA off, start the R2, go to Add Sensor, put the Varia into pairing mode (purple flash, instead of blue at the little BTLE indicator), when the R2 finds the sensor, it should say Save Radar? You can then add the sensor.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up. I removed the RTL510 on iOS, which removed it on the ROAM V2 as well.

Then I got into pairing mode (violet blinking) and repaired it on the ROAM. Initially I had a screen with ID/NETWORK/ALERT MODE, and a second later the line BATTERY GOOD came.

I let it sit like that (still violet blinking) for a couple if minutes but no other settings appeared.

Are you using the 510 or 515? Maybe that’s a feature only on the newest model?

Also before trying this, it prompted me to do another update which I did before trying all this.

1 Like

Nope. Got the RTL 510.

Edit: @roland , maybe try the order I did it in. First forget from the R2, then forget from the iOS CA. Then try again :man_shrugging:t3:

Weird. I tried forgetting on the R2 first. Then on the iPhone it only showed under unsaved where I couldn’t forget or remove it.

So I paired again on the R2. Still nothing.
Weird thing though, now every time I turn it on it blinks violet. :wink:

I believe that the flashing violet LED means the Varia is in pairing mode. It’s also possible with all the turning on/off etc, that the Varia has been put in test mode. Try turning the Varia off (hold the power button for 2 seconds) and ensure that the LED is completely off. Then start the whole process again.

If you hold the Varia button down a bit it should change from purple to blue.

I wonder if there’s a Varia firmware update? There’s not been one in ages from what I can recall?

Also, completely unrelated, but are you Roland Philipp or another Roland?

@simon Yes, the purple means pairing. But usually just turning the Varia on shouldn’t go straight into pairing mode.

Testing mode would be noticeable due to the simulated „cars“ moving which would make both the ROAM alert and the blinking pattern on the Varia to change.

@Glen.Coutts I managed to turn off the pairing mode as you described (and it turns out it stops automatically after 5min). However I kinda want to go back to the times where after pairing it just turned on normally.

I let the two units sit turned off for now and try again in the evening. I’ll try and connect to my fenix as well tonight, maybe that’ll trigger a firmware update? Otherwise I’ll try my Edge 1030+ in the weekend, as the RTL510 won’t talk to the phone (no BLE) directly.

Also, no, just Roland :grin:

Edit: tried again on the ROAM, no luck. Will try updating the RTL510 on the weekend.

1 Like

I couldn’t get the light mode to appear either. I have the RTL 515. I just got a Roam V2 to test it out but I’m coming from a Karoo 2 where the light modes configuration can already be done through the head unit. This may be a deal breaker…

1 Like

Hey @evtee, welcome to the forums!

You’ll need to provide a little more info if you’re looking for some help and, FYI, the Varia pairs as a Radar unit (not a light) though it works as a light and has light settings.
Here’s the basic support article from The Company: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008745260-Using-ANT-Rear-View-Radar-Sensors-with-the-ELEMNT-BOLT-ROAM

What version of the Companion App (CA) do you have? iOS or Android?
Do you have the latest firmware for the ROAM2.
Have you paired the Varia with the ROAM2 and does it show up on the CA?
Are you able to get any of the screens (if you scroll up on this thread)?
Can you provide some screenshots of what you do (or don’t) get?
Have you contacted Support directly? https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi @Glen.Coutts !
Thanks for replying. I’m running all the latest firmware and companion app on iOS that’s publicly available. My varia is successfully paired as a radar but there’s no additional settings for light mode or auto light visible like the picture you provided. Similar to others, I only have a setting for alert mode. I followed your steps on resetting varia, forgetting a sensor, and re-adding it back again, but the additional controls will not appear.

Btw, yes, I also filed a ticket to the support team.

1 Like

… and I thought I was too stupid for it to work :wink:

2 Likes

Still no luck hey? So strange.

I assume you’ve put in a support request?

No luck, haven’t put in a service request as I haven’t been able to try the radar with the edge or fenix yet, and before I raise a ticket I’d like to have tried every possible step on my end. That’s the least an IT guy should do before bothering support staff :wink:

Not an IT guy myself but 100% agree. Troubleshoot all possible options first.

I filed a Support ticket and they recommended me the basic steps on how to connect the radar. I don’t think they understood my question so I sent a screenshot of the Settings that I want from @Glen.Coutts . Still waiting for a reply.

1 Like

Crap. Just saw that my RTL510 indeed has the latest available firmware. Companion app on iOS and ROAM V2 do too, so I guess I’ll do a support ticket as well.

1 Like

Just opened my own support ticket and linked this thread along with an offer to merge my ticket with yours. Happy to share insights and data if it helps getting us set up quicker :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, @roland and @evtee can you entertain me for a minute or 2?

Try this. Power on the Varia but hold it down for a full 3 seconds to get the purple flash. Make sure it’s the purple flash.

Once on, open the ROAM2 and wait until you get the beep that indicates it’s connected to your phone.

AFTER that, click the left side button on the ROAM and navigate to the Radar (provided it has connected) click more and go to alert settings.

Wait for 30 secs to a minute and take a screen shot of what is showing on the ROAM screen and post it here. I’m just curious as all as I’ve heard that the purple pairing thing may actually be required each time (though that hasn’t been the case for me).

Happy to do so :wink:

Done, blinking purple…

I didn’t get any beeps, but I opened the iOS Companion app and waited until it said connected.

It did connect fine (and alert me that I should charge it :wink:)

After about 3min I took this picture and called it a day.

1 Like